Suitable from seven months (pureed). Makes four portions
2 tablespoons plain flour
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
470g stewing beef steak, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
400g new potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 sticks of celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon of mixed Mediterranean herbs
300ml of vegetable stock (made with half reduced-salt stock cube and hot water)
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1. Place the flour with salt and pepper on a plate and use it to coat the beef.
2. Melt the oil and butter in a large saucepan and fry the beef until browned on all sides. Take out the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add the onion, potatoes, carrots, celery and garlic. Fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The veg will pick up all the lovely meat juices.
4. Return the browned beef to the pan and stir in the chopped tomatoes, sugar and herbs. Add enough stock to cover the ingredients and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes till meat is cooked. Check occasionally to make sure the stew hasn’t dried up. Add a little water if necessary.
6. To serve, sprinkle with grated parmesan.
Place salt and pepper on the table so grown ups can add more seasoning.
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk