Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
21/04/2014 at 19:13
21/04/2014 at 19:23
tbh id seriously consider it, i had my waters broken, L became distressed and there was no time for an epidural and i needed to be intubated for a crash section, if the epidural was in then id still have had emergency section but not in the extreme emergency that it was.
also if they are saying that placenta not as effective, in all honesty id be doing everything they said to get baby out NOW
i really think its worth considering the epidural, obiviously that is my opinion, and i know you are well researched but i do think it needs some serious thought.
also is the dr there to discuss things with you? its just difficult us giving opinions iyswim, as every situation different, and the dr will have examined you so can offer advice specific to you iyswim.
good luck really hope things kick off asap
21/04/2014 at 19:33
I had my waters broken during induction, I also had an unfavourable cervix and was just about 1cm. They had 3 attempts and then the doctor had to do it but she managed it (which everyone was surprised about) at that point I was also advised an epidural but declined as nothing had started as yet. I also was taken for an EMCS 30 mins later, but my baby was already distressed prior to the breaking of waters which is why they attempted it (now I wonder why they tried instead of going straight to the section).
If it was me I think I'd be worried about how high your risk of EMCS is, as I maybe would have the epidural to avoid a situation like red fraggle. I had time to have an epidural prior to my section and now I have had one would not hesitate in having another (I was adamant I wouldn't have one and petrified of it before this labour)
21/04/2014 at 19:44
21/04/2014 at 19:51
No experience of your particular situation but when I had my waters broken with #1 things progressed very rapidly and I would've paid good money for time for an epidural!
WEES. I'm no medic but you aren't beyond the realms of needing a section, you're good to go if that's needed and if not then you've got pain relief at the ready. I know this isn't the birth you thought you'd be having but it's the means to an amazing end x
21/04/2014 at 19:52
Discuss with them what happens if you get an epi but still need a cs. I had my waters broken prior to my epi but then needed an emcs and they would have preferred me to have had a spinal (I don't understand the difference). Having an epi for a cs increases the chance of needed a ga during the procedure (I can't remember why this was though).
To be honest in your shoes with the placenta issue I'd be begging for a cs right now.
21/04/2014 at 19:53
I'm not sure we've ever talked on here but I have been following your story for months and I will admit, have sat on my hands and not replied.
I felt compelled to log in and reply tonight.
In all honesty, I'm feeling really nervous waiting for you to have this baby. If I'd been told my placenta wasn't being as efficient, I'd be demanding that that baby was taken out NOW.
I've heard you talk about wanting to get back to work in the minimum time which may hindering your thoughts about having a section but will you please think of the bigger picture of the safety of your baby. Your work will survive the six weeks without you, honestly they will.
I really hope your baby arrives speedily and more importantly, safely.
21/04/2014 at 19:56
TP that's something I forgot to say to check, in my trust you have both an epidural and a spinal for a CS- no idea why!
21/04/2014 at 19:57
21/04/2014 at 20:06
Had my waters broken during induction also and things then moved very quickly. I was 3cm at the time of waters being broken though.
21/04/2014 at 20:39
Having been overdue and refused induction, so coming from a similar place to you, if I was told my placenta was deteriorating I would want the baby out now. I wouldn't be faffing around with breaking waters I would be asking for a section. Recovery from a planned section is going to be much quicker than if you labour and then end up with one. If work is the key driver I reckon c-s wise I could have been back in an office based job within 2 weeks.
21/04/2014 at 20:43
Hope everything works well for you Counter and most importantly little Baxter.
21/04/2014 at 21:14
Curious, how do they break your waters if your cervix is closed?
Tbh in your situation id ask to go straight to section
21/04/2014 at 22:15
I agree with the others. I wouldn't be faffing around with trying to break the waters. The welfare of the baby is paramount so a CS would be the best option.
21/04/2014 at 23:14
Weekender, they do it very painfully!!! They forced their way in to break my waters on just G&A.
Counter, take the epidural. Trust me. It was the most traumatic experience of my life feeling what they were doing to me. It's quite violent when they have to yank your cervix around the baby's head, straighten it out to get the hook in and actually force the finger and hook through a closed cervix into your womb! Tbh though I would also just go straight to section, you've tried your best for a natural birth but obviously your body isn't ready or willing, and baby really does need to come out now.
21/04/2014 at 23:18
Good god OB that's bloody horrific I hope you have all recovered well.
There's not been a response from counter so hopefully things have kicked off good and proper and baby on the way now.
21/04/2014 at 23:44
Hi ladies quick update. Placenta was working less efficiently - as is expected at this stage. Flows still satisfactory. I was offered to be sent home until tomorrow as obs all good. But asked to stay and try gels. No one we've seen so far wanted to give me a CS, about 5 times over the last 1.5 weeks someone has wanted to try and break my waters, but it just was never physically possible. Every consultant believed waters was the way to go.
The on-call doctor got me in stirrups with gas and air, got me to 2cm dilated and ruptured the membranes (cervix had moved forward since Sat but no other real progress).
There's meconium so I'm to be given the drip from midnight, cannula is in and we go from there. Definitely not what I had hoped for but this baby needs to come out! :)
22/04/2014 at 05:37
Good luck counter glad to see things moving on. What did they say re meconium? I thought that was a sign if distress and more often than not led to EMCS?? I could be wrong but that's the impression I got, to try to avoid meconium aspiration.
I know it's far from what you wanted but I think you are right now holding your hands up and saying enough is enough in the grand scene of things the way baby gets out is not important, just so long as its safe and healthy.
Good luck and will check later for BA x
22/04/2014 at 05:50
22/04/2014 at 06:16
Still in labour. Have internal fetal monitoring now. Baby seems very well - from the monitoring. They think baby may well have pooed just due to overdates, they're not worried at this stage at all. I always thought meconium = distress/panic but apparently not. Thank you for the kind wishes & support xx (GENUINELY forgot how much this hurts)
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.