Forum home› Pregnancy› Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

O/T Does anyone know if fanta lemon is caffeine free??

Hi ladies, I'm normally addicted to coke but as I'm trying to cut down on my caffeine it's a big no-no image so after googling a few possibilities as a replacement I think I've found that fanta lemon is caffeine free...but I still want to be 100% sure, so does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks!

Jo
7+4 xx

Replies

• fanta orange is, so I can't see why fanta lemon wouldn't be. I was told by my GP and midwife, btw, that one or two cans of Coke per day! contains well below the limit of caffeine that could cause any harm so dont' worry too much. I had a Coke in the morning in first trimester to combat my morning sickness (the only thing that worked!) so I checked it out.
    T 31+5
  • I dont know about fanta but the guidelines for safe amounts of caffeine in pregnancy are equivalent to 5 cans of coke a day so I really wouldnt worry x
  • i've just been on the cocacola wen page and accordingt o the ingredients there is no caffeine in fanta lemon, fanta lemon zero, sprite, sprite zero,fanta orange, fanta orange zero, fanta fruit twist, lilt, lilt zero

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/yourhealth/whats_in_our_drinks/

hth xx
  • That's great ladies, I knew you could all help image Thanks a million! xx

• hun there are artificiall sweeteners in fanta!!!Im not sure these are safe in pregnancy...
  • this is true sooky, the 'zero' versions containe aspartame instead of sugar, which has been linked to some health problems, so prob best to stick to the 'full fat' versions, but the odd one now and again really won't hurt, but that goes for most thinsg really, including caffeinated coke.
  • I think again, you'd have to drink a hell of a lot of fizzy juice to run into ruin with the artifical sweeteners..
    from Baby Centre website from food standards site -

The Food Standard's Agency (FSA) sets an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for artificial sweeteners. These ADIs are quite high. For example, the ADI for aspartame is 2,800 milligrams. This is equivalent to about 14 cans of diet drink a day!

However, aspartame should be avoided by people who have the rare inherited disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) or high levels of phenylalanine in their blood (a condition called hyperphenylalanine). This is because their bodies are unable to break down phenylalanine, an amino acid contained in aspartame. A build-up of phenylalanine could harm an unborn baby. Fortunately, thanks to mandatory labelling of products containing aspartame in the UK, it is relatively easy for pregnant women and others with PKU or hyperphenylalanine to avoid it.
  • I drink a few cans of diet coke a day- its the only thing I really do crave- my mum drank shed loads with me and I'm above average height and intelligence (without being big headed) and was 8lb 2oz born 2 weeks early (contradictory to the low birth weight idea) full fat drinks are just as likely to cause you problems with your blood sugar- just be sensible and everything in moderation x
  • O I never thought fanta contained aspartame! Hmmm back to square 1 really then :roll: though as you ladies have said I'm sure it would take a hell of a lot before it could potentially cause damage, I def won't be sitting down to 14 cans a day :lol: xx
  • I have a box of caffeine free coke in the fridge and I have almost every day - they taste just like normal diet coke! They've been a life saver for me as I cut out caffeine completely. x
  • Anyone no if Lucozade has caffine in?
    I have a really bad cold, and thats usually the only thing to make me feel better image x
  • lucozade doesn't have caffeine, its energy is from the glucose it contains, well thats the normal lucozade (u know the original and orange/lemone flavours) but they do do a lucozade sport with caffeine boost so steer clear of that one. xx
  • Mrs KP- I need your taste buds- to me caffeine free tastes like feet yuccccchhhhk : ( lol x
  • oh by the way if you're serious about cutting out caffeine you'd better lay off the chocolate as well- that one surprised me!! x