Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

8 week / 12 week scans

I was just wondering, if you have a dating scan at around 8 weeks, do you also get a 12 week scan? As I haven't had a period for so long because of my cycles being messed up after coming off the pill (I hadn't had a period for over 100 days when I got my BFP!) the dr says I will have a dating scan at approximately 8 weeks. So I was wondering if I'll still have the 12 week scan...I hope so! And also, are the scans the same thing, just at different times? I'm so excited to have a scan and see my little bean for the first time...but also so nervous and hoping and praying that we'll make it to 8 weeks without any problems!
xx

Replies

• Thanks Becca - sorry to hear about all the problems you had. How far along are you now? I hope I do have the 12 week scan too because we're only going to tell our parents after the 8 week one and wait to tell everyone else after 12 weeks. xx
  • Congratulations!
    I would ask your dr about whether you get a 12 week scan as well - it may depend on whether the first scan is just for dating purposes or whether they also use the scan to do the nuchal fold test. If its just a dating scan then they may just give you a scan at 8 weeks and not at 12 weeks. Its worth asking.
    hth
  • Ah poor you Becca, thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the time goes fast after the 12 weeks mark!!
    I'll have a chat with the midwife about the scans at my booking in, that's on the 15th feb.
    xx
  • congrats!

at a guess i would say no. the 12 week scan is a dating scan and they can do them from 8-13 weeks accurately. if they have called it a dating scan and not a viability scan then i'd say that they wont give you another at 12 weeks unless you cry (always worth a try)!

i was about to start clomid when i got a bfp so i had a scan at 5 weeks to check sac was in the right place then a dating scan at 8+4. they cancelled my 12 weeks scan, so me and hubby went private for that one. the private scan was ??70.

but like is aid, its worth crying or even speaking to your mw, as mine was shocked when i told her we'd had to go private as they cancelled it.
  • Hi MrsS. I think it really is hit and miss. Like Calleigh, we were about to undergo fertility treatment when I conceived. We had a scan by our fertility consultant at 5+2 and, to be honest, there wasn't much to see. He referred me for another scan at 8+2 and, in hindsight, I guess this was to see that the pregnancy had progressed. We did then get our 12 week scan as well.

K 30+5 x
  • Hi,

I can speak from experience but i think it depends on your area and if they offer you the NT scan.

I had a scan at 9 weeks as like you im irregular, and my going by my LMP i would have been 12+4 at that 9 weeks scan, but i knew exactly when i ovulated but had the scan anyway.

Well anyway it was too early for them to do the NT scan, so i have another scan which is next week which then i will be 12+3, so the answer would be yes but depending if where you live they offer the NT scan, (scan where they check the risk of downs syndrome)

Hales x

11+4
  • happy mrs S - it depends on your hospital. i had a scan this week and im only 7 weeks. having another one at 10 weeks and im still having my 12 week dating scan! but thats becuase i had 2 previous MC's and my periods were all over the place! some hospitals will do an early scan around 8 weeks if you have problems like these (in your case you have) just to check everything is ok and that your not having a MMC etc and chances are you will still get your 12 week dating scan because they can give you a better EDD from around 11 weeks onwards. hope that helps xx
  • Thank you for the replies ladies. I guess it's just a case of waiting to find out then. I did originally have a scan booked for a week on monday before I got my BFP to check all was ok because of the irregular periods - but the dr phoned while I was there to ask if they could delay it as it would be too early to use that scan to hear a heart beat. I'll see what the midwife says and if she doesn't know then I'll have to wait until the first scan and find out then. If they say I can't have a 12 week scan then we'll pay privately because otherwise I'll be too worried about telling everyone (calleigh I'll try the crying first though!!!!!)
    xx
  • good. you can always blame the homrones. also, it will add to the argument that waiting will cause stress!
  • I had a scan just after 10 weeks because of some bleeding. They were able to date accurately but I still had a 12 week scan (although it was actually at 14 weeks), where they confirmed the due date as dated at the early scan, they did nothing else.

I think they let me keep the 12 week appointment, as they did bloods and loads of other things and called it a booking appointment, but some people did have theirs cancelled after early scans.