Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cranial osteopathy / chiropractor?

Has anyone taken LO to one of these? or know the difference? We have tried everything for Harry's colic and nothing seems to work for more than a day! I ahve been up with him since 2am and i'm exhausted!
I have seen 2 dr's with him, 1 who said not to bother trying the above and one saying it works for nearly all babies (both dr's work in same practice!?)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Options
    I've never heard of seeing a chiropracter for a colicy baby - but cranial osteopathy is meant to work wonders, especially if baby had a traumatic birth (forceps, ventouse etc). My sister is an osteopath, and has had some very unsettled babies become different children.

Easy for me to say as I get the treatment free if I want it, but I'd give it a go if your baby is unsettled - definitely worth a try.
  • Options
    I know that World Cup Baby has taken her little boy to one of these.... I'm sure there's a discussion thread about it on our FB page.
    xx
  • Options
    Evening, i took Jacob to a chiropractor at 4 weeks for colic/constipation.
    I am very lucky to live close to the only chiropractic college in the country and they are amazing.

U do see final year trainees first were they take a full history of the pregnancy and birth etc then a full physical examination is performed. They then go away and devise a plan of treatment whilst a tutor comes in and does the same, they then compare and agree on treatment options.

Jacob needed 4 visits to help with his colic and constipation, they never manipulated him like they would an adult, they used pressure points and massage techniques. I was warned that some babies got very upset during the treatments but Jacob fell asleep during them!!

I would highly reccomend if u r having trouble to go to a chiropractor, they can work wanders but its not 100% guaranteed.

Jeni and Jacob 9wks colic and constipation free xx
  • Options
    DO IT!

We took Jayden for cranial when he was a week old as he had a forceps delivery. He had refused to breastfeed at all after my milk came in - think it was coz his jaw was so compressed - so he was almost exclusively bottle fed for 2 weeks. then after 3 sessions of cranial he suddenly started again and is now almost entirely breastfed
    in fact the results were so immediate that as soon as we got home from the first session he had his first breastfeed in days with hardly any problems

i am now seeing the same chiropractor for my back, which i would highly recommend

my inlaws all swear by cranial osteopathy - one of the babies had colic and was screaming all day every day for the first 4 weeks of her life - she stopped crying immediately when she had cranial
  • Options
    would any of these work for neve?
    i dont think she has colic but she suffers from terrible wind which does stop her from settling and sleeping....which in turn is really starting to affect me as i cant make up my sleep during the day so im averageing 4 hours a night! xxx
  • Options
    not sure about wind - it helped him with loads of things (inc constipation) but he's still a v windy baby

i have the same problem as you clare - Jayden is happy to skip his night feed now but is grizzly from 5am and needs comforting til 7am - today i just sat on the nursing chair in the nursery from 5.30
  • Options
    I'm currently taking alex as he's still not sleeping well with his colic (we're taking gaviscon for possible reflux and now I'm trying dairy free diet). It's hard to say if it's working what with trying meds and now a diet change but I do feel he's easier to wind and it's easier to get him to sleep

hth nic and alex 8+1
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, i'm still not sure. Hubby is very anti, and i'm not convinced LO actually has colic and isnt just VERY windy?! He doesnt cry at the same time every day, can be settled most of the time after 10 mins or so and has really good days, i'd say he only has a bad day every 2-3 days?
    He usually cries just before a feed and if he has trapped wind which he is a bugger for letting go of.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, i'm still not sure. Hubby is very anti, and i'm not convinced LO actually has colic and isnt just VERY windy?! He doesnt cry at the same time every day, can be settled most of the time after 10 mins or so and has really good days, i'd say he only has a bad day every 2-3 days?
    He usually cries just before a feed and if he has trapped wind which he is a bugger for letting go of.
  • Options