Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems

New here and wondering about cyclogest/progesterone

Hi 

I'm new to this site and am entering a new phase of our ttc journey. I've had five miscarriages, after miscarriage 4 I was referred to a recurrent miscarriage clinic at a local hospital but still suffered a fifth one two weeks ago whilst under their care. My lovely GP have me a prescription for Cyclogest 400mg twice a day from three days after ovulation, as it seems progesterone is the issue.

I was just wondering if anyone has stories on how this worked for them? I'm feeling nervous that this is entering a more planned and structured ttc time and thought that having an insight to others journey may help me be about to chill out about it!

Many thanks image

Replies

• Hi purplerainbow. So sorry to hear about your losses. I have good news from my experience of progesterone. I had 2 miscarriages (both around 9 weeks). Had lots of investigations / tests & they couldn't find a problem but prescribed me progesterone (prometrium) just incase that could help as my doc says it does no harm so why not try. i was given 200mg daily (vaginal rather than oral). I had to start taking it 3 days post ovulation, got my bfp 1st cycle using it & carried on taking it then until I was 12 weeks. I am now 24 weeks with a little boy! 

http://www.madeformums.com/lib/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

. Problem free pregnancy so far... Not even the tiniest bit of spotting ever! 

the initial side effects can be a little troublesome (hot flashes, headrushes, bloating, headaches, nausea) but its nothing i couldn't handle & most definitely worth it. 

Good luck & please keep us posted on your ttc journey x

• Hi SW2 

Thanks for your reply. So glad to hear a positive result.  Congrats image

I (finally) saw a consultant yesterday who was helpful and we have a plan a and b. I didn't feel too assured though as he kept saying if you miscarry again. He differed from my GPs instructions for the Cycogest in that he told me to take it "when I feel pregnant", not specifically 3 days after ov. 

We're going to start ttc next cycle but I can't help feeling a bit weighed down.down by doubt about it. As you said it's all worth it so need to try and focus on that! Thanks, I'll keep you posted!

X

• Yes def do keep us posted!

thats a bit odd of the consultant to say only start taking it when you 'feel' pregnant especially as some women don't 'feel' pregnant for a long time!. I would play it safe & stick with the 3dpo plan.... Take it 3dpo until 14dpo then test... If you get a negative test then you  stop taking it otherwise you won't get your period. 

• Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.