Pregnancy & Birth Clubs <
24/06/2014 at 08:01
This week's topic is for all things relating to delivery, or birth - choices that go in your birth plan, but might not pan out that way.
Did you/do you have your heart set on a specific location to meet your little one? Aiming for vaginal birth or elected for a C-section for medical or other reasons? What pain relief are you hoping for or would you recommend?
Please do join in with any tips or questions....
24/06/2014 at 08:31
Nope. Didn't have a birth plan ever, with #1 I'd no idea what could happen, no one ever asked for a birth plan and it turned into a horrific experience where I was intubated and unconscious for the birth, tbh I'm so glad I didn't have my heart set on an ideal. My plan was just to go with it and was very open to all suggestions. I hadn't any strong views on pain relief at all. Knew I wanted to bf but other than that no plan.
Number 2 was a termination at 18+5, we had more if a plan for him, we wanted skin to skin, I wanted every pain killer going because it was traumatic enough delivering him never mind being in pain too. Hospital staff were fab and we were treated amazingly and it sounds daft but it was a very positive experience in that everything was done to meet our needs.
Number 3, we wanted immediate skin to skin (L didn't get skin to skin as I was unconscious, so if the same were to happen h was told he'd to go with the baby and leave me and give skin to skin which tbf is what he did with number 1 but I was insistent that this time h stay with Isaac should anything happen), we wanted photos of him almost straight away again as we didn't with L, I wanted to bf, again no massive plan as tbf these babies don't really stick to the plan lol, so I was booked for elective section but went into labour with a transverse lie which was then an emergency. Staff were great again and the encouraged h to go with Isaac whilst he needed oxygen etc which I was glad about.
This time section again, making no firm plans, anything can happen. Want to bf again ASAP and as early a discharge as possible (aiming really for no more than 24 hrs), o and I'm a bit specific about dates because baby due around Williams birthday and the hospital have said they will arrange it so that its a different week (this was my main concern)
Other than that I'm easy, birth is such an intense time and I was happy to do whatever it took for safe arrivals. I had a friend who spent months devastated that her plan wasn't followed to the letter and tbf it just didn't bother me
24/06/2014 at 08:47
I have ideals, but am also realistic about things not going to plan. I'm aiming for a home water birth, with minimal intervention and pain relief. Doing hypnobirthing to help this. I am well aware that I could end up in the hospital down the road (10 mins in an emergency), but want c section to be an absolute last resort. Will accept any other intervention before that. I'd like early BF, skin to skin, and if I am in hospital, a 6hr discharge. Hubby is not to leave me except in a life or death situation.
I think due to work (where I've delivered plenty of home births, even in unplanned emergency situations) I see hospital as somewhere for sick people, and I am pregnant, not ill!
24/06/2014 at 08:59
I think due to work (where I've delivered plenty of home births, even in unplanned emergency situations) I see hospital as somewhere for sick people, and I am pregnant, not ill!
Ha Barefoot, that gave me a chuckle. By the (bitter) end I felt pretty damned ill, lol!
24/06/2014 at 09:06
Barefoot I'm the opposite, Iv been an a&e sister for coming on 12 years and I see hospitals not only for the sick but where anaesthetics/theatres emergency drugs (all if which I needed with #1) are accessible immediately
24/06/2014 at 09:11
Also I'm probably different maybe due to experiences but I'm insistent h goes with the baby so the baby always has someone they know with them. With # 1 h wasn't allowed in theatre as it was a category 1 crash section he was removed whilst they intubated me, they took L to him after he'd been checked and he gave skin to skin, where as with Isaac I told him if anything happens then go straight to Isaac and leave me,itl be the same this time
24/06/2014 at 09:20
I agree with you on hubby going with baby, RF. I was gutted when Harry was taken away alone post-birth. When they took Agnes hubby's instinct was to stay with me but I made him go. And actually had written that in the birth plan, and agreed it, but in the moment he completely forgot.
If baby and I were separated for longer I was a bit funny about no one (except my son) seeing baby before me if I had a GA. Not my mum, sister, no one.
24/06/2014 at 09:21
I had similar thoughts to Red Fraggle. I could have gone to a fancy new birth centre near us that looked like a very nice hotel but I wanted to be in a clinical place where drugs and the right medical professionals were on hand, just in case.
It turned out that i didnt require any intrervention and could have easily given birth at the birth center but I dont regret my decisions. I felt more comfortable that if needed, everything was there.
I was happy to go with the flow and for anythin to be done to ensure my baby arrived safely. Was happy to have an epidural but in the end in wasnt needed.
I loved G&A, I know some ladies feel squiffy or sick but it made me feel amazing and very with it!
24/06/2014 at 09:23
My h loves g&a
24/06/2014 at 09:29
For me, I had my heart set on a home birth, I was excited not apprehensive. I was looking forward to every last painful, mucky bit of the birth, and didn't want to go anywhere near a hospital. But I ended up very over, very fed up and with a concerned husband who supported me in waiting longer, but found it harder to withstand the pressure from the hospital for repeated induction methods or a C section. So we were in hospital, quite a lot in the end! The staff were lovely but it really wasn't anything like home and I couldn't wait to escape (and left the grounds many times during inductions).
