Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

False labour / long latent phase tips

Hi ladies, I am now 37+5 and been having a few spells of regular painful contractions which stop and period and back cramps. Again these last a good few hours and then disappear. Initially I was exhausted (contracting painfully for 5 hours a night really had to focus on them) and looking after my toddler in the day was so hard. In fact I started thinking t was because I don't feel 100% able to do it on a day when he's not in nursery as I can't let him see me in full blown labour. ? Who knows? I'm doing better after tying to ignore it and do a mixture of getting on with things and resting. Th resting is easier now the back of my mind says it could kick off for real at anybody these times.image But does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I'm trying to take a day at a time and only plan small things so I'm distracted and active but equally nothing too hard to cancel or too demanding. Also if anyone can let me know how long their latent phase or false labours lasted that'd be a real comfort. It's a hard time and most of my friends were lucky enough not to go through it like this. With my first I had a week of false labour some days on and some days off but that wasn't as painful as this time. Also we ended up being induced for a complication at 39+6 so I think deep down I'm wondering if my body is capable of tipping over into labour. It's almost like it's my first labour really because induction was so different and t got going full pelt in two hours.image Any stories to share or reassurance would be great and make me feel heaps better. Xx

Replies

• Hi Tulip, You have my complete sympathy. The same thing started happening with me at 36 weeks image. I ended up in l&d with regular contractions coming every 5 minutes but they wern't doing anything so was allowed to go home. I have days where I'm in tears with the pain and as soon as I get excited its the real thing they stop. Maybe I should get excited sooner save the painimage. I have found that lavender oil is brilliant for taking the edge off and relaxing me. Also as hard as it can be try getting some sleep it takes a while but once I'm asleep they tend to tail off and stop. I have also been making myself walk loads which helps

and only sit on my gym ball bouncing can be a distraction in itself. My midwife says its the joys of 2nd babies and there heads popping in and out. Do you no what position your baby is? Mine is back to back so have been told its my bodies way of trying to turn her into the right position. This will be of no comfort to you but I'm now 40+3 and after a sweep on Tuesday she seems to be determind to stay put image. X
  • Feel so sorry for u! Never made it to my 39th week and glad I didn't lol. Fx for lotsa babies soon x

• Oh god. Good luck for your sweep!

I would agree with your midwife. My first labour was terrible and ended in c section because my baby was big and back to back. The combination was the problem.

But they often turn when you are mid contraction. Contractions help.

I guess avoid tilting back in the sofa and drive leaning forward if you can. You're probably doing all of this?image

I think I'm doing ok considering and knowing how terrible I was yesterday. Just hope I can keep a cool head a bit longer. I'm tying to believe we will atleast make 40 weeks so I don't keep getting excited and then disappointed and on that roller coaster.

Oh and baby is head down and seems to be pivoting in there between being on the left and on the right hand side.

My placenta is anterior so I think he or she will find it difficult to be back down my front completely. The midwife suggests the left side is better so I'm sleeping on that side religiously.

Driving is out because I can't fit behind the wheel unless I slouch.

Maybe I should follow your lead and be on the birthing ball more. Hope you've not got much longer to wait. X
  • I'm not hopeful this one will turn my DD didn't and she was 10 days late so I have a feeling I'm on for a repeat performance.

It's horrible isn't it I have found I'm in a vicious circle now of being either tired or in pain or both. I don't know if its just me but I have found myself being really short with people and have lost all patience. I have now decided that I'm just going concent
  • ***concentrate on everything but having a baby for the time being.

Sounds like your really uncomfortable and baby isn't making it any easier for you. Hopefully they get into position soon and stay put. Would def recomend spending as much time on ball as possible and lots of walking I have found since her heads engaged properly the pain and pressure has eased and walking is a little easier.

Driving is out of the question for me as well I feel like an old lady trying to get in and out of the seat lol.

FX your lil one will be here soon and you have an easier time than your 1st labour. They say 2nd time is meant to be easier (we shall see) x
  • I'm doing ok. Same as you I'm trying to distract myself, relax and not get too excited every time it kicks off again.

Wishing you good luck for your arrival too. I think being short with people

Is sometimes a sign of impending labour. I'm sure it's not as bad as you feel though and people will get over it.image

Fingers crossed 2nd labour inverter and we will both be exchanging birth stories here very soon.. .

