Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weight gain thread -for those gained over 2/3 stone in total

I am 22+4 and I have gained 17lbs - crikey - I dont know how!! my appitite hasnt got worse and I am eating healthy.

However I am hoping it will slow down - I am expecting to put on 2/12 - 3 stone (16-18 kgs)

When did you put most weight on, did you put lots on then slow down?

I put on 7lbs in the first 10 weeks then slowly the rest and about 5lbs in past 2/3 weeks.....its really upsetting me

22+4

[Modified by: akaLadyK on 27 May 2009 08:37:46 ]

Replies

• Don't let it upset you honey! Is it worth speaking to the midwife? I stepped on the scales two weeks ago and wished I hadn't, but as hubby keeps reminding me, now is not the time to do anything about it. I'm new to all this so I can't really speak from experience, but didn't want to read and run!
    Em 14+2 x x x
  • Thanks Emily......I need to stop getting on the scales in the morning - its becoming a habit and deciding if I have a good day or not.

I am going to limit myself to once a week haha

I brought some of those new 'fitflops' yesterday - maybe they will work hehe

22+4
  • hi and congrats on your preg btw, thought i would just add that i had a baby 6wks ago now and i put on 3 stone altogeter, and i had hyperemisis for 20 odd weeks! so god knows how much i would put on if i hadnt had it, but tbh i not really bothered she is worth it, it goes eventually, but if thats all you put on so far thats not too bad mine piled on towards teh endxx

chloe and lacey 6.5 weeks x
  • wen i was preg with my son i put on all my weight in the last 6 weeks it just piled on :lol: id put on throughout my pregnancy but it just seemed to pile on in those last weeks xx
  • I dont mean to upset anyone here, but there is so much more to life than how much weight you gain when pregnant.
    Im not saying you shouldnt look after your body and be healthy, but dont obsess about how many lbs you gained each week!
    I havent weighed myself since 12 week check and I dont intend to.
    What does it matter? I was a size 12 and healthy before pregnancy, my doctor and midwife do not feel that I have gained to little or too much weight, so thats all that matters.

Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant, but I just cant understand the weight issue.
    Dont get me wrongm I will be a s keen as the next mum to get back to my pre baby shape, but im not going to spend 9 months stressing about it!
    xxx
  • I totally agree - I need to let it go! I had eating disorder when I was younger and I think it has stuck with me through adulthood in some manner....I think why i am noticing it at the min is because I am nearly 23 weeks with no bump at all and 17lb weight gain. I think when I get my lushious little bump i will be over the moon and forget the weight gain.

Also my mum is diabetic and got gestational with all her pregnancies and they have told me to keep weight down, my little brother was 10lbs at 7 1/2 months, so this is in the back of my head.

But I agree MrsD i need to concentrate on other things and just try and stay healthy as i have been doing - geeez when it took me 8 months ttc i would have been happy with a 6 stone weight gain....how quickly we forget

22+4
  • So far I have gained around 2 1/2 stone and Im only 30 weeks. I lost a couple of lbs in the first tri then when my morning sickness went and I got my appetite back thats when I gained the most in the quickest time.Since 25 weeks it has slowed down. I try not to weigh myself much as Im gaining more than I wanted to.
    I only put on 2 1/2 stone overall with my last pregnancy so thats why is a shock to have already put that on.
    My baby is so worth it though and Im quite enjoying indulging myself whilst pregnant.
    Make the most of it I say! hehe

Fiona xx
    30+4
  • Thanks Katie :\)

My mum keeps saying 'if ever you can get fat and put weight on its now, so enjoy' - so true!
  • I am sorry for those of you that have suffered with eating disorders in the past. I too have great experience of this as my best friend was a sufferer too.
    But I just feel like what is anyone going to achieve by analysing how much weight has been gained but each week of pregnancy? Will it make you feel better or worse to compare your self to others? What is really the answer you are looking for?
    I mean this is a totally positive way and not having a go, I promise. I dont think any answer posted on here will make you feel any better, you just need to focus on yourself. If there is one thing this site shows it is that every woman is totally different. We all took varing amounts of time to conceive, gained different amounts of weight and ate differently - and all have different size bumps.

