Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sharp / shooting pains :\(

ok ladies i've been freaking out all day over this - woke up this morning with sudden sharp pains - like a jolt rather than long lasting - down in my groin and slightly to one side. if you imagine where the bikini line is around the pubic bone - slightly closer to the centre than that

pains seemed to go after going to the toilet (sorry if tmi) but came back again this evening a couple of times - first when i was lying on some cushions watching Strictly (stopped when i got up) and then again after dinner when sitting on the sofa with my legs up (and i'm getting the occasional twinges now)

it's not a crampy feeling at all and not like anything i get normally - and i haven't had any bleeding - but it's really got me scared :\(

anyone else had this and now out of the first trimester?
should i be worried? should i go see the doc? (have my first appointment on thurs anyway)

MrsRaf - 4+4

Replies

• Options
    Don't want to scare you hun, I am sure everything is fine but you need to be really careful with pains in your side in case it's ectopic. I would ring NHS direct and see what they recommend, you may be told to go see someone sooner than Thursday to double check.

Like I said I am sure it is fine but better safe than sorry and they may give you an early scan to check everything which is always a bonus!

I have had sharp pains in my side for ages and it's just stretching etc.
  • Options
    I get sharp pains on and off where things are stretching (or if I suddenly cough or sneeze), but it may be worth like miss I says, giving NHS direct a quick ring, or seeing ur doctor especially if the pain gets any worse x
  • Options
    I had all sorts of funny cramps and tiwnges for the first few weeks so it's probably nothing but I think Miss I's advice is good advice. Take care hun x
  • Options
    thanks girls - all seems fine today and haven't had anything else since i posted

MissI i was worried about ectopic but apparently you normally have low (or slow rising) HcG and mine has been v fast rising

if it comes back i'll give NHS Direct a ring (i hadn't thought about that)

thanks xx
  • Options
    hi, i had this an doc sent me for scan all was ok, but i have uti, go to docs mention it n they will take a wee sample n if it is give antibotics n then after week u'll be o xxx

good luck xxx
  • Options
    aaah good point

it doesn't feel like other uti's i've had but could be a kidney infection left over from last time i had a uti - i'll make sure i get on to the doctor about it asap
  • Options
    I think the girls advice to get it checked out is right. Its better to be sure of whats going on.

I had something very similar in the summer lying on a beach, just a few weeks pregnant. The pain was excrutiating and I could not lift myself up, went really clammy and hot and was shaking like a leaf. It lasted a while and then eased.

Fortunately it never returned, but if it had I would have called an ambulance and gone to A and E.

If you get it again given NHS direct a call and get some advice. I hope it was nothing more than trapped wind ! and you are fine now hun

xx
  • Options
    Hi Mrs R,

I hope all is well hun, let us know how it goes with your doc

xxx
  • Options
    Mrs Raf,

You're right about ectopics (just had one). Hcg either stays the same or, in my case, goes up but very slowly. If it's rising very fast would suggest it's not. I;m guessing you already had blood tests as that's the only reliable way to test hcg? You can't tell from hpt lines getting stronger x x x
  • Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling better chick. I had some really bad abdominal pain in early pregnancy and I know how scary it can be but 9 times out of 10 it's nothing! If it doesn't come back just mention it to your doctor on Thursday and they will know whats the best thing to do!
  • Options
    Forgot to say quite normal to get stretching pain to make more room for your little bean to grow in x x x
  • Options
    Hey hun glad you're feeling better. I think if you experience the pain again then should ring someone. Saying that i still get the occasional sharp shooting pain but its really low in my right side, sort of like a stitch pain which mw said it was just from my bits stretching.
    xxx
    19+1
  • Options
    Hiya, just wanted to let you know that I have had a really rough time with pains etc (ended up going to hospital one night I was so worried), turns out I had a bug in my wee (can't remember what its called but its not a UTI, its normally found in stomach and bowel), also have severe IBS. I was sent for a scan as a precaution and all is fine.

I would get it checked out because the pain is horrible and you will get antibiotics to clear it up.
    Hope you feel better soon xx
  • Options
    Hi love. I remember these from the first few weeks I was convinced it was ectopic until I read this

http://www.ectopic.org.uk/medical_information/symptoms.htm

When I spoke to NHs direct they also emphasised the shoulder tip pain thing which is apparently quite common. They also mentioned that 6 weeks in was typically when ectopic shpws itself as apparently that's when the feotus is big enough to cause a problem. I obviously haven't been through one myself but just wanted to pass all this on inc ase useful. In the end I had weeks and weeks of random pains (especially when coughing or sneezing) and it all came to nothing. Just stretching to make room for bubs.

Hope all is Ok sweety

MN
    23+0
    xxxx
  • Options
    Try not to worry babe! I get these pains quite a lot, usually down my left side. Sometimes they even take my breath away, stretching pains are normal as atm your uterus is stretching from the size of a plum to the size of an orange. I'd get it checked to be on the safe side and for your own piece of mind. I'm still getting them and did in my last pregnancy too. Every twinge makes you worry doesn't it!

Love Gecko 7+4 x
  • Options
    Try not to worry babe! I get these pains quite a lot, usually down my left side. Sometimes they even take my breath away, stretching pains are normal as atm your uterus is stretching from the size of a plum to the size of an orange. I'd get it checked to be on the safe side and for your own piece of mind. I'm still getting them and did in my last pregnancy too. Every twinge makes you worry doesn't it!

Love Gecko 7+4 x
  • Options
    thanks so much for the advice ladies (especially that link MN)

i haven't had any pains again but just a general feeling of discomfort in the same area.
    i've found the number of our local EPU and will ring in the morning if i get any more pains

think i need to stop reading all the things that could go wrong coz it's making me a bit teary :\(
  • Options
    Aww hun please don't be googling your symptoms, its the worse thing you can do because they never say 'yea it could be this blah blah but it might be this' it just says about the bad things. Hope your ok hun xxx
  • Options
    Hey Mrs R,

How are you now?

I would defo say stop googling things, whenever i do that i always convince myself i've got something serious!

xx
  • Options
    hey mini - i'm feeling good thanks (well in some ways)

i haven't had any more pains since saturday evening - absolutely no bleeding or cramps or anything so i'm much calmer and happy to wait til thurs to see my doc
    i'll mention the pains to him though in case he wants to scan for ectopic or test for kidney infection

on the not-so-great side, morning sickness has kicked in with a passion - luckily it's just nausea and not actually vomiting but i'm feel cr@ppy from about 11am til about 6pm
    ah well at least it means strong hormones