Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

wisdom teeth/dental problems advice please!

morning all,

over the summer (pre-pregnancy) i had problems with my emerging wisdom tooth to the point i couldn't open my mouth (interesting!) and the dentist explained there was an infection and it had got into the muscle etc making me unable to open my mouth, so i had some antibiotics.

yesterday and today i've started to have pain in the same area again, similar to how it started last time. i'm going to ring the dentist this week to see if i can be seen but i was wondering if anyone else had had teeth/gum problems in pregnancy, and what the treatment was/is? are there safe antibiotics to take? i'll be 12 weeks on tues (fingers crossed, also have scan that day). i don't fancy being unable to open my mouth to eat my xmas dinner!!

thanks all! xxx

Replies

• You can take amoxicillin in pg, I had it when pg with my daughter & again this time.

It's common to get gum problems in pg due to the change in blood flow.
  • yep, some antibiotics are fine to take in pregnancy, if your dentist is NHS phone and ask for an emergency appointment, under their contract they are not allowed to refuse you, however, once the antibiotics have done their job they will probably advise an extraction. xx
  • thank you both. i go private so i'm hoping he will still see me...has to happen just before christmas doesn't it!! xx
  • Hello, i was at the dentist last week with an infection in my wisdom tooth and was precribed a course of erythromycin which is said to be safe in pregnancy, my dentist said that especially for bottom wisdom teeth (which i had the infection in) you need an xray before removing them as the roots could be bent or growing around a nerve so its not safe to take them out without this. If i wasnt pregnant and was able to have an xray he said it definately would have come out! xx
  • Hi hun,

I had this in very early pregnancy (about 5 weeks) so i was very nervous about antibiotics etc. My gums became very sore. I couldn't eat! Apparently as the wisdom tooth came through, an infection had started under the flap of gum once covering it. I went to the dentitst who prescribed me azithromycin.

Also, i was advised to use corsodyl mouthwash for 2 weeks and he gave me a pipette thingy to squirt some of it directly under the flap of gum that was infected. Within about 5 days it was much better!

I would also advise not googling gum infection and wisdom tooth infections in pregnancy! I scared myself senseless but it was all OTT rubbish and baby is fine!

xx
  • You should also try swilling your mouth with warm salt water - its very good for gum infections or even just a bit of soreness. Obviously don't swallow it but just rinse it round and you might find the inflammation goes down a bit! x
  • thank you all. i've been doing the hot water and salt mouthwash (yuck...not helping my gagging at the minute) and i think i'll stock up on corsodyl.

i've managed to get the last appointment he has before christmas, which is tomorrow afternoon so i'm happy with that, especially after i started googling (sorry sharn, did it before i read your post lol!) as i scared myself!!!

thanks again xxxx