Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bio/non bio does it matter?

I've just washed my baby clothes in bio wahsing powder. since then i've read you should use non- bio do you think i need to re-do them all?

Replies

• Er not sure but this has crossed my mind so am

**bumping **
    anyone know the answer??

xx
  • cant say i know try googling it? x
  • I *think* it has something to do with the chemicals in BIO being too strong for babies skin and that's why they recommend NON bio.
    xx
    27+2
  • Ok, I googled it and popular opinion seems to be that baby clothes should be washed in a non bio detergent.

This leaves me with more questions - how do you ever get the stains out as i have never found non bio to be very good or tough and when is it ok to switch to normal detergent the rest of the household use?!
  • You should use non bio as it is suited to a baby's sensitive skin - however remember your clothes need to be washed in it too as they will have contact with them!

Re the stains - Vanish is a lifesaver!
  • Oh no, I love my Bold 2in1!!

I have a 'thing' about washing powder smells!!! Ha!

any recommendations on a non-bio that:

- smells wonderful
    - works hard at removing stains etc
    - reasonable priced

Ta!
    Rach xxx
  • I use Persil non-bio. Smells really nice and I find I have no problems re stains. I think I pay about ??4.79 for a tub that lasts 20 washes.

G, Alex (16 mo) & JJ (7 weeks)
  • oh no!!! I will have to redo the whole lot! Got a free sample of persil non bio in the bounty pack i just picked up so am going to try that- will see what it smells like Mrs F!
  • Fairy also smells lush - i've even been using the conditioner for yonks and my clothes smell lovely.
    I tried the fairy wash gel out a few weeks ago and my whites were white - and smelt lovely too.
    I have a weird thing about washing powder/fabric con. smells too!!
    xx
  • MrsF I use the bold 2 in 1, i love the smell but in my Bounty pack I had Fairy non bio sample (it was in a blue foil) and I used it the other day as I had ran out of bold and it smelt lush so I will be using that one. I am allergic to Persil so not sure what their non bio is like xxx
  • Also read recently they advise you not to use fabric conditioner as it's to much for babies skin, but i used it with my son years ago and had no problems. But something else to consider.

Bio is to harsh for babies skin, so all blankets and clothes are to be washed in non-bio
  • It should be non bio as its better for sensitive skin, also if baby has dry skin not using fabric conditioner is reccommended.

I 2nd the vanish being a life saver!
  • we always used a bio for all our clothes (based purely on price as it gets expensive when you're having to do 2 washes a day) but now we use nothing!!! image

We bought some eco balls that have been an absolute godsend! ??22 we got them for, they will do 1000 washes (saving us ??120 over the 3 year period they should last we worked out) and they really work. I was dubious at first but now i dont even give it a second thought - you also get a tube of estain remover which you dab onto any harsh stains (new or old) and leave it 10 mins before putting them into the wash and it really brings everything off - even horrible old poo stains that detergents (non bio and bio alike) and vanish struggled to remove!

I have just bought two more tubes of the stain remover for ??8 for huge tubes (considering you need very little of it) so would recommend that over vanish anyday if you just wanted something to help remove stains, but I'd really recommend the ecoballs as it saves so much money image Plus you dont have any chemicals on the fabric so nothing for babies skin to react to.

xxx
  • Hi MummyStephe

Are the schoballs the ones you can buy on the shopping channels (that's the only place I've seen them). Like a plastic ball with small white pellets inside.....

If so, I was really impressed when I saw them on "bidup" bid didn't want to buy as I hadn't met anyone who had really used them, so wasn't sure.

If that's them, then I'm going to get some now!

Thanks
    Rach
    xx
  • not sure if the schoballs are the same ones - mine are ecoballs.. usually ??35 ish to buy but ~I got mine off ebay
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUKQ5fHomeQ5fGardenQ5fGardenQ5fStructuresQ5fFencingQ5fCV?_nkw=ecoballs&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=metpost&_osacat=0

i know there are replica's on the market (like anything else i guess) but i wanted the 'real' things...

The first three or four washes i went through everything to check wether it had come clean or not and after scrutinising everything i gave up looking for dirt as i never found any (and that included baby poo dirt yuck! :lol: )

xx
  • Hi MummyStephe

I meant echoballs - was a typing error!!!

Had a look at the link, yup, they're the ones I saw on the shopping channel. Right, I'm convinced, off to buy some then

Thanks

Rach
    xx