Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
27/03/2013 at 20:01
Argh. You may, or may not, have seen my thread that my elective section date has been booked and this has now sent me in to doubts about whether I have made the right decision, despite having been adamant all along that it was what I wanted.I really need to get it all out and would appreciate any views, opinions, experiences etc. I feel that I can't be totally honest about reasonings with the midwife as then it might be held against me in some way so here goes. Would be very interested to hear your experiences of VBAC after an EMCS too.VBAC Pros• No major surgery• Able to drive sooner – major issue as N working away• Did well in labour up to 8cm last time• Last chance to “give birth”• VBAC Cons• Not know when baby is going to arrive• Mum (ie childcare for Zoe) is 2 hrs away• N would not be able to work from home for 2 weeks “just in case” and so a good chance I would have to labour on my own and he may miss the birth• Continuous monitoring so effectively stuck on the bed (one midwife said would work with me to enable active birth while beeing monitored but next one was very dismissive of this)• No water birth – they are trying to get funding for a waterproof monitor but unlikely to be in place by July• Could end up with a section again but after having laboured and in traumatic circumstances• N pretty traumatised by whole experience last time and think he would find it very difficult to relax and support me, especially if things started going wrongELCS Pros• Know when baby is coming• Able to organise child care and make sure N is here• Controlled environment, less likely to end up in a general anaesthetic again• Easier on N who is still traumatised after our experience last time• Longer hospital stay
Know when baby coming, much easier to prepare Zoe who is really struggling with change these days• Can arrange for mum to be here to look after Z • N will definitely be here• Baby will arrive before end of school term so can take in to school (if she got in to the school for reception this wouldn’t be as much of an issue)ELCS Cons• Major surgery, could be difficult recovery due to level of scar tissue• No driving afterwards – major problem• Will be on my own with 4 yr old and newborn from 2 weeks post surgery, lifting was still difficult at this point after last section so worried how I would cope
Edited because I mixed up my pros and cons but now formatting has gone wonky, hope it still makes sense
27/03/2013 at 20:08
Based on my own experience and from what I know of your story with Z, I would go for the ELCS in your position. I think the pros of that far outweigh the cons - and the pros are longer term as well. My ELCS was a far easier recovery than my EMCS and not having laboured beforehand really made a difference.
ETA - what I mean by longer term is that the pros of VBAC mostly seem to be based around recovery which is fairly short term, but the psychological side of things and avoiding a similar experience again and the related trauma seems to be better covered by ELCS, if that makes sense
27/03/2013 at 20:15
Wow this is like i am reading my own post! I got to 10cm with G and 2 hours of pushing that ended in a section under GA. Odd question but you arent in Medway are you? Our hospital is also in the process of obtaining wireless monitoring...
So i was sure i wanted a section. After tying myself in knots for months i decided to have a section for many of the reasons you state above including H's parents being 1.5 hours away BUT then i requested a birth debrief session with a consultant midwife and my mind changed completely. She put me at 80% success rate of vbac as i had got to 10cm begore. The only reason i had a section was because G was sideways apparently so no something my body didnt do properly.
I decided with G to look after i wanted to give vbac a go so recovery time is less. I also feel very upset by G's birth and feel that if i dont try a vbac i will always wonder what if. I am doing everything i can to try and make this a more positive experience and to try and lay some demons to rest - reading up on hypnobirthing, bouncing on ball to get baby into good position, wanting to be more active etc. I have been told by 3 professionals that i wont be stuck on the bed. The leads are very long so you can walk, bounce etc.
Do you know the details of why you needed a section? Is it an issue likely to recur (i.e. if your pelvis was too small)? It was undrrstanding the full details that changed my mind. I am fully aware there are no guarantees and the same thing can happen again but for me i decided i needed to try but tgats just how i feel. You need to do what is right for you.
If you have any other questions please ask xxx
27/03/2013 at 20:20
MM, that's interesting and I will be looking out for your birth story in a few months time. As for why I ended up with a section, I've just found out that I had progressed further to 9cm by the time of the section which I hadn't known until the other week. Transferred in to hospital as had been 8cm for 6 hrs and not dilating equally. Have recently discovered that there were concerns about Zoe's heart rate as it was very fast, and then when monitoring started as hospital is stopped hence crash section. Again we have just discovered she was back to back, looking up and her head wasn't straight on the cervix hence not dilating properly. The consultant today basically said that the reason I ended up with a GA was because I had wanted to have a home birth and that was my fault ... which was helpful, not. Did kind of make me repeat my mantra of "I want a section" rather more strongly until he booked it - and of course now I'm faltering.
If H was going to be around I would have been inclined to book section for 41, maybe even 42 weeks and see whether nature did it's thing and rely on fate, but I am worried about what would happen if I went in to labour and H was in London.
27/03/2013 at 20:26
I had a kind of elcs with Isaac but he was transverse and I went into labour so it was semi emergency but never felt like that iyswim. Just to say I had him at 0010hrs on the Thursday, was desperate to get home, stayed Thursday obviously, but stayed Friday night as I wanted to make sure feeding was ok, got out on Saturday morning. I could have pushed for a Friday evening discharge but I was adamant he had a tongue tie (he did) and I wanted them to see it [they didnt]
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.