Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Using hats for bed time/cold nights?

Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone has used or is going to use a hat on their los during the winter nights? I was always told not to, but why do they make sleepsuit and hat sets? I was told to use one when dd2 was jaundice, which was fine.
My reason for asking is that dd2 is a huge fidget and will never stay under a blanket, and she isn't keen on grobags. So I'm thinking a lot of layers and maybe a hat?

Also, do you or will you have the heating on over night?

Thanks for your time x

Replies

• Options
    I always thought you shouldn't use a hat overnight as your lo could overheat?
  • Options
    They always say that a baby should never wear a hat indoors. Something I don't get as when me and lo was in hospital he had to wear a vest, sleepsuit, cardigan, hat and 2 blankets for a week and it was boiling in there! When we left if had to go straight from wearing all that to normal amount of layers and no hat!
    I wouldn't worry about her head getting cold as I find that my lo's is always warm. They shouldn't wear a hat at night as the head is where they lose the heat if they're too hot. x
  • Options
    Hi hon, I always thought you should never put baby to sleep in a hat, because of the risk of overheating.

If she doesn't like grobags there are some lovely fleecy babygros you can get (??4. in Primark), you could always put one of those over a normal babygro or vest when it gets really cold. Laying them on a fleecy blanket helps them stay cosy too.

I don't keep my heating on overnight, but I know some mums who do.

• Options
    Thank you ladies, Thats what I thought about overheating. I never had a problem with dd1 bcoz she loved being cosy in a grobag and blanket.
    Kel-we were the same in hospital with both mine, hats etc, and I'd be sitting in a vest and shorts.
    Thanks mims, that's a lovely idea for a blanket and baby grows, i've been looking for thicker sleepwear, I've even asked my mum to get her knitting needles out, bcos I've struggled to find anything. So I'll have a look.
  • Options
    I was also told by SCBU nurses that came to house after we got home hats were a no no cause of overheating too.
    Does seem silly that cum with sleepsuits tho but I guess unless uve had children urself they seem a cute present to give people for newborns! Darn shops cashing in!
    Just out of interest I wondered if ud tried a jersey grobag?
    My LO hates cotton 1's yet loves her M&P's zeddy n parsnip jersey 1. Just a thought Hun hth

ICSIBABY xx