Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hyperemesis gravidarum: pregnant women have to 'put up with it or have abortion'. Really?

Hello

We're wondering what you think about the new report from the British Pregnancy Advisory Service and Pregnancy Sickness Support that's saying that 'a significant proportion' of pregnant women who have the extreme form of morning sickness called hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) are 'expected either to put up with the sickness or undergo an abortion'.

It's thought that, every year, about 10,000 women get HG  – a condition that causes extreme nausea and vomiting and which was experienced by the Duchess of Cambridge in the early months of both her pregnancies.  

But, according to the report, not everyone with HG is offered the full range of treatments, and about 1 in 10 feel so desperately ill (vomiting up to 30 times a day, unable to get out of bed etc) that they see no other option but to terminate their pregnancy.

So we wanted to ask if any of you have or have had HG?

And, if you have, have you had trouble getting the right kind of care and treatment? Did you ever feel that the HG was so bad, you couldn't continue with your pregnancy?

Or did you find that your midwives and doctors were quick to diagnose your HG and offer you treatment?

We'd love to hear about any experiences of coping with HG that you'd be happy to share. Please do feel free to share them by adding a post to this discussion thread.

Replies

• I had hg with my 4th pregnancy. The treatment I got from my gp was great but once I got to the hospital it wasn't so good. I was so weak and tired and all I wanted to do was lay down but I was put in a tiny waiting room on a chair. I was left there for about an hour then a midwife came in and put me on the drip!!! I had to sit in that room on a drip all day, no ward, bed nothing!!! Apart from coming in to change my bags of water i was just left on my own all day. Once all the iv fluids had been given I was allowed to go home. This happened to me 3 times. The thought of getting an abortion crossed my mind a few times and it seemed that it was the only way I would get better. thanks to my gp getting me on the right anti sickness meds I finally managed to cope with the sickness x

• Oh my goodness, mummy2littlegirls - sounds like you really went through it. Poor you!

Glad to hear your GP was great, though. I know some people have a tough time at first getting their HG taken seriously. Good to hear that wasn't the case for you!

How many weeks did you have HG for? 

• I had it with my first son who is 11 now. I told my Dr I could keep anything down, not even fluids. He gave me some powder with vitimins in to put in water which came up when I was sick all day and all night. I didn't go back, I was young (17) I just asumed  nothing could be done and I'd be fine. It went by 13 weeks and I ended up having my son at 34 weeks (unralated). I hope help has improved especially for first time young mothers. if I'd have know you could I'd have gone to hospital. 

• Wow, that must have been so hard, Deblush. Coping with13 weeks of HG, without much help, sounds really really difficult.

How did you manage it? Did you just stay in bed? Or did you try to carry on with your normal daily stuff?

•  I stayed in bed alot. I lost my Job because I couldnt go into work. It got imbarrising walking down the street and being sick and going into warm buildings made be sick. I went out as little as I possibly could to avoid the humiliation. I feel sorry for women who have to go to work and have no choice because i couldnt have done it!

I Just bought ginger biscuits and tea that helped a little sometimes. It made it worse if I got too hot, so I bought a bedside fan and It helped me sleep but still I was sick all the time. I know of someone when had an abortion because she just couldn't cope and had to work so had no other option.

• Oh I'm sorry you lost your job - that's awful! 

I had terrible morning sickness but not HG and I found that hard enough -  I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you.

I do remember being sick in public though - in the supermarket (cringe) - and I totally get you saying how humiliating you found it. It really is, isn't it?

• Hi there! 

I am currently bed bound due to HG, I have suffered since 6 weeks pregnant and am currently at 11 weeks. I have been hospitalised once for 24 hours due to having high keatones in my urine. 

My experience with getting treatment was a positive one. I went straight to the doctors as was so bad straight away and was given bucastem, that didn't work for me, so was then given metacloramide ( spelt something like that). That reacted badly with me and I was having weird mind reactions and insomnia which is when I got to my lowest point and following an early scan gthe sommograoher instructed me to go straight to a doctor that day due to how ill I looked. Got admitted to hospital that afternoon and was put on a drip plus injected with anti sickness. Hooray I felt almost normal for the first time in weeks. After 24 hours I was given ondanestron plus phenergen and sent on my way. 

I am still quite ill,  can't work and as soon as I get up I am sick but the medication allows me to keep some food down and sleep and I just have to sip / breathe through the intense nausea. 

I had one negative experience from a midwife no less, when I explained that I was quite ill and been in hospital with Hg I was told initially she has never heard of it and then after she changed her mind and said it's just morning sickness and she sees it every day. Very unsympathetic but I have had other really nice midwives so people like that are just a minority I think. 

I have to deal with the worry of taking medication whilst pregnant plus not having a healthy diet along with being really isolated at home so it's a tough time for me at the moment. I'm relying on family to look after me which is also hard as I feel bad. If there is one thing I really wish, it would be if I could be on a drip from home as I felt almost normal in hospital and it was such relief for the briefest time.

