Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

4/5ths engaged?

hi at my last midwife appoinment the midwife said baby head 4/5ths engaged does anyone know what this means? i am 35 weeks+. thanks xx

Replies

• Hi dont think it means alotcoz my first baby head didnt engage till labour was established and he was 3 days early. nexr 2 engaged at 34 weeks and they were a week late. Now 38 weeks with no 4 and showing no signs of being engaged yet. Though did get excited at my last appt where midwife wrote 5/5 but then she explained this meant she could feel 5/5 of the head not that it was 5/5 engaged. Damn. Getting v impatient now and am sooo huge am waddling like a duck not attractive.
  • hi thanks for insight!
    he babys head has been down for weks but like i say is now 4/5ths engaged so im hoping labour is sooner rather than later!!!!
  • Hi.. As midwives we must check the position and presentation of the baby in the pelvis. So this involves us feeling where the baby's head is located in the pelivs. So we basically feel how much of the baby's head we can find in the pelvis. This amount is measured in fifths which is according to an approximate measurement of the baby's head. Usually measure with our own fingers.

A measurement of 4/5ths engaged means that most of the baby's head has descended into the pelvis. You are most likely aware of this so called 'lightening'. You may feel that you can breathe more easily, on the other hand, it may be that you need to pass urine more often, as the baby's head rests on your bladder, or that walking is a little more difficult. Is this first pregnancy? Are you 36 weeks?
    This often means that you are maybe close to the end. Amirah (midwife and mum to b)
  • Post withdrawn by MFM HQ at poster’s request

• my midwife tells me the same as you lytechick and what ever 5'ths are dwn he can still come right back up again !(sorry)x my babys head was engaged (2/5ths)at 34 weeks i was so excited but im 39+4 wks now and last week his head was free again (so naughty)xx
  • Hi, im 36weeks and my babys head is still 5/5 engaged (free, my mw tells me) She also said that bubs can move loads before he comes out!! x
  • hi, it says in green notes pg 12"5/5 is free 4/5=sitting on pelvic brim, 3/5 lower but most still above,2/5 engaged, most below brim and 1/5 or 0/5 deeply engaged,in first time mothers this tends to happen in lst few weeks and in subsequent it may occur later or not until labour. hope this helps xx
  • 2bmum, did you get muddled up? lol any tips on how to encourage baby to get his head down?? xx
  • sorry I ment the otherway around. O station or 0/5ths means the baby is fully engaged. 4/5ths is still quite far u. But should be around 35 weeks anyway. Sorry for the confusion. Wa salaam.. Whoos, I mean bye. Amirah xo
  • mum2b, do you speak another language by any chance ? lol i may seem a little dim sorry lol well done on your career by the way at 21, i had my first pregnancy at 17 so feel quite left behind sometimes as i chose to be stay at home mum, would like to do something in nr future though lol
  • hi thanks for that i am 35 weeks + 5 and i have further MW app next tue so i am hoping the little blighter has moved further down!! i am feeling highly uncomfortable at the moment and gettin alot braxton hicks i honestly do not know how i can last 4 weeks!! let alone go overdue!!!
  • lol, im feling like that with 6 weeks til due date lol the period like pains are a right teaser lol
  • Hi I'm 36.4 weeks and a visit with my mw yesterday. She said my babies head is engaged at 4/5 because she couldn't get any movement from it, so I'm taking it that she could only feel 1/5. I'm going with what she has said because I feel so much more pressure down there than I did before and plenty twinges to go with it image I also think my baby has dropped a bit more today as even more uncomfortable today. Mw also suggested I eat plenty to make sure I have plenty energy in reserve and I cant see why she would be telling me this if didnt think I was well on the home stretch so to speak. I guess it maybe does depend where you live as to how mw does meassurments but I'm happy to take what she has said as being correct, mainly because I feel it in my own body too. Good luck all and I'm hoping I dont have long to wait image
  • I am 32+3 today and saw my Consultant who said i am 3/5. I assume by what others have written that I have a baby that's half descended?? But still plenty of room to pop out??

• hi i am 32weeks pregnant with my first baby , i am getting abdominal pain but midwife says this is normal , ive had a check over and everythings fine , the baby is four fiths and his head is down , im feeling realli tired and have aches in my hip area , and have wot i would describe as mild period pains told midwfe but she said it was my uterus expanding could anybody tell me if i am right in thinking that my baby will be cumming sooner rather than earlier ,as i would like to be prepared thanx claire .

• hi am 31+4 weeks pregnant and was at my midwifes yesterday she said i was 4/5ths and she explained tht the babys forehead was in my pelvis and she could only feel from the eyes down of my babys head, I defo think i will go into labour early with him goin down ther already lol 

• image have just been told the same! Think we still have a while to wait!!!

• Hey just saw your a midwife

i went to my 38 week midwife appointment yesterday

she said i didnt need the sweep as my babys head was locked into my pelvis and engaged

and she put down 4/5 on my maternity book

what does this mean ??

i have pressure and pain on my pelvis to the point i can hear my joints click ! I want to give birth already as sleep has become short and uncomfortable 

i have been doing all the natural stuff like the raspberry leaf tea and the bouncy ball lol 

• Hey im 38 weeks abd 2 days and i went for my midwife appointment yesterday and she told me baby is locked in my pelvis and engaged and on my notes she put 4/5ths engaged whatever that means. 

but wen i asked her is the baby engaged she said most definitely plus this time round when she felt the babys head she didnt touch my stomach (belly) .. she touched my lady part down south lol and pushed in hard and said the head was there. 

however i have just been feeling heavy and waddling as its hard for me to walk now And some back oain .. and constant trips to the toilet to pee but no contractions or even hicks 

• Hi ladies .. I'm 38+5 and went to my 38 week appointment Friday. Baby is 2/5th engaged and where I am from (Wales), the lower the number the more engaged. So 0/5 would be fully engaged for me. Other places may do it differently .. You're better off asking your midwife. I was just as confused so I asked someone local to me who is pregnant and she explained that the lower the number the better :-)