Getting Pregnant <
IVF & assisted conceptions
22/10/2012 at 21:41
So we're all set in our heads to start IVF next week but I've found out I have anti-kell antibodies. Spoke to consultant tonight and he said to go ahead, there won't be any problems, just will have more monitoring during pregnancy if successful. He's sending hubby for group blood test too. I've just googled what it means and now I'm not sure whether to a) just carry on and buy the meds ready for next week, b) wait until his results come back and start the following month or c) not bother at all. Apparently, if we're both anti-k the baby could need transfusions in the womb, could be born anaemic or jaundiced. I didn't get much info out of clinic, this is just what I've found online. Has anyone else encountered this?
24/10/2012 at 18:17
Hi, Sorry I've not heard of them before. Did you decide what to do?
24/10/2012 at 20:51
Still haven't decided. Nurse called me yesterday to say a form was ready and said that the consultant notes on my file said I was to wait for results, which is the opposite of what he told me. Then she said I can only go ahead next cycle if my period comes by Weds next week as she is off next week and he is off from Thurs. It's annoying that your cycle has to work around their working hours and holiday! Hubby's going tomorrow to drop in another sample. That seems pointless if we're not gonna wait for results. And he was gonna collect the prescription. So my head's all over the place at the moment. Half of me thinks we should wait for the results but the other half thinks that if we did have some miracle and fell naturally then we wouldn't have known about any blood problems. Why couldn't it have just happened on the first try like it did for my sister-in-law
24/10/2012 at 21:25
So what if you get the result back and you both have it? Do you need to be on different drugs?
It's horrible having to make decisions when there is no right or wrong answer. If it was me I guess I would want to know if there was anything they could do if we both ended up having it. If there is nothing they can do and we would just have to wait then I wouldn't wait but if there was different drugs I could take to prevent anything from happening then I think I would wait.
Is this your first time with IVF?
24/10/2012 at 22:27
If we both have it I don't think I would be on different drugs, I think I would just be monitored more closely if I got pregnant (I'm saying this from internet, not from much info from dr). From reading forums on other websites who have had it and been through it, it sounds like though the pregnancy might be more worrying than enjoyable and the baby may need treatment in the womb, the baby should be ok at the end and that makes it all worth going through. It would be nice to get precise info from the consultant though.
Yeah this is first time IVF. Haven't started yet and it's already stressing me out!
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.