Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
06/09/2013 at 21:17
I'm 35+6 today and found out on Monday that my baby's breech after being told since about 28 weeks that baby was head down and being told only 2 weeks ago that baby's head was beginning to engage into the brim of my pelvis. I now think that they've been wrong all along and baby has never been head down because bump has never felt any different to what it does now (lump under my ribs on right hand side which is baby's head and kicking, as strange as it sounds, in my bum!)
Anyway, gotta go back to consultant next Monday for a review. I've been told they may offer me ECV (turning the baby into head down position from outside) and if that doesn't work or if they can't do it for any reason then i'll have to have a section. Being honest I want to avoid a section if at all possible as it's my worst nightmare! But obviously if it means baby being safe then needs must. I've also read that treatment from a chiropractor can also be effective at getting baby to turn.
So sorry to go on so much, just quite worried now as I know there's little chance of baby turning itself and been quite upset since finding out on Monday Just wondering if anyone has had any experience either with ECV or chiropractic treatment, succesful or not
Thanks in advance and sorry again for the essay post
06/09/2013 at 21:45
Your naughty lo is playing up already. My dd was also breech and I found out at 32 weeks but due to miscommunication I didn't get seen by the consultant until 38 weeks for my ecv. Like you I was adamant I didn't want a c section if I could avoid it but oobviously said I would if it meant keeping the baby safe.
I was told by my mw to see an acupuncturist but that didn't work. I was walking down stairs on hands and knees, laying upside down odd the sofa. Hot water bottle on ny lower abdomen and ice pack under my ribs. None of this did any good.
Ent for the ecv and I was so determined. Tge consultant tried twice to turn dd but she kept pinging back. He told me there was no point giving me tge steroid and trying again as I seemed so relaxed. I wasn't relaxed just focused! I told him I wanted the steroid so he gave it to me and pop! she moved straight away. It obviously doesn't work for everyone. I know 3 other people tgat have gone for an ecv since and all have had to have a c section. I would say it's worth a go. They monitor the baby'S heart beat before and after so will makesure eeverything is okay.
've heard that cranial oesteopathy is very good for
06/09/2013 at 21:46
Sorry, I hadn't finished. I think C O is goos for turning breech so maybe give that a go.
08/09/2013 at 21:25
Thanks ginger poodle! I'll look into that.. Due back at consultant tomorrow so fingers crossed fluid levels around the baby are enough for them to maybe try ECV.
Any other experiences would be appreciated xxx
09/09/2013 at 06:44
09/09/2013 at 08:20
Aahh thanks phat sue, so there might still be a little bit of time for my stubborn blob to turn yet then you can have ecv if you're rhesus but they have to give you an extra anti-d jab i think.. thankfully i'm not! xxx
12/09/2013 at 08:50
just thought i'd give an update.. i'm booked in for ECV tomorrow at 36+6.. been given a 50/50 chance of it being a success and a 1% chance of needing an emergency c-section on the day.. if it doesn't work (which fingers crossed it will :-/) i've been given the option of a vaginal birth which i was quite surprised about.. trying not to think about what to do if it doesn't work right now though as just hoping it will!
12/09/2013 at 09:19
My mw told me I could still have a vaginal birth as well but the hospital are really against it. They will do everything they can yo have csec if still breech. I contemplated it but I decided that a csec would be safer and I had to think about baby. Thankfully I didn't need ut anyway.
Fingers crossed your little monkey plays by the rules and turns for you x
12/09/2013 at 12:28
I have everything possible crossed that it works!! lol
It was actually my consultant who said i could have a vaginal birth - don't know if that makes a difference.. my mw's not even aware that baby's breech yet as not seen her for 3 weeks and not due to see her until next thursday! Just glad i've been under consultant care for something else otherwise the breech may have gone undetected as she's been telling me baby's been head down since 28 weeks.. i'm guessing it must be easily misdiagnosed :-/ but they're aware of it now and that's the main thing.
13/09/2013 at 20:09
Hope ur getting on ok and that baby has turned Hun. I'm 31 weeks and baby is breech. Just coming on to read up on tips to help try and move him. Thanku for the ice pack hot water bottle suggestion. I will try that. Another I am going to give a go is a torch, shinning it down the bottom of my bump. hope the rh negative thing isn't true as I'm rn but did have anti @28 weeks. Xx
14/09/2013 at 09:39
unfortunately they couldn't turn baby couldn't get him/her out of my pelvis to start the turn so just keeping everythin crossed that by some miracle baby still decides to turn itself! Got to go back an see consultant again on monday to talk options but they've still given me the option of a natural birth. I think if you're rhesus they just give you another anti-d jab at the time but don't worry coz you've got lots of time yet lovely!!
Just wondering if anyone on here has given birth vaginally to a breech? This is my first baby too
14/09/2013 at 09:42
sorry, submitted before i finished! this is my first aby which, in theory means my pelvis is 'untested' so to speak. Any experience appreciated xxx
14/09/2013 at 21:18
Oh hugs Hun. For every thing crossed ur baby will turn. Try the torch at bottom of ur tummy. I've been sat like it all eve and baby is certainly very active. Will try anything. Not sure about giving birth with a breech baby, but heard they can turn then u go straight into labour. I def don't want a c sec and will try anything too avoif that. Will they not try again to turn him?? Xx
24/09/2013 at 21:29
hi just to let you know i was breechm up until 39 weeks and by miracle princess turned on her own! hope this happens for you too x
24/09/2013 at 21:54
Aww that's great news Hun! I'm 33 now and still breech. Hoping hot find out next week when I see that midwife that he's turned although I'm sure he hasn't yet. It just shows they can then, thanks Hun xx
25/09/2013 at 09:35
i'm 39 weeks on Saturday and baby's still breech Consultant said baby can still turn on it's own but obviously very unlikely.. Really doesn't feel like there's any room for movement at all!! Lol Hoping for that very miracle Isteb! Hope baby turns for you Rileysmummy, you've still got time yet
25/09/2013 at 14:58
Hope baby turns for u too flossy!! Have u looked at the spinning babies website? Going to talk it over with my midwife at my 34 week appointment next week. Xx
26/09/2013 at 21:25
Hi, I don't know if this is too late for you but I had moxibustion performed by a midwife trained in chinese medicine. My little one turned within a couple of days. It could have completely coincidental but it worked for me!
I just wanted to say as an aside that you say you want to avoid a section but if it does come to it I wanted to reassure you that it's not as bad as you think. I ended up with an emergency section after all as my son's head was wedged (he's just as awkward now!) and I felt really disappointed in myself at the time but actually the recovery was better than my natural birth and ultimately my son is here safely.
26/09/2013 at 22:09
I am 31 plus 4 and breech. When I had 20 week scan they said placenta low and baby was footling breech. She's been in same position since so i think placenta must still be low. I have to have a scan at 36 weeks to see if its moved or not but I think because she's breech it may still be there so will have to have a section. This is my 4th baby but will be first section so am bit scared. Will be glad to avoid the contractions and pain of labour but scared as for having an operation!!! Let me know how you go on. xx
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.