Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
23/03/2013 at 18:03
Sorry for yet another post about this but I'm just not sure what to do
Nutraprem gives Ben severe diarrhoea, but he feeds well and is happy in general, his sickness is average on it.
consulrant suggested milk protein allergy as he is unsure what it could be. I'm not convinced it is this as he has no other symptoms or skin rash etc, but has prescribed nutramigen - b has been on this for 2 days now and is constantly crying and acting as though he is in pain with his tummy and refusing feeds, it's also made him quite sleepy, but his poo is more normal on this milk.
we tried aptimel which made his poo seem more normal but he was sick more which makes me think iit isn't an allergy as surely he wouldve had diarrhoea on this aswell.
H has gone out to get some hipp organic as I've read that its good for bowels etc. am I right to try this or should I stick with the nutramigen, I'm just reluctant to be taking dairy out of his diet if it isn't necessary, and can't bear to see him in pain and being so upset. I think intolerance testing should've been done rather than just taking a guess
Hvs and GPS are very reluctant to help us at all because of him beIng premature so won't offer advice and his consultant can't fit us in for another 3 weeks or so
I feel like I'm being a bad mum by constantly messing around with his feeds and unable to stop the discomfort for him, and just want an answer as to what is wrong. Sorry for the ramble!
well as soon as we put him onto the hipp milk he is so much happier, he's taken full feeds every time, no crying or acting as though he is in pain, and we've had a dirty nappy which is the most normal one we've had in nearly a month, so it can't have been a milk protein allergy otherwise they would still be bad, so I'm assuming it was something in the nutriprem that just didn't agree with him, he's been so happy and smiley the last 2 days now so I'm glad I followed my instinct
23/03/2013 at 18:23
I'm just taking a deep sigh because I'm considering the same and feeling the same. The doctor told us that they need a week to get the new formula into their system and that their poo should be green to show they are getting used to it.
I think as a mom you know what is best for your child and so generally my advice is always go with your gut instinct.
23/03/2013 at 18:36
Thankyou lm - my instinct is telling me that he's unhappy and something isn't right but like you say you are meant to wait a week but he's not taking enough milk at all, so wouldn't be possible to wait
23/03/2013 at 18:50
I guess the problem is you have to give the Nutramigen time to see any result. Nutramigen still has milk protein in it, it's just broken down. Aptamil Pepti gave N severe diarrhoea and we were told to stop it by our paediatrician. He got on really well with Hipp before the eczema started. Skinprick testing doesn't aways show up an intolerance, sometimes it's just symptom based. Maybe try the Hipp and see. If he's still having problems it could be that he needs a milk completely free of milk protein which is Neocate.
23/03/2013 at 18:55
Thanks ll, will try the hipp and see what happens, he was fine on the nutriprem up until the last month when he suddenly starting getting a bad tummy so its so confusing as his reflux improved massively the last few weeks aswell
23/03/2013 at 19:08
So hard isn't it? N has been on five different milks so far, luckily Neocate was the answer. I feel your pain. Especially when the GP won't help, it's so frustrating, makes you feel helpless. Meanwhile you have an unhappy baby.
23/03/2013 at 19:26
this will be b's 5th milk aswell! Definately got to give him the hipp as his last nappy was very dry too so got to get something down him
23/03/2013 at 19:37
Thats my debate too, and when / how long do you wait before giving it up knowing they are hungry, one missed/reduced feed, two.. They say a hungry baby will eat... Well my hungry baby will eat, for a few Oz, then scream shortly for more, but then again as you say only take a teeny bit. She never did this before we switched. So I don't really believe that either. I guess it's a worry for me, but with B being premature, an even bigger one for you.
I was told in hospital that a hungry baby was a sleepy baby, which perhaps is why B is sleeping so much? But again, i'd want it checked.
I hope he takes the Hipp well Bailey so that you can at least find something to work until you can contact someone on Monday.
23/03/2013 at 19:55
b had taken less half of his normal feeds for the past 12 hours which has worried me, and he's still only 10lbs so feel like I couldn't wait any longer. H is feeding him the hipp now so hoping he takes it all. How long has e been in her new milk?
23/03/2013 at 20:02
I wouldn't be chopping and changing his formula without medical advice. I know you say you can't speak to his consultant until monday but I think in your situation I woulda be going to a&e either tonight or tomorrow morning, unless you have open access to the childrens ward and can go straight there.
23/03/2013 at 20:11
Unfortunately our local hospital doesn't have a baby ward and with all the snow I don't really want to take b out in it, I've spoken to my sister who works in neonatal and she has said that we can't make it any worse by giving a different formula and that its more important for him to be hydrated so we've given the hipp milk for now which he has taken the whole bottle with no signs of pain whatsoever, it's so confusing
23/03/2013 at 20:23
Bless him, I'd assume he'll feel better with something in that little tummy. Hope thibgs improve and as you say you shall soon be able to speak to consultant.
E started this milk on Tuesday, absolutely lovely at doing what it needs to (constipation and colic) but she is just fussing but I'm pretty certain the crying isn't pain just her not being impressed. I'm so sure it's the teats on the bottles being too small as the liquid is thicker but I've changed them and its made no difference. After swapping through 4 bottles back between fast and slow flow, she did 5.5oz just now which is closer to her normal 6 and now is flat out sleeping. I'm off to join her with my left over Indian takeout tea!
23/03/2013 at 20:26
Glad she has taken a more normal amount then, enjoy your takeaway!
23/03/2013 at 20:50
Oh bloody hell bailey I'm going through the same. We've been prescribed aptamil pepti but his feeds have gone down slightly since taking it. Comfort wasn't doing anything for him either. Let me know how this hipp stuff goes with him x
23/03/2013 at 20:54
He has just taken 130mls of the hipp, its the most he has taken in 2 days, he didn't cry once or arch his back or anything and wasn't very sick after it either, so at the moment it seems ok, just got to wait and see what it does to his nappies
23/03/2013 at 20:56
My sister said that her neonatal unit recommend the hipp stuff for babies having problems with there bowels and reflux so in really hoping it works
23/03/2013 at 21:04
Personally I would have stuck with his old formula rather than give him yet a different type, as I would be worried about causing yet more upset.It can't be good for him all this swapping and changing I wouldn't think. I expect when you do speak to the Drs they will prescribe nutramigen AA which is nicer tasting or neocate. I hope you get him sorted soon. x
23/03/2013 at 21:15
Thanks lwo, I'm going to see if I can speak to someone Monday, my sister has spoken to someone on her unit tonight who has said we need to get something down him because of his size
25/03/2013 at 09:59
How has it been Bailey? Any improvement for B?
25/03/2013 at 10:09
Just updated, he's so much better
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.