23/01/2014 at 22:46
24/01/2014 at 06:46
This is a sore subject for me! Was booked in for ecv today desperate to turn my baby to get the natural birth I wanted. Signed paperwork got my meds to take beforehand then they rescan me and drop the bombshell that she's footling breech so they can't turn her due to risk of cord prolapse if her waters burst whilst turning her. I would really have liked to give it a go though but gota have a c section now x
15/05/2015 at 19:40
Saw this thread and joined just to reply really as I went through the EVC just yesterday.I can see some of these replies are old so I thought I'd provide a newer reply for anyone searching the web like I did when considering having the ECV done.
First things first , I found out at 36 weeks that my baby was breech (footling breech, meaning I could not even try for a breech vaginal birth if I wanted one) I saw my midwife one week later and explained what the scan revealed and she checked the position of my baby and said she thought that he was now head down but she referred me to have a presentation scan to double check and good thing she did as he was not head down but had both feet in the left side of my pelvis and head under my ribs!!
I then went to speak to a consultant that Monday and we decided seen as he is not in a favourable position even for a vaginal breech birth we should try the ECV to try and avoid the C-section. When the consultant explained the ECV he said and I quote...'' we gently try and coax the baby round but we do not force them round, and the procedure shouldn't cause you much pain but may be uncomfortable '' so I thought what the hell lets do it. He also said explained that the risk is low for complications but I should bring my partner with me in case I need an emergency c section as the baby's heart rate will drop a little during the procedure and if it doesn't come back up that's when they will perform an emergency c-section! My babies heart rate did not drop at all during or after the procedure and seemed to stay very steady and it is monitored closely throughout
By the time I was booked in for the procedure I was 37 weeks + 6 days which apparently is a bit late to have it done it is preferably done between 36 and 37 weeks as the longer you leave it the least likely it is to work because the bigger your baby is getting and the less room they have to move.
It was ECV day I went in at 1.45 and waited a while in a delivery room which was a bit daunting itself. Then I was asked questions about allergies etc . The consultant ended up being the same one I saw on the Monday who decided with me it was the best thing to do. Which was nice. Anyway they linked my baby up to a heart rate band thing to monitor his normal heart rate for 20 minutes and during this time they took my blood pressure , listened to my pulse and took my temperature and I provided a urine sample. After 20 mins they injected me in my arm with a drug that is also used to treat asthma, I felt a little drowsy for a minute and then my heart raced a little. Face felt a little lazy ! But heart racing stopped and overall felt ok just a little weird ( I could fully tell I had been given something) anyway 14 minutes later the consultant came back and said we were ready to start and asked me to lie on a pillow and slightly lean towards the left. I was offered gas and air but I said I didn't want any and id see how I'd go, the midwife present did keep suggesting I should have it to hand and thank god I did. The second he started pushing on my belly.... I swore loudly and began the gas and air , tbh it was much more painful than I ever expected and much more rough than I thought. My partner looked a bit concerned as he knows generally I'm quite tough and deal with pain ok hence the '' oh I don't need gas and air'' let me tell you something take the gas and air and start it before they start as it hurts like hell , it brought tears to my eyes,they did ask on a few occasions if I wanted to stop but I said no cos I wanted to know that I had tryed my best to allow my son to be born naturally!! Tbh it didn't feel as if they were pushing that hard so I wasn't concerned for my baby so thought man up woman you have to go through childbirth yet!! Well it turns out I won't be as it didnt work an
15/05/2015 at 19:45
So not all of this posted but hope it helps to be mums decide what to do next I don't really know how I feel about the whole procedure but probably would have felt better if it had worked if I'd been through the pain and got a result but as it didn't happen I don't think I'll be trying again this is my first pregnancy and I feel the experience has made me feel pretty crappy.
15/05/2015 at 19:54
Hi Lou1990, thanks so much for sharing your experience - but how did things turn out - have you had your baby now or are you still due?
19/05/2015 at 01:59
Hi there Danielle MFM , I haven't had the my boy yet but visited hospitals today and I am booked in to have a c-section on Thursday 21st May ( Thursday this week).... I am Terrified, I decided not to go for a breech birth as me and the midwife leader decided it would be too much for me as a first time mum, smaller birth canal etc and extra stress!! Thanks for reading my post , hope it helped, its unfortunate it only lets you write so much as there was more to the story! Are you expecting? Or have you got children already? Xx
19/05/2015 at 02:00
Oh I was previously Lou1990 but couldn't reset password so jus madd new name lol Danielle MFM
19/05/2015 at 11:57
Oh wow that's amazing - you will come back and post us a pic so we can see the little man?
My best friend has just had her third C-section last week, so panic not - you'll heal real fast and get yourself some Arnica from a health shop - it really promotes healing.
I have two girls - one 5 and one almost 2, they keep me busy!
One more thing, if you ever have problems logging in again or resetting your password, please just drop us an email to email@example.com - we'll always try and fix any problems!
19/05/2015 at 15:26
Thank you so much xx I'll be sure to do so
21/08/2015 at 06:03
Hi all !
I will be scanned next week at 37+2 to see if my baby is still breech, if so I will be offered this procedure. This will be baby number 7 so seems like I am a good candidate as there should be plenty of room In there. My last baby was born by emergency C sec as I had grade four placenta Previa. The whole experience was a bit traumatic so did want to avoid another C sec. I'm just so worried as I have read of horror stories after babies have been born dying after birth due to ecv that seemed ok when being monitored. I'm hoping baby has turned next week but really don't know what to do if not.
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.