Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
13/05/2013 at 16:31
Can anyone tell me about practice contraction and if I actually need to start worrying, am 30 weeks tomorrow ?Had just one on Saturday night which I put down to having over done it what with travelling back from our holidays etc. I have had two today though which can't be put down to overdoing it as I have done nothing.They feel very very different to braxton hicks I had with Zoe, actually painful and have to breathe through it, not able to talk etc.This is all within the realms of normal though isn't it ?
13/05/2013 at 16:54
Can you call your mw or triage number? Did you decide to go for vbac in the end? X
13/05/2013 at 16:57
I don't want to call as they will invariably say to go in for monitoring, and actually I'm not worried. It feels like something normal but then started wondering if I should worry. Does that even make sense ?
As for VBAC, still no decision made. My friend (who is a midwife) has made an appt for me to see the midwife who established the VBAC clinic as my appt last time was pretty rubbish. That is in a couple of weeks time so will talk it all through again. Tbh at the moment I'm scared of a VBAC and scared of an ELCS ... just can't decide which is scarier. Logistics of a VBAC are going to be a nightmare, H works in London (I'm in York) and can't drive in the dark and my mum (childcare for Zoe) is 2 hrs away in Manchester. Also at the moment the idea that this is all going to be over in 9 weeks is quite appealing, the thought is could go on for 12 weeks isn't quite so appealing.
13/05/2013 at 17:19
Yes i see what you mean. I would say maybe worry if the pains become more regular?
I was totally the same as you re vbac v elcs. In fact our circumstances are almost identical with childcare for G 1.5 hours away. I worried and worried about the logistics of a vbac but actually it all worked out fine. Contractions started on the Tues when i was out and about and cranked up overnight. Called tge inlaws to come and get G at 8.30am on Weds and went to hospital 4pm ish. It is a tough decision that only you can decide. For me i needed to feel that i had tried for a natural birth to get rid of some demons after G's birth where i ended up under GA and for me i know i would have beaten myself up if i hadnt given it a go but as i say a lot of my decision was based on fear of ending up asleep again for the birth. As it went i had another emcs but it was so much calmer as they dont faff about as much and what i said i wanted i got. I got stuck at 6cm for 6 hours and at that point i had the epudural to make sure i would definitely be awake whatever happened. They then gave me the choice of the hormone drip or emcs and i chose the emcs as P was bavk to back and i was stuck on the bed. It was a very positive experience and i have no regrets at all. I got my immediate skin to skin and was breastfeeding within 20 mins.
If i can help in any other way or if there is anything you want to ask give me a shout xx
13/05/2013 at 17:45
Yep, avoiding GA is key for me too. I think if H was nearer then I wouldn't be so worried but what with having to get him home and sort childcare for Zoe all whilst having contractions it seems a bit unrealistic.
13/05/2013 at 18:02
My H and i work in London too - weird how our situations are almost identical! My mw summed it up for me when we were making our decision - decide what is most important in the long term. Having the total control of an elcs or knowing you tried for a vbac even if it doesnt work for whatever reason xx
13/05/2013 at 18:41
I had loads of practice contractions this time from about that stage. I was in Tesco one day and had to keep stopping to breathe through them. I still went 6 days over!
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.