Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Would a gym ball ease my back/hip pains???

Hi all
I'm suffering quite painfully with hip/leg cramps and also low back pain. I've not slept properly because of it for about 5 weeks now and it's now taking me much longer to be "back to normal" in a morning. IN fact, today i've still not got back to normal, very stiff.

So, would a gym ball maybe start easing the pain a bit? I'm willing to give anything a go so any other suggestions would be very welcome :\)

xxx
27+4

Replies

• Ha ha, Kelly, would you please stop reading my mind??!!

I was literally just waddling (no longer walking!) back from the toilet and wondering if maybe I should invest in the gym ball now to help with the bump/ hip pain!!

I got an e-mail this morning saying that my bump support bands have been despatched so will let you know how I get on with those too! xxx
  • hey ladies i have got a birthing ball which is basically a gym ball and i use it every day it works wonders for me as at the moment my hips are feeling like theyre going to snap and my back is constantly killing me. i sit and bounce on it and rock and rotate my hips I also lean over it to stretch my back out and it feels wonderful. theyre brill for elevating your feet too when you get swollen ankles! Id definitely recommend it and am going to be using mine when I go in to labour

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev207pp___.png

• Horrid isn't it, I am waking up every night with cramp in my calves and when I get up to go to the loo in the night it feels like my hips have just seized up, along with my lower back. I didn't know if it was the extra weight that's gone onto my bum putting pressure on either side of my hips when I lay on my side to sleep.
    Is this the same sort of pain that you get in your hips? Only after laying on your side, or is it constant?

xx
  • Ha Bert - that's 2 days running now!!! Ooo yeah, i'm hoping to pick one of those bands up when i'm in Boots on Saturday so yes please tell me how you get on.

LH - thanks hun, sounds like a good investment. I was thinking of getting one for nearer the birth anyway but if it'll help now then i'll get one. Not long to go for you now then!!!

Pootle - that sounds *exactly* like mine. It also seems to start after i've got out of the bath for some strange reason (you'd think Radox muscle soak would work!!) then i have a chill out time on the bed for 10 mins and that's it - my leg just seizes up and i can't move it. It comes from my hip and my bottom and just on my left side.
    Then i sit massaging it all evening in the vain hope it eases it but nope, within an hour of being in bed it starts again.
    Is yours constant or does that sound pretty similar for you too?
    I've read it's because of the extra weight and pressure of your uterus against your back.
    xx
  • pootle, I have a pain in my lower belly/ upper bits (!) at the moment but I do know exactly what pain you're describing because I get that when I've been laying on my side at night!

LH86- How far are you? Do you think it's too early at 25+2 for me to be using a birthing ball?
  • Bert - LH has added a ticker and she's 37+2 image
    I'm 27+4 and i'm going to get one at the weekend. It's worth a try eh?
    xx
  • yep... hell, anything's worth a try at the moment!!
  • I reckon it's just one of those things that we have to put up with ladies. I have my 24 week check up with GP tomorrow and I'm going armed with a load of questions - the hip thing is one of them, so I will report back on what she says. I can't imagine it will be anything more than 'not alot you can do about that' but it's worth a try!

xx
  • I know what you mean Pootle - i asked MW at my last check-up and she just said "Not a lot you can do" lol but as it's got worse i'm going to have to say something.
    Let us know how you get on chick, be interesting to see if they can offer some release anyway eh?
    xx
  • Yeah definitely. It is annoying though as when I wake up in the night to go to the loo I'm in pain from my bladder and know as soon as I move I'll be in pain from my hips!
    xx
  • Ha yep, snap!!! It's getting to the point where i'm not even enjoying my relaxing bath just because i know i'll be in pain afterwards!
    xx
  • nope nonow thank god!

id definitely recommend getting one now its definitely not too early its really good exercise for you aswell as it improves your posture and the more practice you get the better it will work for you when you actually use in when youre in labour - the last thing you want is to be falling off it all over the place when youre having a contraction! just keep it away from the OH as if hes anything like mine he will use it as either a space hopper, a football, or he will sit on it and fart to see what funny noises he can make lol

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev207pp___.png

• Hey,
    Had my 24 week GP check up yesterday, said to her about my hips and lower back and unfortunately she said it's just one of those things that I'll have to put up with.
    She did say that if my back was to get really really bad then speak to midwife and they should be able to refer you to have some physio done.
    Sorry couldn't be much help, but at least it puts our minds at rest image
  • Hey Pootle
    Oh no hun that's rubbish - i was thinking about you and hoping they'd be able to at least offer some kind of help grrr...
    Well i suppose it's nothing to "worry" about as it were and just a natural effect of pregnancy but still, quite frustrating!! Thanks for letting us know though chick xx
  • My doctor said that for any pregnancy related physio it will have to be done after the baby comes which is ridiculous when you get the complaint WHILST pregnant!
    Dx
  • hiya girls, just thought i would let yous know that ive ben having this bother since about 7 weeks and keep pestering the doctor and midwifes. i have been getting reflexology which hasnt helped ,
    went to doctors this week and got given some pills and signed off for a week and an appointment with doctors at anti nate, they have refered me for Acupuncture, so hopefully this helps

just keep pestering them till they help.

xx
  • Sorry, gatecrashing, just wanted to say that I had quite a bit of hip pain at the end of my second pregnancy (ended up on crutches for the last few weeks as my left hip went - please don't worry, I'm not saying it'll happen to you, I'm sure it won't!). Anyhow, a friend recommended osteopathy to me, and I found it very helpful both during pregnancy and afterwards. I did have to pay for it - I had weekly sessions at ??39 each - but it was well worth it. I had to keep using the crutches until after I'd given birth, but I felt much better. Just thought I'd mention it xx
  • In relation to the leg cramps, it could be something missing in your diet. I was getting really bad leg cramps- I had to keep going in to dr's on his order to check for blood clots.
    They ran some blood work and turned our I was very low in magnesium. I now have powered magnesium that I mix with water a few times a day (actually tastes really nice) and the cramps are pretty much gone. Once in a while I will get them but they are no where near as bad.