Take care of yourself xx
  • How are you going tink?
  • Hey, still waiting 5 days over now image I Have had a crazy weekend DD is 5 today so had a party with 15 kids yesterday (I must be mad) and then a little family tea party today. Least it's been a distraction.

Pains have kicked up a gear but have a feeling this is down to over doing it. 2nd Sweep tomoz so fingers crossed.

How are you getting on? You still suffering? Have you been ok with the heat this weekend?

Hopefully we will both have news very soon x
  • Hi

Wow what a busy weekend!

Pehaps mentally you've been waiting to get through that first?

Hope you've been able to rest since.

Well my contractions have been less painful or less often or perhaps I am just sinuses to them now!? Been sleeping generally a bit better but still shattered.

I've woken feeling a bit of nausea the past two days and getting more cramps and backache in general. I don't think it's constant. Been quite off food so having to remind myself to eat.

On Sunday I had extreme pelvic pain and the midwife confirmed baby has now fully engaged and is way way down.

Yesterday afternoon I lost the weeniest bit of clear plug but absolutely nothing since. Not even real discharge.

So I'm in real limbo. Trying to keep calm and carry on as they say. Feeling quite tired so might try to get a quick nap in this afternoon.

I think nice had a bit of nesting kick in because I'm obsessed with catching up on washing and hoovering and unpacking anything the baby might possibly need. Yeaterday I put up a changing table and loads of bibs and muslins etc. even things we want use for weeks!

Today is washing and putting on the sheets to the crib I think. image

Last time we were in hospital for five days so didn't need anything set immediately but fingers crossed if we get a vbac it will be home sooner for us all. X
  • I'm glad that your sleeping a little better and sounds like your slightly more comfortable. Think things are a lot easier if your not as tired.

Sounds like everything is heading in the right direction and your getting really good signs image fingers crossed you won't have much longer to wait.

I found I lost my appetite when baby dropped think we just run out of room at the end. Try going back to little and often. I found that helps with the nausea and I don't feel so uncomfortable.

I no what you mean about nesting as soon as I finish cleaning I start again. I keep repacking my hospital bag lol.

I was the same about 36 weeks I started assembling everything that was in a box regardless of whether we would need it lol.

Fingers crossed this time you will get your VBac and be home really quick.

I know I plan on spending as little time as possible at the hospital. Think having one at home already makes you more determind to get home especially after not a great 1st experience. X
  • Hope things get going for you soon ladies , wish the nesting instinct would rub off on me , have been meaning to put the washing out all day , but it keeps on spitting on n off , 

How did the 2nd sweep go tink? hope it kick starts things, have you got a birth ball - been bouncing on mine most of the day but really tired so might catch 40 winks in a minute ,hope dd had a lovely birthday x x 

Hope you got your sleep tulip , it's difficult finding the balance between getting things going n getting enough rest isn't it , I've put the outer skirt on the moses basket but leaving the sheets til we come home with the baby , going to try a sleeping bag again - Lily didn't get on with them so used sheets n blankets , will have to see how we get on this time x x 

• Hey evemum

Saw your update on the other thread re sweep glad it went well. Fingers crossed it kick starts things for you image.

I'm sure the nesting will come and then you will drive yourself mad lol.

Well over 24hrs since 2nd sweep and nothing image induction is looking to be Sunday so least the end is in sight.

DD had a great bday thanks and is glad she doesn't have to share her birthday lol.

I love the sleeping bags and hope this little one does to image I agree it is hard trying to find the balance between doing everything and getting rest especially when it's not your 1st I never remember being this tired with DD.

Hopefully not much longer to wait ladies and our babies will make an appearance image xx
  • Good luck ladies.

It is difficult getting the balance right. I think true labour will get going regardless of activity. So my philosophy is going to be resting now as much as possible and gentle walks.

Had a horrible day yesterday. Contractions for 9 hours with no progress and a hospital visit for an awful internal and ctg.

Trying to forget about it and not let it impact how my birth goes when it kicks off.

Trying to assume I will go to 42 weeks now for my sanity and ignore every pain, nsusea pang, contraction and headache.image
  • I agree I just wish real labour would hurry up and start lol.

