Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

gripe water/infacol question UPDATED another question!

Have been using infacol for few weeks now. Started DD on gripe water yesterday which I think has had more impact on her wind than the infacol. Question is am I right in that you don't use both the infacol and the gripe water together - I can put the infacol back in the cupboard and just use the gripe water?!
xxx

[Modified by: hopefulmummy on 04 April 2010 20:01:10 ]

Replies

• It's absolutely fine to use the two together. We have. xx
  • We also used both x
  • Yup, us too - what I would say about infacol is that it seems to have a cumulative effect, takes a few days to do anything then works wonders, likewise if you stop it you think you no longer need it as for a few days its fine and then...BAM...nightmare baby! (Learnt from experience, I won't be doing that again until she's a lot bigger!)

I also found it impossible to give LO gripe water without getting it everyhwere and its sooooo sticky! HV advised me to put it in her bottleimage

Good lucK!
    Liz x
  • Thanks for that. The gripe water seems to work better than the infacol in my opinion, but its nice to know that I can take the infacol when out and about as its far less messy!!
    Good idea about putting the gripe water in the bottle - I didn't think of that! I'll do that when I do the bedtime bottle - all she wants to do is sleep and there's mummy trying to put some sticky stuff in her mouth with a weird spoon!

New question - how do you know when to start thinking about not using infacol/gripe water anymore?? Its early days at the moment, only 8weeks, but just thinking ahead!
    xx
  • Hi again. Ok, firstly for infacol to work it needs to be given at every feed. It has an accumulative effect, making the bubbles smaller and easier to bring up. Gripe water works there and then for that particular feed. Personally I wouldn't put the gripe water in the bottle, because it can make the milk taste funny, so lo might not drink as much, also it can curdle the milk. But that's your choice as to what is easiest. I used to put it in the teat of the bottle mid feed, if I thought lo wouldn't take it at the end of the feed. Or I used a syringe from nurofen, that I got free.
    If babies suffer from colic it can take until they are 4 months to go properly. You can reduce that you are giving at anytime to see if they are better, and restart if they're not. But some have found baby seems to get even more discomfort than they started with if this is done. HTH. xx
  • Hi! Have always used infacol at every feed, wouldn't dare not to!!! So, it wouldn't be worth just using the infacol when going out, as it would not be as effective? I'd need to use it at every feed... I just need to decide whether I'm just doing gripe water or whether I'm using both all the time. Bit silly, but its not going to be a case of overdoing things if I did both, i.e. bit like taking parcetamol and aspirin to get rid of a headache - pointless as either one will do?
    You mentioning the syringe, thats reminded me that I do actually have one of those, will dig that out and try it tomorrow.
    Thankfully DD doesnt have colic as she doesn't cry about it, simply likes to happily burp and fart for half hour after feeding, just don't want her to be uncomfortable. I'll keep up with the infacol and/or gripe water for another month, maybe two then see how she goes if I weanher off it. Good to have a rough timescale though, thanks
    xxx
  • I use infacol and Gripe water together, the gripe water is magic! I use one of the wee cup type measurers you get with some cold medicine, it is marked out in ml and my dd jsut sips it out of the container. We only get a little bit of a dribble but it is far less messy than the spoon image xxx
  • Just realised I made an error before, infacol makes the bubbles bigger, so easier to bring up! If your lo doesn't have colic, it's your choice what you continue to use. You could give gripe water only if she appears to be uncomfortable after a feed. On the other hand you could just give gripe water after every feed. Or use the infacol to try to reduce the likelihood of problems. I wouldn't be using anything if James hadn't had colic. He's a lot better now, but will still wait until 4 months to try stopping things. Now I think he's got silent reflux! :roll: xx
  • Hi my dawta is 2 weeks an 4 daiz, she has a lot of wind that unsettles her. I am currentli usin infacol which doesnt seem 2 be doin much, is there anything else i can try??
  • Hi hottgal27, you can't give gripe water until 4 weeks old. The infacol has to be given bu every feed to accumulate. There is another one called Dentinox, but it's more or less the same as infacol, so you'd probably be swapping for no reason, but that's up to you. If your lo hasn't got colic, then it's more a case of persevering with the winding. You can use 3 main positions. Sitting on your lap, lying across your knees, or on your shoulder. I find the knees one, kind of loosens it, then one of the others brings it up! :lol: Cooled boiled water can sometimes help as well, but baby might be full after milk, and you don't want to force it on them. Hope something works. xx