Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What did you do to try to conceive a boy/girl?

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone specifically tried to conceive a boy versus a girl or vica versa and if their efforts paid off?

Intrigued to know if any of the old wives tales are true!

Replies

• Options
    No, after 12 months of ttc with ivf on the cards and one ectopic pregnancy I was just delighted to have a healthy baby!xx
  • Options
    no idea

i am unsure if its got truth to it anyway

xx
  • Options
    the shettles method worked for us, we didnt do it intentionally but was charting and it worked out like that, BD on OV and concieved a boy, BD a few days before OV and concieved a girl x
  • Options
    Yeah piggypops I have heard that theory. I have two girls and not by choice we had sex running up to ovulation but with work and shifts we didn't have sex the day before ovulation and ended up with two girls. They say its because the x sperm swim slower but live longer and the y swim faster but die quicker. For a girl have sex on days 10 to 13 and for a boy on the day of ovulation. Not sure how accurate this really is but thats the theory x
  • Options
    Just to throw a spanner in that theory! I am 5 weeks off having my second child. First baby is a girl and I know exactly when I conceived both of them as because of work, we only BD once each month we fell. With DD1, it was 4 days before OV and thought it would never happen, but it did! So when I fell pregnant this time, knowing about the Shettles method, thought this one would be a boy because BD a day after OV, but nope, another girl (unless 20 week and 4D scan got it all horribly wrong!!)

xx
  • Options
    firstly, i must say our main concern was a healthy baby and i would have been thrilled with either boy or girl. i knew oh would love a son so we bd on ov and oh had also been on zinc supplements as apparently boy swimmers are not as tough and zinc gives them an extra kick in their tail-im no scientist and this may be a pile of hot air-however it worked for us and i now have the most amazing baby boy! i dont know whether it was due to our efforts or whether we'd of conceived a boy anyway! x
  • Options
    We didn't try to sway it all but I do know we conceived our DD prior to OV and then this one (a boy) on day of OV x
  • Options
    We also had a girl by bd'ing up to ov but not right on it x
  • Options
    according to my dating scan (when i was pregnant with my daughter), i actually fell pregnant the day before the last period that I had! my period was the same as always n i didnt suspect anything up until i missed the period after that so im not sure when i ovulate lol!x x