Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Kate Middleton's back at work 4 months after birth. How much mat leave did/will you take?

Hello

We're sure you've all seen that Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, returned to her royal duties yesterday – four months after giving birth to Princess Charlotte.

And that's made us wonder how soon after your baby's birth you returned to work? (If indeed you did...)

Most (employed) women are entitled to a full year's maternity leave but a recent report from the National Childbirth Trust suggested that almost half of us (43%) actually return to work sooner than we'd like – mainly for financial reasons, or because we're worried about the security of our job.

So, we'd love to know: how much maternity leave did you take – or are you planning to take? And does that feel about right to you – or is it shorter/longer than you'd ideally like?

Please let us know by adding a post to this thread. Thank you!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/1430590111_kate.jpg

Replies

• Options

I took just under a year's leave and it was tough on us financially. 

• Options

I'll go for the full year 😊

• Options

4 weeks, self employed GP at the time so expected some sympathy but NO, at the time others described it as glorified sick leave.!! Still I have lovely kids who went to lovely nurseries but in hindsight who knows