Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone been signed of work with tiredness/exhaustion?

I am a workaholic career girl.......however at 24 weeks I am exhausted, utterly utterly exhausted, I am soooo soooo tired all day long then dont sleep at night. My doctor is signing me off for a week with exhaustion - however I know you shouldnt care but I can just imagine the remarks at work.....because its not a medical problem as such I am sure they think i am making it up..........
I have been in tears in the loos at work all day (blaming it on hayfever I dont have!!!) I really do need the time off but dont want to feel judged for being 'one of those annoying pregnant ladies'
I always used to believe that being preggers wasnt an illness etc wow i wish i could take those words back............I am exhausted....so much for the second trimester burst of energy, im nearly in my thrid tri when it is due to all come back again......mine never went ahhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry for the rant, just wondering if anyone else has had time off due to this?

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    I didnt get the time off, but I went to my doctors twice to more or less ask for it...........and I felt 10 times worse when she just said it was all part of being pregnant and to just get on with it! So I think its great that you have a doctor that can see that it would do you a lot of good to be off work and get some rest.

Dont feel guilt, from the sound of it your not the sort to have time of for every little sniffle, so dont feel bad that your having it off now. You can never predict how your pregnancy will effect you at every stage.
    xxx
  • Options
    hey hon - have just emailed u but wanted to say DONT feel bad at all ok?! at about 24 weeks I felt like that too and at my 24 week appointment my doc was going to sign me off but I had a weeks holiday booked so didnt need to but if I didnt have that booked I would have taken her up on it. Later on she offered to sign me off again as I was shattered but spoke to work and ended up having days off and working from home which helped loads. what Im trying to say is you cant help how your body reacts to pregnancy - yep its not an illness but as u know it can make u feel pretty rough and you have to just think of yourself and your little boy and not worry about what other people at ur work think. make sure u relax and chill out ok image! xx
  • Options
    it is so important to listen to your body!!!

My sisters friend gave birth at 23 weeks as she didnt listen to her body - it was telling her to slow down!!!

On a good note she has a lovely 3 yr old girl!! xxx

MKB 28+3
  • Options
    Hi hun I was signed of work for exhaustion at the begining of my pregnancy and it was the best thing I did. I had such bad sickness and was so tired I was nearly falling asleep driving.
    Like KB says listen to your body,we all know pregnancy isn't an illness but its bloody hard work sometimes.

xxxx
  • Options
    I was signed off for a total of 13 weeks in my pregnancy (and I left at 33 weeks) due to a mixture of tiredness, sickness (which was worse when tired) and antenatel depression. I too felt like pregnancy wasnt an illness, but then just thought to myself if I wasnt pregnant and felt like this I would call in sick and not worry, this time i have a whole new human being to take care off and they're more important than any comments people might or might not make at work. Remember your body is growing and providing for a whole new person, take care of it and it'll take care of your baby.
  • Options
    Girls thanks soooo much for your responses - I feel normal now - had butterflies in my tummy all night about everyones reaction tomorrow but equally I am so happy that I am going to get the rest........

Thank you xxx
  • Options
    you rest up!! xxxx