Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
26/03/2013 at 12:22
I had my 12 week/NT scan last week which all went well and didn't think much more of it until I received my results at the weekend as 1:350 chance of Downs. I know that technically that is low risk but when I was PG with A three years ago she was 1:45,000 chance so all feels pretty real. I am 35 (nearly 36-eek)! so the results are average for my age but I'm really worried. I've tried contacting my MW for some advice but she's not got back to me. My Dad has offered to pay for a private amnio which I am leaning towards but I can't find many accurate prices any where (assuming the NHS won't do it due to risk factor).
Does anyone have any advice or experience on any of the above? I know the risk of miscarriage following amnio is greater than the risk of Downs but I can't stop thinking about it and don't want to spend the next 6 months stressing.
26/03/2013 at 12:33
I had a similar stress to you a few weeks ago. My result was 1:157 and the cut off for amnio is 1:150. The midwife gave me my result over the phone, only because she was phoning me about something else anyway, otherwise I would have just got a letter. I was really stressed about it (as my sister had just got hers at 1:23,000) and spoke to my mum who's a nurse, who then went to have a chat with the MW whilst I was away on holiday. The MW said that Ante-natal Wales are considering not giving out individual results if it's low risk, just saying it's low risk.
Unless you have the amnio, which does carry a 1:100 miscarriage risk there's no way of finding out. My MW told me that when she had her screening, the cut off (several years ago) was 1:350 and she got a result of 1:351 and had a perfectly healthy baby. A friend of hers had a much higher result and did end up with a Downs baby.
26/03/2013 at 12:36
I have no experience of this as we chose not to have the screening for our own reasons, but I've done some googling and the Fetal Medicine Centre in London do private amniocentesis testing which women on other forums have recommended after going there themselves.
26/03/2013 at 12:43
I'm a bit different as had cvs and raised nuchal, the risk of mc can often not be as high as 1:100 as its the individual persons results you should go by rather than that 1:100 which is a national statistic iyswim. I would speak with the mw and perhaps consider a private nuchal scan where a fetal medicine dr will look for soft markers iyswim
26/03/2013 at 13:26
Thank you for your replies., that link is really useful. Unfortunately, I cannot do a private nuchal scan as I am now 13+5 and there is no time! I am now considering CVS, I'm not sure I want to wait another 3 weeks for Amnio and then potentially 2-3 weeks for results. It's all so confusing :(
26/03/2013 at 17:37
Noggin you can only have cvs up till 13+6 which is tomorrow. Amino is 15 weeks but I *think* some places do them
From 14 weeks. What was the nuchal? Can you give arc a call (number on back of green notes), discuss the nuchal and bloods with them they can talk to you about the results x
26/03/2013 at 20:52
Thanks CP, the fetal medicine site says CVS up to 15+6. I think there is a MW clinic on Thurs so I'm going to try and get an appointment. Thanks for the pointer to Arc, I don't have the full results from the bloods yet, just the letter from the hospital but hopefully they can advise. I want to have as much info as possible before making a final decision. I just can't stop thinking about it :(
26/03/2013 at 20:53
sorry to add NT was 2.3
26/03/2013 at 22:56
Mine with first pregnancy were 1 in 5, and although she had turners did not have downs. Our nucal was 5.75 at 11 weeks and 10 by 12 weeks. There are other soft markers they can see on scans such as presence of nasal bones and length if various bones. I think you have to decide if you think there is enough risk to investigate further, but even with odds such as 1 in however many thousand you can always be that one. I do think being over 35 already reduces the odds significantly if I remember
27/03/2013 at 00:40
Each specialise has their own amnio/cvs miscarriage risk, the consultant who did ours had an even lower rate than 1/100, so ask them what their risk is
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.