Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dummies/soothers - does anyone know ...

Hi all

Dummies/soothers are sold in different age range sizes (e.g. 0-3 months 3-6 months etc) Does anyone actually know what the difference is between them?? Do they just all get bigger? Or does the teat get longer/fatter or what???

Just wondering if I needed to buy the next one up when lo still seems happy with the size before?

Also some companies sel different 'night time' ones - again is there actually a difference and does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Replies

• Hey craftycharlie, how is your lo getting on? There is a difference in the size of the teat. Never seen night time ones and not sure what the difference would be, probably just a marketing tactic to get folk to buy them.
    xx
  • Yes the difference is the size of the teat. I also never seen night ones and I would say if there are ones they wouldn't be any different. They still probably wouldn't stay in and lo's would still wake up looking for it.
  • Hi my 10 week old got an AVENT night time dummie and the only difference is the picture on it.(picture of a star an moon) well thats the only difference i can see anyway!!! LOL,oh yea,and the handle glows in the dark,but not very well!!
  • Ruby had the Avent night ones which were meant to glow in the dark! I still couldn't see them!

Like everyone else has said the teat size changes
    xxx
  • I have just had my third child and I never knew this!!! I just buy dummies and stick to the ones they like!!
  • ok thanks for the info ladies! Through the day if it is needed lo totally happy with dummy and sucks away like mad on it but when ot comes to putting him down at night we are having a few probs settling him anyway but one thing is he will not suck his dummy yet give him a little finger and he will contentedly suck away. obv don't want to be tied to him like this so will but a bigger size and see if it works!

Denise - he is doing great thanks! still breastfeeding and he's only waking once at night now and he's 17 weeks - can't believ it!!