Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

O/T Nice places to live - Scotland?

I'm just curious really.
We live in South Lanarkshire at the moment and i've been feeling for a while that it might be time to relocate to a different area. Really, apart from some good friends, the only thing keeping us here is oh's family, but we're both really mad at them right now as they've royally let us down and now we're starting to think it's ridiculous to use them as a reason for staying where we are.
I'd like to move somewhere a bit further north to be nearer my family in Aberdeen but don't want to go back to Aberdeen itself - can't afford it for one thing! Although i wouldn't rule out any location really.
I know there are lots of scottish lassies on here - just wondering if anyone loves where they live and can recommend it and why? Obviously we're looking for somewhere child friendly with good schools...

Replies

• Options
    I used to live in Elgin which isnt too far from Aberdeen, there are some lovely costal towns such as Lossiemouth, Hopeman Burghead. They are amazing places to bring up kids and there is lots to do, there is a small cinema in Elgin, a leisure centre, cooper park, lovely places for walks, the beach alongwith your usual high street shops and 4 major supermarkets.
    I know there are loads of ex mod houses for sale at the moment in Kinloss at discounted prices www.wink.co.uk and you will find them, they also rent houses.
  • Options
    We used to live in Edinburgh and if we had stayed in the area I would have loved to move a little north to Fife, there are some lovely little villages that I think would be perfect for bringing up children and still have good commuter links to Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Sorry g/c ut saw this on the front page.

I say Fife - I liked growing up there and would be happy to raise my kiddies there. It's a good distance between Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Stirling etc and a bit closer to Aberdeen than Lanarkshire is. There are lots of nice small villages and small towns and nice communities. It's also a Peninsula (sp???) meaning you are always nice and close to the sea/beach which is lovely.

Might be nice to go even further north but I can't imagine being that far from "civilisation" ie the central belt!

My other choice would be to go out West to Renfrewshire: Helensburgh or somewhere would be lovely.

Good luck - the best thing about Scotland is that there are lots of lovely places to live!

Cent

• Options
    I really like the idea of fife - was up there for a wedding last summer and was impressed by how beautiful it was.
    Know what you mean about the central belt - not sure i'd want to be too far away from glasgow/edinburgh!
  • Options
    I'm in fife and I like it. I commute to Edinburgh every day and its much cheaper and less urban than central edinburgh. There are some lovelt little towns along the coast depending on how far north you can go. As someone else said Kinross and Perthshire also lovely was just too long a commute for us. Also know a few people in east lothian who love it.
  • Options
    I live in Perth at the moment and it is really lovely. We are currently in the process of moving back to my home town of Forfar. Will be nice to live somewhere smaller again.
  • Options
    We live in Clackmannanshire and regularly travel to Aberdeenshire to visit my family it takes about 2 1/2hours to drive from door to door, we'd like to move to perthshire ideally as it's just that bit closer to 'up the road' but we like the ease of a wee trip to ikea in eitherglasgow or edinburgh!!! Stirling is quite a nice city but it's quite pricey to live there, clackmannanshire is much cheaper and all of the secondary schools are brand new, there are loads of primary schools in the area so if you fancied it you'd need to look closer at the catchment areas!

There are some nice places in Fife too but OH works in Stirling so this is ideal! It's also a nice wee county and recycling etc is really good!

xxx
  • Options
    I loved Stirling when I went to uni there, its got lovely places like Bridge of Allen (a little pricey) but it has a small town feel about it and a lovely wee high st. At the moment we live in Inverness, which suits us, its small enough to be cosy, safe, good schools (plus I teach at one so of course they are great!)and low crime compared to Aberdeen but big enough to have just about everything you need and is only 3 - 4 hours from Glasgow. I agree with Holly's mum there are lots of lovely little coastal towns between here and Elgin. Hope you find somewhere you like xx
  • Options
    Im currently living in cornwall but i grew up in fife up untill 6 years ago when i was 15 and i loved it. i lived in a small village called Elie and it was fantastic, i was never bored and was a very outdoors child, along that area there are lots of small villages which are all beautiful and couldnt recommend them enough xxx
  • Options
    I stay in East Dunbartonshire just north of Glasgow. I really like it here - it's 1o mins into Glasgow on the train or within half an hour you can be in the hills and the countryside or at Loch Lomond. Best of both worlds!!
  • Options
    Im in central belt and we talk about moving to Argyll all the time, but i would miss the option of the city and my family. We love the north of Stirling, places like Dollar and round where the Knockhill race track is. Its not too far from towns but feels rural.

I cover the whole of Scotland for my job and pretty much know everywhere. There are a lot of nice places near Aberdeen which would be great if youve got family there. Towns like Huntly and Ellon are lovely and there are loads of places near aberdeen especially south of Aberdeen that are much cheaper

Keep us posted

Gemm x

• Options
    Dollar is beautiful gemm its where dh grew up and is move there in a second but transport to Edinburgh not great. Elie's also gorgeous only been there a few times but its lovely. There are so many nice towns and villages around it all depends what your main criteria are and whether you need to close to a particular city.
  • Options
    sorry GC here....

Im also another fifer here.... and would highly recommend it...

Close enough to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee and also not to far from Aberdeen.
    Has great rail links....
    Some lovely coastal villages... although if you do stay more inland, ure never far from the coast (i.e15min journey..max)
    St Andrews... "home of golf"....
    Lots of other country and links golf clubs.
    House pricers are cheaper than Edinburgh...
    Lots of good schools.... many small village schools and also bigger town schools...(im sure this wouldnt be hard to look up tho)

Keep us posted.... would love to hear if u finally do decide on somewhere...

xx
  • Options
    G/C Me and hubby wouldlove to move to Scotland but I wouldn't be able to work there with my job. Otherwise we would seriously consider it. I think it's a beautiful country and we're planning a road trip there as soon as it gets a bit warmer so I'm noting all of the places that you have mentioned! x x