I wanted as little pain relief as I could manage, as a default, and then see how it went. After a bad experience with pethidine I really wanted to avoid it, my son was affected by the pethidine and it impacted on breastfeeding and was very scary when he was initially born. Ironically instead of avoiding pethidine I had it early on (persuaded by husband about 4 hours in) so that the effects would have hopefully worn off before baby made an appearance.
I was very anti epidural - I think the concept is great, just didn't want one for me. I think if I had known what a battle it would be to have her I might have given it more consideration. If there's a next time I'll be more open-minded about it. I thought the gas and air was good though. it made me feel sick and I couldn't eat, but the psychological effect of feeling floaty was so welcome.
24/06/2014 at 09:46
With #1, I had no birth plan, I didn't find out I was pg until 16 weeks, and had him at 27 weeks, so barely had time to get my head around being pg, before I had him. I had pethidine, G&A, and an emergency CS (after my cervix closed once I lost my water)
With #2, I decided there was no point having a birth plan. After having C, I was well aware of how things can go "wrong", so was happy to just go with the flow for the most part.
The only thing I was certain of, was that I didn't want any student midwives in the room with me. When I was in delivery with C, the room was full of people, and I wanted there to only be my MW in with me when having J (aswell as H, obvs)
Birth wise, I wanted another CS, as that is what I knew, and the thought of a vbac terrified me. My consultant said there was no reason why I needed a CS, so pushed for me to go for a vbac, and I am so glad she did. Homebirth wouldn't have been an option as I was high risk, but I wouldn't have wanted one anyway, again due to the experience of C's birth.
Pethidine did nothing for me when having C, so declined tha't have been an option when having J. After watching OBEM, I was also anti epidural, as I wanted to feel what was happening. I didn't like that they were told when to push, I wanted to know when I needed to, if that makes sense. I begged for one, and was glad that I could still feel when I needed to push.
With #2, I declined G&A for as long as I could cope with the pain. I gave in, after 22 hours of contractions, and then had a go at H, saying "why didn't you let me have this sooner". My H loved it too, I got a pic of him having a blast of it. Was so glad I packed loads of sports bottles of water, as I hated how dry it made my mouth.
I think I'm quite lucky as the birth centre at my hopital is on the same corridor as the labour ward so access to drugs, doctors and theatre takes seconds. I'm hoping for a water birth with no pain relief (another one doing hypnobirthing) as I have an arrythmia which although the consultants don't think will affect me at all I don't want to take the chance. I'd rather go au naturel for as long as possible but would follow medical advice if me or the baby were getting into trouble. Things can change v quickly even with the most straightforward births and as much as I wanted a home birth the safety of my baby is priority. Plus my mum and H pointblank refused to allow a home birth due to the heart stuff haha. I'm also of the mind that H will go where the baby goes but I think he would struggle to make that choice on his own.
We don't know the sex of the baby either and I want H to be the first to find out.
24/06/2014 at 10:02
I have to go to the labour ward as I am consultant led (bicornate uterus).
I have no plan. I am trying to just stay open minded and as relaxed as possible and will just do as I am told!!
There are a few things I would like, Mr Kapowski to cut the cord and tell me what it is (boy or girl) but other than that I plan to just go with the flow!
24/06/2014 at 10:19
Like Jonesy the midwife unit at my hospital is just down the corridor from the labour ward so it's easy to have access to both. I didn't really have a birth plan, I was happy to just go with it. I ended up scribbling down a couple of things when my contractions started though! My plan was midwife unit, lots of moving around, delayed cord clamping, H to cut cord and skin to skin. I ended up being moved to the labour ward to have my waters broken, strapped to the bed for monitoring for most of the labour, cord was cut straight away by a midwife and S was whipped away by the paediatrician so skin to skin didn't happen for ages.
In terms of pain relief, gas and air made me throw up. A lot. I had a shot of morphine which I didn't really like and don't think I'd use again. It made things really hazy, but I still felt the pain. H thinks it helped me as I slept for a bit. Only positive was that they have me an anti sickness injection along with it so after that I managed to use the gas and air when they took blood from S's head and when I was being stitched up at the end. Not sure it really helped but gave me something to concentrate on!
Next time I won't bother writing anything down!
24/06/2014 at 11:21
This is a really interesting thread, thanks Counter.
I hadn't even got to thinking about let alone writing a birth plan, but my plan was to be super open minded and without preconceptions. I knew I would never want a home delivery as my instinct is the current drive for it is motivated by lack of beds in the hospital wards. After spending a week here I keep hearing the MWs telling people "sorry we have no more beds!"
I've been told most likely c sec which hasn't upset me in any way - in a way I find it easier not to have any choice!
24/06/2014 at 13:34
I didn't do a birth plan for number one as it was my first and I wasn't really sure how I'd cope with the pain etc. I did decide to make the MLU my first port of call but if it was in use and I couldn't go so be it. Labour ward is in the same building so no big deal getting there. Same for if I needed intervention/stronger pain relief. Labour ward was right there.
Turns out MLU was empty and I arrived fully dilated so little time for anything more then a few puffs of gas and air. I would've liked to have used the pool but there wasn't time.
