Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

How far in advance do you need to get a pram/travel system?

Hi Girls

I am starting to buy things month by month and clearly the biggest spend will be the pram travel system, I'm 22 weeks tomorrow and remember reading somewhere that you have to pre-order your travel system.

How far in advance do you need to start looking for the one you want??

Thanks ladies. XX

Replies

• It can depend on whether they have them in stock or whether they need to order one. Some places can take 2 weeks some can take 1 month.

Do you have ur eye on a particular one? If so, go in and ask how long estimated stock delivery is.

I am 24 weeks and am starting to think about buying mine, want to have it before 32 weeks in case bubs is early.
  • double post x

[Modified by: rosemary20 on July 19, 2010 10:44 AM]

• Hi, We ordered ours this weekend. The store told us previously they take a deposit (helps to spread the cost out too) and then even once the pram is delivered to the store we can collect it whenever we are ready.

We were glad we went in this weekend though as were told there is now a waiting list for the one we want and the next delivery isn't until September. I am due Nov 1st, so plenty of time but at least it's one less thing I have to worry about now. We will likely collect and pay the balance in October sometime.

As rosemary said, everywhere is different so you're best to ask in store.
  • I'm 22 weeks and we've not really started shoppikng for travel systems yet, I was speaking to hubby about when to start looking, in case we needed to pre-order and I wasn't sure about how long it took to come in. Maybe we'll start looking next month. X
  • I was 28 weeks when we thought about buying ours, we wanted an iCandy peach and got told there was a 12 weeks waiting list! Our local shop had it in stock though so we got it straightaway. If you are not sure what you want I'd say start looking now and enquire about delivery times.
  • if u don't know what u want at all yet then start having a browse and then u can ask delivery times etc and give u a better idea once u've got a short list, as it really varies. we went to john lewis yesterday and ordered the icandy pear tandem, was in stock and will be with us next tuesday! they ahd the peach in black jack, which ws out of stock, and then in tomato or sweetpea they ahve to do special order so takes 6-12weeks ... so even witht he same brand in the same shop its a massive difference...can't wiat for it to get here, i'm only 19+4 but can start using it in single mode straight away for ds. xx
  • Also there are so many systems to choose from it took us ages to decide what we wanted. It can be really tough! You dont want to leave it late and feel like you have to rush into something, we started looking a while ago so that we could think about it and make sure we were certain on our choice.
  • I plan to get mine about 6 weeks before the baby comes - I won't have room to store it before it that!
  • When I was pregnant with my son, we ordered ours at 16 weeks - although we wouldn't if it hadn't been such a good deal. We got ours from mothercare through their nursery scheme and they delivered it when i started maternity leave. The nursery scheme is dead good cause basically it meant we had our buggy reserved but if we'd changed our minds and wanted a different one we could have changed the order no problems.

I think I'll send hubby in the loft to get it down and clean it when I start maternity leave as he's got a few days off then too and my son will be in nursery so he can go up there in peace. We don't have a nuge house so don't really want a big pram hanging around any longer than necessary
  • I'd def start looking now rather than later and then decide what you want after you've visited all the shops and tried them all out!
    Xxx
  • we've ordered ours from mothercare you if you join their baby club you get 10% off & you can pay monthly & decide when you want it delivered,you also get money off if theres sale in between you ordering it & it getting delivered,we ordered ours in may & since we've ordered it theres been ??50 off so we got that well worth a look xo
  • I think there is no harm in looking Clayre, there are LOADS to chose from and some have waiting lists, others don't.
    Plus, if you fall in love with one and decide its a high price, then gives you time to plan and save a bit more.
    If you have the space (and aren't supersticious) then you can order as soon as you are ready. I saw it as one less thing to worry about. xx
  • Lke the girls said - it very much depends on what you want and where you are getting it from. We thought we'd be super organised and order ours after our 20 week scan. They said 6 - 8 weeks but 10 weeks on we are still waiting (some problems with the supplier)

They've now said end of July so I'll be around 31 weeks so I am glad I ordered ours when I did!

Liz x
    30+3