Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when to give lo rusks with baby milk / baby rice

hi ladies

just wondering when you are planning to introduce rusks or baby rice if you are??

x x

Replies

• Options
    Oo lol you are being risky bringing this topic up hehe....

I haven't fully decided to be honest - but . . . I do think it will be before 6 months. I am going to slowly introduce baby rice from about 4 months I think depending on LO of course - If I don't think he is ready then I won't. But I would like him to have atleast tried a bit of baby rice before he starts nursery (will be 5 months). Then start offering him some purees, then finger food from 6 months ish - when he is able to feed himself finger food.

He is quite a hungry baby really and milk does upset him a bit and I really think he will be much better off when he is on solids.

What about you tingletoes?

• Options
    Controversial i know, but i started this week!! My boys are 15 weeks old now and are hungry. I do 1 rusk with about 2oz milk, so very runny and this feeds the 2 of them. They only have it with 1 feed, usually about 2pm. I take 1oz of milk from each of their bottles to make up the mixture. They absolutely love it and are sleeping so much better and seem satisfied. I tried baby rice, but it's pretty tasteless and the boys aren't so keen on it. It's up to you when you introduce food, you know your child better than anyone. xx
  • Options
    Im not sure this time, we had to wean dd at 17weeks even though she probably wasnt ready but she was loosing weight and wouldnt take anymore milk. This time round lo feeds very well and eats much better than dd so i will just play it by ear and see when she is ready, although she is quite hungry so only time will tell.xx
  • Options
    LOL helen I agree about the rusks!!!

I am glad to see that other mums are going to be starting earlier than the suggested 6 months also and am very glad it didn't turn in to one of those debates lol.

Jackie - can I just ask (and btw this is pure curiosity!!) what made you decide to start giving them a bit of rusk? Do you give it them with a spoon?

• Options
    why do you say that - i dont want to start a row with anyone?? you have got me scared now image

i intend to start from about 4 months.... which is only in 7 weeks, but pops is quite advanced in everything else like sitting / trying to stand / reaching for things, and is also a very hungry baby so im hoping that she will be ok with it at 4 months, if not then we ll wait a while image
  • Options
    I think I'm just going to play it by ear, when DS shows signs of being interested in food/ milk isn't really cutting it anymore. Funny enough me and DH were looking at baby food in the supermarket yesterday and a lot of jars/ pouches were suitable from 4 months which I was surprised about. Personally when the time comes I'm going to make DS pur????e food myself as much as I can but I'm not going to be dead against giving him the odd pouch when we're out!

Hahaha ladies check us out, feels like yesterday we were all sharing our BSs and now we are already talking about weaning!!! Time is flying by!!!! xxxx
  • Options
    I weaned ds from 17 weeks.. He was certainly ready. At first Id make it around 2pm so it coincided with a bottle.. I used a couple of ounzes of his bottle to mix up rice\rusk then he'd finish the bottle after. We slowly built up from here. Hoping to take same path with Felicity.. X x x
  • Options
    Logan watches us when we are eating and tries to copy our mouth movements lol.
  • Options
    helenbrown... thats a really good idea, never thought of doing that!! i will start - although tonight prob not the best night to start.... currently supping on a corona with lime!!!

snugglenush - pops does that aswell, she was watching me earlier eating a doritos... and i felt really sorry for her like i was starving her!!!!!x x
  • Options
    Hi - i had to refind this post to say that I just tried letting LO taste a bit of sweet potato helen. I literally just rubbed my finger over a bit of my baked sweet potato i had for my lunch (it had nothing on it the bit I used) and he loved it image

OH was a bit nervous about it lol.

• Options
    im hoping to get staight to 6 months with breastfeeding and then go straight to finger foods (baby led weaning)i cant wait to start image xx
  • Options
    with sam we waited til he was drinking 9oz bottles, that was about 5 months i think image xxx
  • Options
    TBH I don't understand why they say to start at 6 months - surely you should start weaning when your baby is showing signs of needing to be weaned? It seems like 6 months is the standard answer for everything - moving into a nursery, eating solids.

So I think I will just play it by ear and wait for Liv to show an interest in food - if that's before six months that's ok with me; if it's after six months thats ok too!
  • Options
    My HV told me to wait until 6 months as there has been research showing their kidneys arent developed properly before the 6 month point. But to be honest, isn't there "new research" every 2 mins, saying to do this that and the other?!?! Think you just need to go by your LO! xx
  • Options
    I will be playing it by ear like with Ollie. I found at 5 1/2 months he was ready and started slow and built up also used the blw approach which worked wonders for us.

Will seems to be an even hungrier baby and it may be sooner but will wait and see.

Tip with baby rice that I would give is to mash in some fruit I found banana worked a treat as Ollie hated the stuff plain. I stopped after the first pack and used the fruit porridges after that which he loved.
  • Options
    im saying 6 months because he should be sitting unaided by then - which is when it will be fine for him to eat finger foods. he will have also lost the reflex that keeps food out his tummy prematurely (thats why when you feed a baby purees they push it out with their tongue) also by 6 months their tummy can handle food. if i do give him anything earlier it will be fruit or veg as baby rice and rusks dont really have any nutritional value image the reason you give your baby purees are because at 4 months or whenever, they cant munch properly because they cant really hold up their heads consistently, at 6 months they can sit in a high chair and grasp food and put it in their mouths so they have the skills they need to eat at 6 months image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning

there is a big change in the babys digestive system between 4-6 months (no one knows exactly when it happens) when your babies body can actually begin to handle food and break down the enzymes, milk has more nutritional value and calories so no harm in waiting til 6 months. also at 4 months babies have a growth spurt which is commonly mistaken for being ready for weaning.

its best to do lots of research before and find out whats best for your baby xxx
  • Options
    theres also really good info on the web and great books out there that tell u everything u need to know. weaning is meant to be more than just the excitement of giving your baby new things image