Sounds like you a rough day yesterday hope your resting today! Have things settled down today? I know it's hard but try and forget about it and think positive for the real thing. I've had an awful time with my hospital but just try and put it to the back of my mind.

Def keep thinking as 42 weeks as the end I wish I'd used it as my due date sick of the constant texts etc asking if I've ha the baby yet.

Currently waiting for MW to come and give me another sweep. 3rd time lucky I hope image. Xx
  • These babies are definitley giving us a run for our money aren't they !! naughty babies !! 

They definitley come when they're ready n not before ,,, very frustrating !! 

Sorry to hear you had a rough day tulip , you never know - the internaL might have stirred things up a bit , but like you said have 42 weeks in mind then anything less is a bonus  x x 

Really hope the 3rd sweep is your lucky charm tink , the waiting n wondering is hard going isn't it , hope you have her before Sunday x

Was dds' last sports day at primary today , everyone kept asking how much longer I had to go , nice they are interested I suppose , funny but I'm swinging between wanting to hang onto the pregnancy for as long as possible n wanting to go into labour n meet this little person n hear the lovely little noises they make n smell him/her , saw a newborn yesterday n really wanted to pick her up , 

Eldest dd's cats were both pregnant at the same time , the mum had hers last Thursday , her friend took a pic of the daughter lying in the box with the kittens on Monday , I said sometimes that's the best way to kick start labour - be around newborns n low n behold half hour later she had had her 5 kittens !! 3 really quick the other 2 about an hour later - maybe something in it after all ???  maybe I should have held the baby .... x x 

• Well I'm still here. Absolutely no really symptoms any longer either.

Just on off nausea, tiredness and braxton hicks increasing in pressure but not pain etc. normal end of pregnancy stuff.

Think baby is trying to move to a better position so i am trying to assist by getting on all fours and doing tilts when he or she gets into a wiggly mood.image

Hope that if we can arrange just a slight movement more toward fully anterior it'll increase that all important head pressure on the cervix.

But I'm sure he or she will be ready when they are ready.image

Tink - how was the sweep? All good I hope and even if it doesn't trigger labour I hope it dilates you closer. Hope it wasn't too uncomfy either. image
  • Hey lovely ladies, how are you getting on?

Well after my 3rd sweep which caused some bleeding and cramps I decided that I'd go on DDs trampoline in the garden. Don't know what worked but finally my little princess arrived after a very quick labour yesterday morning 10 days late weighing 7lb13oz image

Evemum, did your sweep do anything? Did DD enjoy sports day? It's nice people ask it drives you made though when people start with still no baby? Maybe go find a new born to cuddle there may be something to it. It worked for my friend.

I agree these babies have been misbehaving image

Hope LO doesn't keep you waiting to much longer tulip the last few weeks are so uncomfortable. Hopefully baby finds a position where you can. Both get comfy until the big day. This one never turned and came out looking at the stars they said position wasn't such a big issue 2nd time round and they were right I laboured very quick so much so everyone was caught off guard my waters didn't even break.

Hopefully the on and off false starts for 6 weeks helped so you may be lucky and have a quick delivery to. Xx
  • Congratulations Tink! I'm glad you didn't have to have the induction. I hope it all went well.

Good luck tulip and evrmum. Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer.
  • Congratulations tink , really pleased all went well n was a quick labour after all your waiting , was just out in the garden doing yoga - 1st time this week !! n was contemplating the trampoline .... might be something in it , have had more bloody show today was hoping the yoga might stir things up abit , going for a lie down , see what today brings x x 

How are you today gp , lovely to hear your news too , what have you called your little man ? x x 

• Oh my god tink! Well done you! image

After all your hard work over the past 6 weeks image

Massive congratulations.

Well I am feeling more positive from your story about a back to back birth. I also rang my Hypnobirthing midwife and she reassured me that a laterite labour is much less an issue second pregnancy and beyond. Got a few more tips to try to turn it but not so panicked if it doesn't move.

I had a tiny bit more plug come away again today twice. Not a huge show but like two think lines of snot. (Sorry but trying to describe its not a lot).

Hopefully a good sign overall but trying not to think it will be too close just in case.