Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Trousers for skinny/slim toddlers?

I have a little boy of the tall, slim/skinny variety!! and am finding it difficult to get trousers to fit him. They are always too big around the waist even with a belt. He is 19 months and I tried a pair of Mothercare 12-18 month trousers I got in the sale on him this morning and they were so wide they fell off him! Mothercare jeans/trousers seem to be so wide and long, anyone else found this? The best fit i've found are mini boden as they seem to be very slim fit and always the right length. Not too expensive as we usually buy off ebay. Can anyone recommend any other brands for trousers that fit slim toddlers well? Am going to have to ebay quite a few jeans/trousers that he just can't wear! I'm going to have to start trying them on before we buy at this rate! Toddler changing rooms image

Replies

• Zara - they are long and skinny. Not cheapest, but they work!
  • I always buy the adjustable button elastic waist trousers as otherwise they fall right off cole - I could never be bothered with belts .. and then there was no chance once he was potty training!

He's so skinny he's still fitting in (button elastic) shorts size 12-18 months even though he'll be 3 in december!

They do seem to be hard to find (don't know why!) but recently I found 3 different colour/patterned ones in sainsburys that were not only button elastic waist but had a roll up popper bit on the leg.. I was incredibly excited over finding so many lol!! I actually bought him 1 pair in a 3-4 which fit perfectly at the moment when rolled up at the bottom!

Asda and boots also do the button elastic waist trousers but you do have to rummage for them.

If baby no2 is a girl (4d scan tomorrow) - I'm going to be ebaying all cole's grown out of clothes and I'll be starting with the 12-18 & 18-24 month stuff thats not in the loft yet so I can always have a rummage and let you know what we've got in case you are interested. Course this is all dependant on baby cooperating and flashing which the little monkey hasn't on the 2 nhs scans we've had lol!

This does drive me mad when I struggle to find trousers to fit him.. I just don't get why they can't put button elastic in more trousers!!!
  • tesco do some that have adjustable waists xx
  • Next do adjustable waist skinny trousers, well I guess they do for boys as they do for girls anyway!

I bought a few pairs of them in the sale last year for Skye to find they are all a rubbish fit on her as she is short and curvy like Mummy !! So they're all on eBay or on their way there, big waste of money : ( Should be ideal for Isaac though! : )
  • Hi bellah,

Al is skinny too (although not tall!) and he's still mostly in 9-12 month trousers! We do have a pair of adjustable waist ones from Next that are perfect although I still reckon ??12 per pair of trousers is expensive!!
  • I get mine from Next as they have adjustable waists. Beth is 19months and wears 9-12m trousers at the moment and they are perfect length. I have 12-18m tho and i know theyll fit cos i just bring the waist in. I have to say Beth is small but does have a tummy on her so im not even sure if they might be too big for your little man. Worth a go though. Debenhams come up fairly small too so that may be worth a look altho i dont know if they have adjustable waist.

I hate clothes sizes ... Beth has a mixture of 9-12m, 12-18m and newly brought 18-24m clothes in her wardrobe. I think you are right about the toddler fitting rooms!
  • Emmsy4 -definately agree that ??12 for ap air of trousers is expensive! The only next jeans Cole has were ??4 in the sale (I was dead chuffed to actually find something in his size 5 days after the sale started lol..and adjustable waist too). The most I've spent on his trousers is ??7 and I only did that cause of the adjustable legs.

Damn i'm cheap lol! But I know how quickly he wears out stuff..
  • Thanks ladies. Will have a look out for some adjustable waist ones in next and zara. We have some with an elasticated waist band but not the button adjustable ones. Am going to be madly checking all waistbands now in shops! :lol: Won't make the mistake of picking up trousers in the sale unless they are adjustable next time. Have yet to find a pair of jeans to fit him. Even though he's fairly tall they still seem to be too long in his actual size as well as too wide! Amazing how much different brands vary in size and length. Will let you know if I come across any other brands with a good fit for the tall and skinny! I wish I could say he followed his mummy but unfortunately not with the skinny part! :lol:
  • I got some in Peacocks today, for ??7 they have adjusable waist, I got 2-3 years, as 18-24 months are too short. 2-3 years are too long but I just turn the bottoms of them up, I will get a good two inches growth out of them. Also asda do a nice pair of slimfit jeans with adjustable waist too!
  • I just tend to put belts on Gabe or put him in tracksuit bottoms as they have an elasticated waist. He is 27 months and still fits in 12-18 jeans lol. He's gone in to 2-3 tops but takes ages to grow out of trousers x