Forum home Babies Baby

Do you/should I use cot bumpers?

Hiladies,

My little one is 6 and a half months and has been in her cot since about 10 weeks. She learned to roll a few weeks ago, and in the last couple of weeks, has started rolling over in her sleep. She usually gets stuck on her front, wakes up and needs turning back over.

She quite often sleeps on her side, and will hold onto the cot bars, and stick her feet through the cot bars, all whilst she is still asleep. A couple of times she has bumped her head while wriggling around.

I bought cot bumpers when I was pregnant, and didn't use them at the beginning as I just didn't see the need. I've read in a couple of books that they shouldn't be used as they are a suffocation hazard. From reading the instructions on these bumpers, you lift the mattress and attach the, from the very bottom of the frame, that way, once you put the mattress back on, it is halfway up the bumper, therefore taking away the chance the baby can get under the bumper and can end up between the bumper and the cot.

I just wanted to see if I was missing something, and whether I am safe to out them on?

Thanks! Xxx

Replies

• I think only you can make the decision whether to use them or not. We started using them at about 9 months because my dd was crawling up to the top of the cot in her sleep, and tried to keep going, meaning she was repeatedly hitting her head against the top of the cot. She would then wake herself up, and I was worried that she would end up hurting herself. I considered using them when she was about 6 months as we had the same problem as you, but the ones I wanted were out of stock and I never got round to ordering them.

Anyway, I considered the risk at my dd's age - that she might attempt to use them as a ladder to climb out, that she might press herself against them and not be able to breath etc, but decided that it would be better to try the bumpers and prevent her hitting her head. And it's worked, she might have tried to climb out (they have been squashed down in the morning on occasions), but never succeeded. She sleeps right in the top corner against them, but can still breath, but at least she isn't hitting her head any more.

With most things there are going to be risks, but you need to consider whether the benefits are worth the risks.
  • I think your previous reply was correct. It is up to you as an individual. My daughter used to bang her head too but personally I preferred that as a bump to her head wasn't as worrying as her potentially suffocating, especially at 5 or 6 months when they can't really move if they get stuck. I think once they are about 9 months it is different as they can easily move them selves around but if your baby is still needing to be put back on her side or back as she can't do it herself I would be worried she could get stuck with her face against the bumper. I would wait until she could move her self x
  • I have an air wrap bumper on the cots. Its a soft breathable material and goes all of the way around the cot. It stops arms and legs getting stuck in between the bars and is cushioned slightly to help with bumps. So, all the benefits of a cot bumper and no risk of sufficating.

xxx
  • I never used one, like a pp I thought a bump to the head was preferable to the potential for suffocation.

When my dd began to roll and get stuck I just rolled a few think blankets up and sort of wedged her between them, it stopped her rolling and worked a treat till she figured out how to get herself back over again.
  • I used them from about 5 months until ds was able to pull himself up, as he'd use them to try and get a leg up and I didn't fancy him plummeting to the floor! x
  • I used them until lo was around 6 months. it was like the onr you describe that is supposed to go under the matress so lo cant pull it up but freakishly strong Jason managed to pull the whole thing up one night and when I woke up his head was stck betweem the bumper and the cot bars and he was in a flapping panic. It scared the hell out of me and I took them off that morning.
  • we stopped at about 6 months when DS started to roll around as i didnt fancy the hazard of him getting caught in them, persoanl choice though x
  • ive used them with both children. i think it makes the cot feel less open for younger babies. my daughter is almost 16 months and still has hers on.

do what u feel best xx
  • I've never used them, always thought they weren't a necessity but more of a pretty item to make the cot look nice. If you really need to use a bumper, then I'd go for a totally safe one, like the airwrap. Just my opinion though and you ought to do what you are comfortable doing xx
  • We got them as part of our nursery bedding bundle and we have it in but only at the top of the cot she sleeps at the bottom most mornings she is about half way up, she has been rolling since almost 4 months. She prefers to sleep on her front, it doesn't matter how many times I rolled her back she would go straight back over, I tried wedging blankets but she rolled over those too ( she is very strong), I tried going back in when she fell asleep and turning her back but she would re roll hit the side of the cot and it would wake her up. I now put her down on her tummy as she then stays in the middle of the cot and is much happier and she doesn't end up stuck in the bars. I did consider moving the cot bumper but the HV advised against it so I didn't.
  • After having read everyone's replies I feel a bit like I have to explain myself so that no one thinks I am being irresponsible - my dd was repeatedly banging her head and waking up with bruises on her forehead. We tried moving her but she just went back. So it wasn't just "a bump on the head". We really needed to do something because she was hurting herself. I hope no one thinks that I am being irresponsible by using a bumper, it is something we had to do.
  • Hey chuck,

One of the "born in June" mummy's friends recently lost their baby when he got stuck between the cot and the bumper. If you want to protect them from bumping their head then I would recommend you buy one of the ones above...the breathable mesh ones. x x x x
  • I'm glad I've come across this post as I had (rather naiively) assumed that the bumpers were safe to use.

Suffocation didn't really cross my mind, probably because I am not due for 5 months yet.

When you see things for sale for babies in this country you assume there is a certain level of safety but as with everything I guess there are risks that we need to consider.

Interesting post and so sad to hear of the baby that died as a result of bumpers.

I suppose so much of it is knowing your baby's routine and habits and therefore if they are more at risk of hitting their heads too hard or rolling and not breathing.
  • We used one til LO was starting to roll then we took it away but then he started rolling onto his side and getting his legs wedged in between the bars so we got one of those airwrap ones and it seems to be pretty good so far. Also if older babies try to use them to launch out of the cot they'll just get pushed down so baby can't hurt themselves that way either.
  • Taken from the FSIDS website

Bumpers: In the past, there were concerns that bumpers might make babies too hot, increasing the risk of cot death. However, research has shown that they have neither good nor bad effects. Take it out when your baby can get up on her hands and knees so she can't climb out. Make sure there are no trailing strings or ties.

and the address for anyone that wants to have a look

www.fsids.org.uk