18/05/2010 at 17:23
18/05/2010 at 22:42
19/05/2010 at 08:11
19/05/2010 at 10:03
Oh My word! I was reading on capt web side that socketes do have shutters in them to prevent children getting their fingers in them. I do have socket covers on all of my sockets need to reconsider this now (although generally harry doesnt touch the sockets really).
Thanks for this.
20/05/2010 at 20:52
Oh honestly there's always somat to worry you!! Think I'd rahter stick with socket covers to be on the safer side!!
20/05/2010 at 21:28
pups13 wrote (see)
Hi pups13, your response is not unusual, but you could help us enormously by explaining why you feel that way.
Why does it feel safer to you to use a socket cover which is not tested to any standard, rather than relying on the built in safety of the socket shutters, which have to meet very strict safety standards?
Please bear in mind that when you put in a socket cover you are disabling the built in safety, and many of the socket covers you can buy allow things to be poked in alongside them, which shutters do not.
We would really like to understand what makes people feel safer when they use a potentially dangerous cover.
Please do let us know, you can email me if you prefer.
21/05/2010 at 11:09
I feel that way because my children do not touch my sockets which have covers on, if they don't have covers on they think "thats looks interesting" then they poke their fingers in them or they stick paper in which gets stuck. They find them boring if they're covered up and don't go near them and have never poked something that small in the hole that enables you to get the cover out (as they can't see it anyway unless they look under the bulging part that has the hole in it) as they stay away from them with covers on - most people wouldn't have things small enough or toddlers/babies to pick up to poke in such a small hole (except paper or fingers!) anyway because if I did have things that small lying about my toddler would put it in his mouth and probably choke on it!
Also I have some of the old fashioned style sockets covers which have no holes in to enable you to get the cover out easily - so hence they are a pain to get out, but there is no way a baby/toddler can poke anythng in them as they are flush to the socket.
So that's why Ifeel that way, it just doesn't seem right to have an exposed socket with babies and toddlers about despite what you say about the built in safety.
22/05/2010 at 10:18
Many thanks pups13, it does help us to know why people feel as you do. The fact remains that for many reasons the use of plug-in sockets is potentially dangerous, as for the "exposed socket", it is only the live parts that you need to be concerned about, and they are placed well back behind the lower two holes. These holes are too small for even the tiniest finger to enter, even without the shutters in place. The shutters are there to prevent your child poking things in, and, unlike the covers, the socket manufacturers have to prove to a specialist test house that they are effective.
You might also like to contemplate the fact that of the 17 different brands of socket covers we have tested more than 75% have oversized pins which could damage your socket, making it overheat when a proper plug is in use. We are still doing more work on this, but it is a very worrying additional factor. Again, because there is no standard for socket covers, there is nothing Trading Standards officers can do to control such dangers.
22/05/2010 at 21:48
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.