Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
06/01/2013 at 14:25
I am still on the fence about what to do. G's birth lasted 3 days and ended up with emergency c-section under GA as they couldnt get the epidural in my back. I have a consultantappt this month to see if they can work out why they couldnt get it in and if its likely to happen again.
The most important thing for me this time round (apart from a healthy baby of course) is doing everything i can to not have a GA. I am still struggling to deal with the fact i missed G''s birth. So my thoughts so far are:
VBAC - if all goes to plan i get the buzz of knowing i did it; less recovery time; hold baby straight away. But on the negative side scared it will all go wrong again; terrified of tears etc after a few friends have had horror story births; childcare issues for G as parents are hours away and only friend nearby is on hols around DD.
Section - knowing exactly when and whats going to happen; easier to plan childcare. On negative side higher recovery time; not being able to care for baby straight away; higher risk.
I just dont know what to do. I wish i could see into the future. The thought of going for vbac and it all going wrong again or me ending up like 3 of my friends who had so many stitches they are still suffering years later terrifies me.
Any stories to share good or bad? I know everyone is different but i am just so confused.
06/01/2013 at 14:35
I had a category 1 crash section under ga and my absolute priority (other than obviously healthy baby) was NO ga the next time so I had another section. As it happened I went into labour but still got my section (I was assured if I went into labour provided I wasn't 10cm I'd still get a section. I went in at my 7 week appointment saying if this pregnancy progresses then I'm having a section, no ifs buts or maybes, I'd made my decision iyswim. Could you have a look at the NUCE guidelines on both vbac and elective sections and then you can chat to your consultant. Maybe ask for an anaesthetic review to see why the epidural didnt work. As it happens my 2nd section was classed Adam emergency because I went into labour but it was absolutely fine. The staff were fab, I got to see Isaac immediately and he was born at 0010 and I had a shower at 7.30 x
06/01/2013 at 14:38
I'm another one that had a crash section under GA, and like CP my priority is that I want to be there when my baby is born this time around. I am absolutely certain I WILL be having an elective section. Much as I love the idea of a nice calm water birth, given my history I would not be allowed a home birth this time, would not be allowed to have a water birth, need continuous monitoring, need to be set up with a canula in place ready for expected blood transfusion .... it just wouldn't be the type of natural birth that I would want anyway so I don't feel as though I will be missing out by choosing an elective.
06/01/2013 at 14:40
Different situation as I was awake for my first (emergency) section but I went for an elective straight away with #2 and will do the same this time. Pros for me were better the devil I knew, calm situation, easier recovery from an elective. I went home the following day and was able to enjoy my baby straight away which I wasn't the first time as I wasn't tired from labour. It's your decision but I have never regretted choosing another section.
06/01/2013 at 14:41
I have an anaesthetic review this month so i am hoping that might make things clearer. If they say i have back issues and theres no way i can have an epidural i guess that rules out a section..
I am just finding it so hard to make a decision..
06/01/2013 at 16:14
I had an emergency section with my first, and wanted another CS when pg with J. My consultant refused, and i'm so glad she did. My VBAC was amazing. Having him delivered straight on to me was immense. I had a slight graze which fully healed after a couple of days, and was home a few hours after his birth. I was dreading it, but was so glad I did it. Was so much better than having another CS for me, just wish I hadn't spent so long worrying about it.
06/01/2013 at 16:25
I had a crash GA section with J and although I also desperately want to avoid another one I feel compelled to try for a VBAC this time. I've met with the consultant twice now andalthough I will need continuous monitoring and a cannula in the whole time, they will try to help me keep mobile and as long as the pool is free I can use that. The reason that he went into distress was due to negligence at the birthing unit we were in and we are at a different until this time. I am also refusing to have to hormone drip to speed things up (they gave me too much last time and gave me an epidural at the same time which they shouldn't have done and ignored the reading from the monitoring indicating signs of early distress). All in all I feel much more in control and confident this time round - fingers crossed!
07/01/2013 at 20:05
Thanks so much for sharing everyone x
07/01/2013 at 20:40
I had a long labour ending in emergency section with my first and was going to try a vbac with my second but didn't go into labour so had another section , the planned section was a much better experience and it really wasn't too bad. This time though the midwife told me I could have a vba2c and i spent ages trying to decide but in the end the consultant said the risks for me were too high. I did feel disapointed and they said it was my choice but really didn't recommend it for me, speak to everyone you can and then look at the risks/pro/cons. Hope it works out the best way for you.
11/06/2016 at 15:11
For my second child I had a breech baby, they tried to turn, did not work, brought on labor then emergency section. Now 7 years later I would like VBAC but I have a feeling they won't allow it as they use a transverse classical uterine cut for Breech C-section and this carries a higher risk of uterine rupture. I would say to anyone who can, try for a normal delivery.
11/06/2016 at 16:55
Hey everyone, : )
Just thought I would share my experience..
I had my Son 9 years ago by elective C-section because he was big (3 weeks early 8lb 7oz) an was breech.
They offered to turn him but I was told that quite often babies turn back around an if any signs of stress are shown that it would result in an emergency C-section anyway..
They couldn't get the epidural in me so in then end I had a spinal tap.. (But my back was black and blue after from the several failed attempts of the epidural)
Personally.. Looking back I regret not going to try an have him turned because the recovery process was very long an sore!! (Sorry not trying to put anyone off just my view from personal experience) Also it's was 6 weeks of not really being able to fully lift things.. So please bare in mind this can also affect any mums who drive or need to go Up stairs..
You are kept in hospital for 3 days an I hated having to keep ringing the buzzer to ask the nurses to lift baby into me for every feed an change or just for a cuddle.
I also wanted to be the first to bath my son but because I was bed bound the nurses had to do it for me where I had a catheter in.
I am now 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby an I'm really hoping to have a normal straight forward birth (I am booked in to see a consultant an hopfully get the go ahead providing baby plays ball an doesn't get comfortable in breech position)
My reason for this is because I'm already a Mum I wont really have a chance to take it easy as I have to get Up an do School runs etc.. an I just want to be able to get Up an get my bits an pieces done with my baby an not have to be uncomfortable and rely on people.
Obviously if I need to have a C-section then I will have one but I'm really hoping this won't be the case!!
x x x
20/03/2017 at 10:23
Hi there I'm new to this , I just wanted some support , I am 26 weeks pregnant with my second and feeling petrified of vbac ! I had a very rough pregnancy first with including kidney infection hind waters breaking at 23 weeks steroid injections and induced two months early for it to fail and was sent home with out a baby spontaneous labour took place at 37 weeks with 31 hours of labour and back to back contractions to only reach 7 cm and then have a emergencie C sec ! Recovery was awful Couldn't move and infection took place 2 weeks after meaning draining every week . This pregnancies how ever has been fab no probs as of yet and midwife highly recommends vbac and I'm scared out of my mind , hours and hours of pain again scares me and the thought of if I am strong enough to push through and push him out (ha ha ) if anyone has any views i would really appreciate it thankyou ☺️
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.