Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How did your waters break? Or maybe they didn’t break at all?

Hi everyone,

We’d love for you to come and share how your waters broke when you were having your baby. Was it a big gush as you so often see on TV, or different? Or maybe your waters didn’t break at all? 

Please do come and tell us how your waters broke by posting a reply to this thread. We’d love to hear your experience. 

Replies

• Options

My contractions had started about an hour and a half before then I felt a pop and a gush of water came out, then every time I had a contraction more water came out, it seemed endless!!!

• Options

With my first daughter i was in bed and felt like I needed the toilet I got up and my waters broke just like you see on the tv.

With my second daughter I was at my mother in laws - luckily I was in the toilet but I did have to borrow some of her knickers and leggings! I had jokes from them for a while how I flooded the bathroom (I didn't haha) 

• Options

With my first, they trickled a tiny bit - thought i'd just peed myself a bit!

with my second, they didn't break and had to be broken for me - then there was a gush!

• Options

I was asleep and it woke me up i honestly couldnt figure out wether id pee'd or if it was my waters (maybe cos i was half asleep) . I carried alot of water and it just kept gushing out it was really shocking how much it was .

• Options

My two girls I was in hospital bed my son I was standing up in hospital rocking on a chair to ride out the pain of comtractions and they gushed lol 😂 

• Options

I was asleep at 1st I thought I wet myself cause my craving was water so all I did was drink water all day even throughout the night then a few seconds later the contractions started then woke my partner up luckily we have a mattress protector I was carrying a lot of water 

• Options

My 1st 2 girls my waters didn't break. 

My 3rd girl I was asleep and woke up soaking went threw to my husband and said I don't know if I've peed or my waters have broke 😂😂 they just kept coming tho must have carried loads of water this time round. Kept trying to hold it in like you do when need a pee 😂 Didn't stop so realised it was my waters. Had to do school run and borrow my grans pants and tracksuit bottoms as was no sooner dry until I was soaked threw again 😂🙈

• Options

It was around one in the morning and I hadn't been sleeping well for weeks. I was lying in bed trying to get comfortable, but that night I felt different than usual. I couldn't work out what it was so I thought I'd try going to the loo (for the five millionth time) in case that was it. As soon as I got into our hallway there was a gush and they broke, I made it to the loo with them still trickling out and was calling to my boyfriend asking him to get me a maternity pad. He answered and then fell back to sleep haha, so I had to do an awkward crab walk to the baby's room where my hospital bag with the pads in were. They carried on coming out for the next 24 hours until I was induced. 

• Options

With my first daughter, I was 8 days late and had been having strong pains all night but assumed they were Braxton hicks until I stood up to go to toilet and a POP happened. Gush of fluid all over new carpet 😂 

second time was planned induction but as I was favourable it was straight to waters being broken. So again a large gush but this time on flat pads on hospital bed 👌🏼

• Options

My waters broke but only trickled so much so i was convinced i had just wet myself. It was only until i got up to do anything that more would leak out. I had no contractions what so ever not even a tingle. Phoned the hospital at 1am and was adviced to wait 7hours if no contractions call back. Called back at 8am no contractions at all. Was in invited in n assessed n yep waters had gone. Was kept overnight as risk of infection n by morning still no contractions at all and only 3cm dilated. Was put on hormone drip to start my contractions within the hour i had my beautiful boy in my arms.

Best of luck