Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help! Newborn bottle feeding advice/Feeding on Demand

I gave birth to my gorgeous little man George last Friday, and we have been home since Sunday. I initially started BFing, but after 3 days of perserverance, finally gave up yesterday and moved over to bottle feeding.

George was instantly a changed baby, far more contented and happy, so I know I am doing the best thing for him.

My question is regarding how much/how often I should be feeding him (given he is only 5 days old, and was born slightly low birth weight for dates at 5lb 14 oz - so it's really important he gets what he needs).

In the day yesterday (first day on the bottle), he was going about 2-3 hours between feeds (closer to every 2 hours though) and I was making up 3 oz bottles, of which he was taking anywhere between 1-2 oz.

Last night though, he seemed to only be able to go for 1 1/2 - 2 hours between feeds (I am obviously feeding on demand, so he gets it when he wants it), and he took anything from 1 - 1 1/2 oz each time he fed, I think over the course of 9 hours last night, he took a total of 7 1/2 oz - but is this right/is he getting enough?

I have friends who say their LOs went 2-3 hours between feeds always, and always took 2-3 oz, but the most George has taken from one bottle was almost 2 oz - am I doing the right thing?

I am guessing as he is little, he may well just need "little and often", but I need to make sure he is putting on weight ????

Replies

• You're doing absolutely the right thing. Offering feeds on demand and he will take as much or as little as he needs.
    Every baby is so different so it's not good comparing to your friend (Something I at 19 weeks still have to remind myself!).
    I can't remember what we were feeding at this stage as LO was on SCBU till 10 days and I was mix feeding when I was able to.
    But from what I can gather from my friends, at the start, babies do feed little and often so that would fit with what you're saying.
    In terms of weight gain, you should be having a visit from your HV or MW and they can weigh George at your house. Alternatively, once you've been discharged they should have told you about your local clinic where you can go and get LO weighed and discuss any concerns or questions with the HVs there. So take advantage of that service too.
    Congratualtions on your little man, good luck
    xxx
  • I agree, your doing exactly the right thing. Little and often is what he needs for his little tummy. My lo was bigger at birth, 7lb 11.5oz so he started on 3oz bottles too and went three hours between. He'll get himself into his own routine when he's ready. As long as he's feeding often and is content and putting on weight then i'd say your doing a brilliant job. When he starts taking all 3oz then make up 4 oz and offer him that. Sorry if that sounded patronising and obvious, its just one of the questions I asked when I started bottle feeding a few days in, was concerend i wasnt giving him enough.
    Congratulations and I hope your enjoying being a Mummy!
    xx
  • Hi, I'm just starting bottlefeeding after 2 weeks of trying to breastfeed. I've found that the guidance is roughly to multiply weight in pounds by 2.5 to equal the amount of oz in total over 24 hours.So for a 6 pound baby you should be looking at around 12 oz per day (so 1 oz every 2 hours would make that up). However also says that every baby is different in terms of metabolism etc etc (I think I also saw something the other day which suggested the average multiple is 2.25 with 2.5 being max and 2 being min) so follow their cues don't force them to finish the bottle etc. But sounds like he is getting the right amount to me image