Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
28/03/2014 at 18:44
28/03/2014 at 19:01
28/03/2014 at 19:02
28/03/2014 at 19:11
29/03/2014 at 14:21
i was at my booking appointment with the midwife yesterday and was asked if i wanted the injection to take a sample of the amneotic fluid from my womb i declined to have that dne as personally it wont change anything for me , i am still getting the extra detailed scan at 20 weeks and a few extra bloods xx
29/03/2014 at 17:06
I had our downs screen and we came back with a low risk (1 in 100,000) so fortunately we never had to think beyond that. It's a personal decision to make as the risk factor is just that -a test to tell you a risk of something and is not a definitive answer. Your factor is a calculation based on neck measurement, your age and your blood result.
Take it each step at a time and decide when you get ur results. Mine were so low risk there wasnt any discussion regarding chronic villus or amniocentesis, however, if it had been high risk (they suggest anything between 0 to 1 in 150 as high risk) we would have had perhaps a different view. My SIL had high risk factors with both pregnancies and wouldn't consider further tests and both of her children were fine, another friend had high risk results and had the amniocentesis as reassurance and her daughter was fine and born fine too.
I understand why we are offered the tests, however, I think it would be better if a more accurate yes or no test was developed rather than a risk factor. The only way right now you can be certain is by invasive procedures which are a tough decision to make.
Like I say take it step by step and see what your results are x
30/03/2014 at 22:10
i agree with everything mrw2012 said lol just all of it hope it's all ok for you and your bub hun no matter what you decide to do hope you have a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy xxxxx
31/03/2014 at 09:52
I had the bloods and nuchal fold measured (3.7) and was given a ratio of 1:18 for my baby having down's syndrome. Before I received the ratio i was adamant that i wouldnt have the CVS test as I didnt want to risk losing my baby. The risk of miscarriage is 1:100. In comparison, my baby had more chance of having downs than dying as a result of the test, if that makes sense... once i received the ratio i decided to go ahead with the CVS because I have a son already and needed to be prepared if this baby did have anything wrong with him (there are other syndromes not just down's)- i would never have terminated the pregnancy- just needed to know in advance so that i could prepare myself before the birth.
The CVS isnt a nice procedure, for me it hurt like hell- they had to do it twice because they fudged up first time round. That was back in december and i dont regret doing it. There are other ladies out there who have had the same procedure or amniocentesis and didnt think it was that bad- i guess i was unlucky with how much it hurt me lol
It is a very personal decision but for me, it was worth knowing 100% that my little man didn't have anything wrong with him instead of worrying for the rest of my pregnancy lol xx
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.