I'd love to hear from other people suffering or those that have suffOnly now charged phone back up soz blobs. Just spewed image feeling ill so gunna get to sleep! Night night xxered to hear of others experiences! 

Sam x 

• Sorry about the last part of my post, my phone isn't the best and pasted a text I wrote without me realising it. ( should always proof read...oops. It was meant to say I would love to hear from others that have suffered or are still suffering to learn about their experiences! X 

• Hi sam2390 - welcome to MadeForMums! And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks for sharing your experience with HG - and wow, your poor thing! That sounds really really tough!

Grr at that unsympathetic midwife - I think she'd have made me cry!

Hope today's been OK for you and you haven't been too sick, and, like you, I hope others will come along and share their HG experiences to keep you company and support you through it all.

• I am currently 9wks and yesterday as i couldnt get a doctors appointment i went to my out of hours doctors as im experiencing sickness all day. No food or liquid stays in me and constantly sleeping cos the sickness so extreme. I foundy sugar level had also dropped low aswell as having ketones in urine and protein. I found the GP very helpfull she even wanted to admit me in but she called the hospital gyno who said no on the basis they only admit if you hav +3 ketones. I had +1.   I was very disappointed and sent me away with sickness tablets. When its too late do the hospital only think of admitting you in then? I now hope the tablets will work. 

• Hello flaxley 

So sorry to hear that your feeling so poorly. I too am a HG sufferer and have been in hospital countless times. 

Glad to hear that your GP is helpful as that is someone who you'll most probably see a lot of during your pregnancy, especially experiencing HG. 

Not happy about the hospital wanting 3+ ketones. That's disgusting. Having 3+ would make you very dehydrated! They usually admit you in and give you IV fluids if you have 2+.

If its possible I would get some ketone sticks from your local chemist. I think the ones I bought was about £6. My GP said as soon as it had 2+ get yourself up to the hospital. So I would definitely recommend that. Only you know your body and if you don't feel right then sometimes you have to put your foot down and be heard. 

Really hope today's a better day for you.

• Hi Toni23x

thanks for your advice. How are you getting along. How many weeks are you. This is my first and due in dec what about you.  Hope you're feeling better now x

• Hi Flaxley, sorry to hear you're so poorly, really hoping you turn a corner soon. Just wanted to let you know that we have a December Birth Club - sam2390 in the thread up ^^^^ there is also in this Birth Club, and also suffers with HG. You might be able to support and help each other out.

• Morning Flaxley. I am 17 weeks. HG started at about 6 for me. I've been in hospital 7 times on IV fluids and have lost a crazy amount of weight, nearly 3 stone. 

This will be my first to, I'm due in October. Had a private scan because I was too eager to know what I was having and it is a GIRL! So I'm very happy! are you going to find out or are you keeping it a surprise? How are you feeling today? Any better? I have had some crazy advice what to eat and stuff to ease the sickness and tried pretty much it all without any of it working. Have you found anything that's worked for you? 

• Oh dear Toni23x, you really have had a bad time, poor you!! mine is nothing compared to you.

yes ofcourse I would love to know the sex i hope i have a girl like you!! How lovely in Oct, im a libra too!! I will only then tell immediate family. My 1st scan is end of may so very nervous. Im now 10wk today.

So the hospital gave me the sickness tablets been eating them now for 3/4days. It has some what controlled the sickness but from the inside i still feel very queasy. Sickness has gone down. Did you try them?

im very sleepy through out the days. My other problem is i have loss of appetit. I mean completely. Its so hard. 

I havent tried anything to ease sickness. I dont think anythin wil work. 

I hope your sickness calms down  My sister in law had it for whole 9mths! Xx

• Well I spoke to soon as tablets not working today and being sick again. Might go doctors tomorrow. 

• I am pregnant with my first child and had HG from 7-16 weeks and it was horrendous. I lost so much weight and was hospitalised. I can't fault the treatment I received, at the hospital or my GP. I've heard some doctors are against giving anti-sickness medication but this wasn't my experience. It's a good job as it was enough of a struggle with the tablets.

• Hi all, 

Post has gone a bit quiet and was wondering how you were all getting on? Hope you're all feeling better and are actually able to start enjoying your pregnancy! 

• Hi Toni, I am doing so much better. I hope everyone else is too x

• I know this is an older post but I suffered with HG whilst pregnant with my daughter. I was being sick 10 times an hour at my worst and ended up hospitalised on a drip due to severe dehydration. I suffered from 7 weeks until around 22 weeks, although thankfully it was more manageable after the initial few weeks of severe symptoms. I was prescribed anti-sickness tablets which lessened the sickness to a more bareable level but it was pretty hideous and I did consider an abortion at one point because I couldn't see an end to the misery.

My pregnancy was a much wanted one and as I suffer from irregular cycles and issues with my ovaries we were not sure we'd ever conceive so after 14 months of trying to then find myself in that situation was awful. I am so pleased that I stuck with it though and I'm even considering trying for another! (must be crazy!!)