Isla arrived after an hour of pushing with no tearing so I was lucky as it was straight forward. I had 30 mins of skin to skin/ breast feeding before going to post natal ward as another lady wanted to use the room.
With Maya I really wanted the same experience so I guess I had a bit more of a 'plan' MLU/ gas and air/ birth pool if time. This made me feel more anxious in the lead up to her birth as Isla had been such plain sailing I really wanted that again I was really scared of the thought of having a section especially now there was a toddler at home to look after too. However if it had come to it and that was the only way baby would be born safely so be it.
Luckily my second labour was much the same as the first although an hour quicker. Arrived at MLU fully dilated. 16 mins of pushing with gas and air and maya was born. No stitches and and hour of feeding/skin to skin as the MLU was empty.
24/06/2014 at 14:17
I was completely open minded and know far too many people who've been disappointed when things didn't go to plan. I wasn't keen on a water birth, but didn't go so far as to put it in any form of written birth plan.
I ended up having pethidine as G&A did absolutely nothing for me, other than making me concentrate on breathing. They said it should make me feel like I'd had a stiff double. Clearly I've had far too many stiff doubles in my time for it to have any effect!
I also ended up having a water birth and I can't even remember how it ended up going that way. Despite my initial reservations, I loved it.
Next time, I'd express a preference for a water birth, if at all possible. I think I'd also like the midwives to make decisions for me. I'm not good with being faced with too many choices, as was the case when they were offering pain relief. I'd have rathered someone just make the decision for me. I fully appreciate that I am probably in the minority in this respect and it's good to be offered choices, but I was in no mindset to have to weigh up pros and cons, I just wanted someone to tell me "this is what is happening".
24/06/2014 at 20:56
With k I had written some basic stuff, I didn't want a water birth, was open to pain relief but didn't want an epidural, wanted delayed cord clamping and was due to use the midwife led unit. I also wanted to have a c section, but also open to going with the flow as i think professionals know best most of the time. Turns out my waters went at 36+6 so had to be on the consultant led unit (this is downstairs, midwife led upstairs). Was examined when we arrived and I was wasn't even 1cm dilated! Ended up being in triage for around 5 and a half hours due to baby not wriggling a lot and then the staff in triage wanting to wait to transfer me to the ward after hand over had been down. I had one lot of paracetamol at the beginning and one lot of cocodamol. H insisted I was examined as my contractions were getting intense and they realised I was 10cm. Was taken to a ward, given gas and air which I enjoyed for pain relief but was trying not to use with every breath as I didn't want to get any drunk feeling. K got stuck, I was taken to theatre and given an epidural as they were going to try forceps and if they didn't work a c section. Luckily the forceps worked. H took k into recovery while I was sorted, then she needed to go to nicu and doc said that h stay with me while they stabilised her. I'm glad he did as they had to intubate her and put in several lines for bloods, drip etc and as she was so small I think it would have been very traumatic to see. We both went down an hour or so later. Midwife was very good at keeping us up to date.
This time I'm open to anything. Should end up on the midwife led unit, will opt for gas and air again, avoiding epidural if possible. I would prefer to avoid a c section but know if they suggest it, its for mine or babys benefit. I want to move around more and be on hands and knees if possible. I would like skin to skin as soon as possible and bf, things I couldn't do with k as she needed the intervention. I would also like h to stay with baby but if they needed to be stabilised would understand if he wanted to stay with me instead.
24/06/2014 at 21:28
I was quite open to seeing how I went, I wanted to try the MLU and a pool (MLU attached to consultant led delivery also for quick transfer of needed). I ended up being induced and as I hadn't written anything on my birth plan my MW on delivery asked me my preferences- I was happy to go with her advice on pain relief etc and see how things went. My only thing I insisted on was if my son was removed for me for any reason SCBU etc my H was to accompany him at all times (I had my mum as my birth partner also for this, so I would have someone with me). I ended up with an EMCS prior to the onset of labour, my MW was fab my son was taken straight to the special care docs in theatre and she called my H straight over and one of the theatre staff sat with me.
If I have another child I am torn between an ELCS and a VBAC but I think I can only make that decision if I get pregnant
25/06/2014 at 08:05
I just going with the flow!
My *plan* is that both babies are delivered healthy and if they are well, both get skin to skin with H or me as soon as possible after birth.
Whether I have a vaginal delivery or section it will be closely monitored and I will have an epidural quite early in labour. With the vaginal delivery, getting the second twin out before its placenta starts to detatch (whilst it sill needs it in utero) is the biggest risk. Having the epidural in situ means any manipulation or instrumental delivery will be much more comfortable for me and therefore quicker to perform. It also means I am ready to get the second twin out by c section in the worst case scenario - but as long as they both come out healthy, I won't complain.
Currently they are both head down and my pregnancy has been smooth, so vaginal delivery is being encouraged.
If they turn, or show any signs of distress over the next few weeks, then the decision will probably be made to go for a section.
I'm keeping an open mind. If I don't have my heart set on a certain type of birth, I'll hopefully minimise the disappointment if things don't go to plan
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.