Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
12/05/2014 at 17:11
As I have fallen pregnant towards the end of my PGDE I have two options.
Option 1: Defer my probation year until August 2015, when baby is 7 months. Guaranteed a job and salary for that year, but would have to commit to working full time for the year, no flexible options are allowed. Also need to try to find supply from August - December 2014 while unqualified, may be difficult. Or could do office work for that period but then be out of school from now until August 2015.
Option 2: Start in August 2014 and finish up for leave, but then be responsible for finding my own job in August 2015 to complete my probation. May be tough to find work, I have until June 2017 to fully qualify. Means I am guaranteed a wage now when we really need it, and I probably won't be out of teaching long. Could potentially also go back as supply in August 2015 and negotiate part time hours.
I'm swaying towards option 2 even though it will mean more upheaval and possible uncertainty...what would you do? Am I overlooking something vital?
12/05/2014 at 19:15
I think this is a really tough decision that you and your H really need to sit down and decide what will be best for your family.
I'm in England so I know things are different, so I can't promise that everything I say is relevant. I think it's amazing that you are guaranteed a job, what is the job situation in primary schools like around you? Do you know if teachers are moving around and the jobs coming up or are people just staying put. Have you thought ahead to what you'd want to be doing work-wise once baby is here? I would also seriously consider how much work comes with the NQT year and would you want to deal with that while pregnant? With supply here, you can't continue with a supply agency after 3(I think) years of being an unqualified teacher. Is there a similar guideline like this for you?
I guess, I'm saying all this as someone who completed her NQT at Christmas 2011, then did supply until I got pregnant with M, as there are very few job opportunities for MFL (secondary) teachers in my area which made the decision for me to be a sahm easier. Since then I have not worked and I'm not planning on returning to work for another few years. So it's really hard for me to say which option I'd go for. Sorry, I realise I'm no help and have probably just added more questions for you to think about.
12/05/2014 at 19:46
I'm not a teacher but I went back to work when my baby was 7 months and my career at that time also meant I had to be full time with no flexible working or part time options. It was tough going at first but OK once we'd got into the swing of things. You'll also be amazed at how quickly that year will go.
12/05/2014 at 20:35
I'm not sure where you're based, as i've only experience of having to apply for nqt posts in England. Teaching jobs can be hard to get and if everyone else is also guaranteed a job, how easy will it be to find one? I'd be much more inclined to defer for the year and be guaranteed a job. After that year you could look for part time, but you'd have the qualification under your belt. I'm sure you could get some supply for a few months. I got quite a lot between ending my pgce and starting my nqt year. It was good experience, but wouldn't be the easiest job to do when heavily pregnant. To me, option one is a safer bet. Option 2 has too many things that may not happen, and if you struggle in later pregnancy, you may not be able to work that long anyway.
12/05/2014 at 22:08
I'd do option 1. Then you know you have a job to go to when baby is 7months. This means you have guaranteed income to look forward to. I think returning when baby is 7 months is doable, I have no experience myself but colleagues have done it. You will probably pick up supply in the autumn term though it may be add hoc. You could always contact local schools this term with your CV so they have your details for supply, and sign up to agencies too. In England you have to do a certain number of days to pass your NQT year, so going part time will mean you take even longer to qualify. Of course option 1 relies on you being able to afford full time care for baby at least for a year.
13/05/2014 at 06:29
Hey Saffron. Not too sure which option i'd choose. I think if i was an NQT still I'd find supply v stressful and worry about forgetting some of my newly acquired skills that aren't all used in supply, which is totally fine later when you are fluent in those skills eg curriculum planning, differentiation etc ( but then i guess you'd remember soon enough). But I'd worry about not having a guaranteed post to go to but this depends where you are (where i live there are a few more jobs so i wouldn't worry too much about this). NQT teaching days are often looooong, i was in by 7am and often working until 9pm but i also think that may be because i had few other priorities. Not helpful but just my musings x
13/05/2014 at 08:36
13/05/2014 at 09:14
I'd probably choose option 1 - a guaranteed post isn't be passed up without good reason in my opinion. I'm lucky in that I moved schools and then go pregnant, plus I'm going to have pretty much 10 months off. I think going back full time with a 7 month old will be difficult, although I have no experience of that at the moment but remember that you only work a certain amount of weeks before a holiday so that will break it up and give you a chance to catch up. The NQT year is a bit of a marathon but at least knowing you're guaranteed a job and salary is a positive. Also, you will get into a rhythm so as the year goes on you'll get quicker and work out how to cram everything in. Once your NQT year is out the way you can then apply for any position including part time or you could do supply - it would deffo open up more doors.
In between then and now, definitely try to keep in the loop education wise, there are so many changes all the time you don't want to get too behind in what's happening.
13/05/2014 at 09:56
It's a really tough choice. I got pregnant halfway through my NQT year and it was ridiculously hard for the first and third trimesters. But then trying to do NQT with a baby wouldn't exactly be easy! But I would probably defer I think, doing your NQT all in one go gives you a better chance to build on yor skills whereas breaking off partway through the year and then coming back to it would probably be harder work in the long run. In England lots of new teachers do supply before NQT year whilst looking for work so there are lots of opportunities for supply teaching but I'm guessing that's different in Scotland if everyone is guaranteed an NQT post. But doing supply whilst pregnant would enable you to have some rest days when you need them.
13/05/2014 at 12:46
More info: There is loads of supply available in Scotland, but also loads and loads of teachers working supply with years of experience. I most definitely wouldn't find supply as an unqualified so would be out of teaching until next August most likely, meaning no salary ahead of baby coming either. They would be obliged to give me another post next August to finish my probation year, but there's no guarantee that it will be a full time post, may be one day a week.
Thank you all for comments so far, I'm still stubbornly swaying towards option 2. I don't know what NQT is like in England, but in Scotland you only have 18.5 class time per week, you have a mentor, and a dozen teachers I've spoken to agree that probation year is a breeze after the PGDE.
13/05/2014 at 12:52
I recon only you know what is best for you and sounds to me you've made your decision. Either way somehow you will just manage x
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.