Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Constipation - Is it ok to push/strain??

Hi Girls

I am 6-7 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with awful constipation. I went to the docs yesterday and he gave me a prescription for lactilose. I had to take the rest of the day off as the stomach cramps and nausea were too much.

I literally feel like I can't fit any more food in my tummy, I have not been for over a week and I feel really uncomfortable and bloated and unable to sleep.

Sorry if TBI, I suffer from IBS and constipation anyway but normally if I ahve this I try and strain or push to relieve myself and go to the toilet.

The doctor said no heavy lifting or stra\ining muscles (I'm in the process of moving hosue), does this mean I have to wait for nature to take its course and for my body to make the movements when i go to the toilet. I strained yesterday and my tummy had really sharp pains.

What would you do???? I am eating loads of prunes and drinking abot 1.5 litres of water daily, its moving a bit, but honestly I feel gastly. XX

Replies

• You shouldn't strain really as it will tend to give you piles (lovely!) keep up with the fruit - I find oranges and satsumas work well too, and try and have a range of fibre not just the prunes, it will all help.

A warm bath might help as might gently massaging your tummy and putting a warm bottle on there.

Trust me, it will move, but it will maybe be tomorrow before it shifts - I feel for you, I know how rubbish it is!
  • Do not strain you can cause piles and fissures.

The only other thing I can recommend on top of what Mrs Chaplic has suggested is exercise. I always find walking around etc helps to generate movement.

Hope you feel better soon.

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/08m4.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev281pr___.png

• Thanks Mrs Chaplic, I feel so sluggish and don't want to strain or get piles!!! I will keep up with the fibre and fruit and have a warm bath.. thanks does anyone else sufer with this?? XX
  • i suffer IBSand constipation too and have always found lactulose works really well, if you take it with water after a day or two you may well find you don't need to strain my love hope it works for you ! i found that as pregnancy has progressed my bowels have improved! so there's hope .
    T 28+5
  • Dried apricots always work for me :lol:
  • Meant to say that before I got pregnant normal for me would be once or twice a week. The first trimester I was very regular...nearly everyday, unheard of for me image
    Had a bit of a return to form in the 2nd trimester but thankfully things are a bit more active now that I am on the home straight. Its amazing how pregnancy can change the pattern of a life time :lol:
  • Thanks ladies, I think its just a case of sticking with the lactulose, problem is at work I'm a bit scared of taking it, nothing worse than sitting on the loo in pain. I am drinking loads of water and have small bits to eat every few hours, rivitas, fruit and cereal bars.. Hope it eases! X
  • Hi Clayrebear,

Have you tried raising your feet a little when you're on the loo? Either with a small foot stool or a couple of yellow pages directories. I remember reading somewhere that this can help as you're in more of a squat position which is how we used to poo before toilets were invented!

Hope you're feeling better soon! xx
  • i also think its a case iof sticking with the lactulose, it'll take a while to kick in, in the mean time, prune juice and bananas are very good at helping, and liquorice if u can get any...(banas are very clever in the way that if ur 'too loose' they can help slow things down and if ur struggling the help to ease things, very clever fruit that knows how to balance u out) xx