Im just saying that we should all try and focus on the good things that are happening to our body. If you dont weigh yourself, you wont be able to stress about how much you have gained and if you are "normal"!
    I say bin the scales!
    xx
  • I dont mean to upset anyone here, but there is so much more to life than how much weight you gain when pregnant.
    xxx

I think thats probably easy to say if you are gaining the 'expected/reccommended' amount. With my twin pregnancy i gained 6 stone, I visited a nutritionist and was healthy but pre pregnancy i was extrememly active and problems in pregnancy meant i cld hardly walk let alone do my running, my weight gain has ruined my pregnancy. This time I am being even more careful and am being closely monitered but I am not me anymore if that makes any sense my babies are worth every single pound but its still a struggle

xxDBxx
  • I am sorry for those of you that have suffered with eating disorders in the past. I too have great experience of this as my best friend was a sufferer too.
    But I just feel like what is anyone going to achieve by analysing how much weight has been gained but each week of pregnancy? Will it make you feel better or worse to compare your self to others? What is really the answer you are looking for?
    I mean this is a totally positive way and not having a go, I promise. I dont think any answer posted on here will make you feel any better, you just need to focus on yourself. If there is one thing this site shows it is that every woman is totally different. We all took varing amounts of time to conceive, gained different amounts of weight and ate differently - and all have different size bumps.

Im just saying that we should all try and focus on the good things that are happening to our body. If you dont weigh yourself, you wont be able to stress about how much you have gained and if you are "normal"!
    I say bin the scales!
    xx

I disgree that posts on here dont help, they help me massively. In fact it makes me feel normal when 'normal' women and not the books say 'yes i have been through that also'. Not just weight but lots of things, emotions, pains...........nipples, discharge the lot.

I know you mean well but these answers really do help me.

22+4

• to quote MrsDickson:

I used to look at the scales weekly from the beginning of this pregnancy for my own personal reason not to compare myself to others. I was just intrigued to see how much or little I would gain and also to compare it to my last pregnancy. I would like to look back after Ive had the baby and go 'ooh I put on loads in the 2nd tri but hardly anything in the 3rd'. Just because I find it interesting.
    BUT as it goes I have put on a lot more than expected (not that im complaining or worried) so I dont weigh myself very often at all, havent done for a few weeks.
    I definatly want to weigh mysef right at the end though, then again just after the birth and then say 6 weeks later as I find it interesting.

Fiona xx
    30+4
  • as i said i put on 3 stone in toatl etc.. but i didnt go mad i didnt eat anything and use being pregnant as an excuse, you do put on weight it is one of those things and if you dont then well theres something wrong, lol! it never bothered me whilst preg and i never thought omg i have put on x amount, but i now do feel a little stressed about it especially as my pre preg jeans dont even go above my thighs! and my shoes no longer fit me either they have gained weight to and gone up a size, but it doesnt matter it will go!! dont stress about it, enjoy your pregnancie it goes tooo quick i miss my bump already, just dont go mad on silly things!!!! we are here to help each other, rant away xx
  • I wish I had kept my mouth shut now as I think im been misunderstood!
    ITs great that we can all speak to one another and find out if all the great signs and symptoms of pregnancy are "normal".
    I just feel that the weight issue is such a sensitive one. I hate to think of women being constantly on the scales and stressing about things that are not worth it, thats all.
    If you have an issue with food/weight then to me you are only adding to your problems by weighing yourself. If you didnt know how much you had gained, you would not be able to worry.
    xx
  • i agree with your last post mrs dickson totally, you dont and shouldnt need to stress about it wqhilst preg, x
  • Thanks Chloe!
    I really dont want to upset anyone, in fact, I was trying to achieve the total opporsite!
    I just think the words didnt quiet reflect that.

Its just about finding a way to cope that suits you.
    No offence ment.
    xxxxxx
  • Mrs D I am by no ways upset by what you have written. I knew you meant well and I understood what you were saying.

• I get what you are saying Mrs D - I was stressing before as I have put on 2.5 stone roughly and I am 27+3......but you know what I just dont care now hahaha....I think once I got my bump (I LOVE my bumo haaha) I didnt look 'fat' anymore I just look pg!

love to you all and your lovely bumps!!
    xxxxx

MKB
  • i think the best thing all mummies to be can do is hide the scales till at least 6 weeks after the birth :\)

i last weighed myself at my 12 wk scan and then hid my scales away. im now 37 weeks and as big as a house :\) but love it all. i figure i may have put on about 3+ stone so far but im hoping to be back to my pre preg weight 9 months after little one is here. it takes 9 months to put on so im not wanting to stress out about it. and your not really meant to do much exercise till 6 week after the birth to make sure all your insides are in the best shape they can be.

so hide the scales ladies its not worth the worry.
  • I have neer been weighed by the midwife and she hasn't taken any measurements either. Just asked my pre-pregnancy weight at booking-in appt and that's it.

Focus on being healthy and happy ;o)