Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Travel cots/cots abroad/baggae allowance

Hi ladies

Need some help figuring out what's best to do when we go on holiday cot wise....

I'm not up to speed on what baggage you're allowed to take - does your pram count as part of your normal baggage allowance or are you allowed that seperately? And if you are and you then took a travel cot would that be part of your allowance or would you have to pay? I mean, you usually get 20kg per fare paying person but does this all have to be in one suitcase? Or could I, for example, have Xkg in my suitcase and then the travel cot as the rest of my 20kg? (sorry if that's a really dumb question - only ever taken one suitcase on holiday and this will be first trip abroad with lo!)

Also, would you take a travel cot or would you hire a cot abroad? Our travel cot weighs 14kg (all in but we wouldn't be needing the basinette part by then as she'll be 9 months old) but I'm not that keen on hiring a cot. I'm thinking baby sick in the mattress etc etc......

Any help much appreciated!

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

Replies

• Hmmmmmmmm, dont know if i can be of any help,but i think it mainly depends on the airline you are using, some airlines for a very small fee, allow you more weight because of the baby, most airlines also you are allowed to take your pram.buggy till the planes door, they then take it from you and it is not included in the weight and you collect it later with normally with the luggage. You have to ask your airlines, i wouldnt be also keen on hiring a travelcot, you never know what happened before, and babies usually almost always DO something ;\)

Your can divide your luggage as you want, the most important thing is that no bag exceeds 30kg, due to health safety of the workers in airport who carry the luggage.

Sorry i couldnt be of more help honey, wishing you a bon voyage (sp?)

Love
    Renee
  • I've just got back from Spain and had the same questions beforehand!

We flew Easyjet who I thought would charge us for everything BUT i was pleasantly suprised. With EJ you can take 2 items of baby 'transport' for free. We took our buggy and checked our travel cot in (ours is a little life arc one but a big one is the same)

The baggage is just for your stuff as baby has no baggage allowance of their own. We managed fine actually. Lo is no longer breastfeeding so formula was the heaviest thing (nearly 1kg!)

We took a large carry on bag on board and a change bag. The only thing to note was that with EJ you were only allowed one piece of hand luggage each including handbag/changebag.

We took lo's spare buggy (Silver cross pop) and put it in a kiddicare buggy bag just before boarding. We actually also managed to pack our beach towel and a few other things in it as there was plenty of space.

We took way too much stuff (as we always do) I took lots of outfits etc for lo but all he ended up wearing was a vest or a sleeveless romper everyday!

One thing that was a life saver was our travel gro-bag. When we went out for dinner in the evening we would get lo to sleep in cot then get ourselves ready and just transfered him to the buggy and then back again afterwards and he was none the wiser!

Hope this helps and that you have a fab time!
  • Why take formula, nappies, baby food, wipes etc. when it is all readily available in the big supermarkets in Spain?   We even saw Cow and Gate products when in Denia, near Alicante last week.