Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Baby aspirin...... Any advice?????? Sorry to g/c

Having had two consecutive miscarriages and trying to get pg again a few people have told me wonder stories about taking a baby aspirin a day to help prevent future miscarriages.... Been Reading up a little and there seems no adverse side effects to trying it even if your blood results show no need to take it.... I can't bear to go through a third mc only to be told after testing that it could have been prevented by such a simple thing. Am I mad for wanting to start trying it????? Gp is a waste of space and gave me no answers, i have friends who swear that baby aspirin was the reason they went on to have healthy pregnancies..... I've not had any tests done yet as they only do them after three mc?????? Can't wait and see if I have a third so thought it can't hurt to take them and see if third time lucky when I get a bfp. Anyone used them or know about it.... Any advice would be wonderful, just ordered a tub of 100 75mg off amazon, they are low dose baby aspirin...... Really hope it works when I get my next bfp.... I'm prepared to try anything!!!! :roll:

Replies

• I've had 8 miscarriages in the past all at 6/7 weeks and with this pregnancy was advised by a private clinic to take 150mg of Aspirin daily. I'm now nearly 14 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby.

I would say get advice but it worked for me. image
  • Hiya chuck! Can't you go and see another GP? Mine referred me as I had taken so long to get pg the first time (18 months). I had 2 mc (mmc at 13 weeks and mc at 6-7wk) and I was referred. Luckily I got pg before appointment and cancelled the appointment. Hoping to read some fab news about you soon!
  • buttum

sorry to hear aout your previous mc and really happy your having a good pregnancy.

im intrigued after reading this thread. had never heard of this before - what brand did you take and where can i get it from. can it only be prescribed by a gp?
  • Hi I had 2 babies without any problems then 2 mc whilst trying for a 3rd. I took 75mg asprin with the next pregnancy and had another healthy baby.

However, I have had another 2 mc in the past year and was on asprin with both of those. Whilst pregnant with my 3rd child I was also given a thyroid supplement by my osteopath who said that my throid was sluggish and could've caused the mcs.

I didn't take the supplement at all with my first mc last year and only started it at 6 weeks with the next one which she thought was probably too late.

I carried on taking it continously after the last mc and am now 10 weeks pregnant. However, I have been seeing a consultant with the last 2 pregnancies and this time am also on steroids, cyclogest suppositories and daily clexane injections to prevent mc.

I completely understand how you feel as I feel that my last mc could have been prevented and was a wasted pregnancy. Interestingly, after the last mc I saw 2 different consultants (both experts in mc)at 2 different hospitals and their opinions could not have been more different. The other one said that he thought that with 3 healthy children the mc were just one of those things and I should not take any medication and would have a normal pregnancy soon. However, I didn't want to take that risk and lose another one hence taking all the medication this time.

I have been told that 75mg asprin does not do any harm so if it will make you feel as if you are doing something then it is probably worth you trying.

sorry for the long post, hope it helps and good luck for next time xx
  • Hey Girls thanks for the advice, I have started taking the aspirin, only on day three now..... I have just had my two peaks on cbfm so am keeping everything crossed...... I just thought well it can't hurt to try it, with two mc already I need to try something!!! Hope it works! Thanks guys x
  • Hi 3054, You know my history - 3 mc's and now pg for the forth time. I have taken 81mg of aspirin a day while ttc and during this entire pg, I also took progesterone supplements though for the first 13w of this pg too, so not sure what has helped really of if it's just blind luck. As I think you know they tested me for various conditions and found I have some blood antibody issues, the aspirin does not help that though and the doctor basically said I have no contraindications for taking the aspirin and it won't do me or baby any harm - basically it is to prevent small clots in the placenta and during formation of the attachment to the uterus. I would definitely tell your doc you're taking it incase there are any complications from it or in case you get prescribed something you should not take with it but other than that it shouldn't do any harm. I would say stick to the 75mg a day as the 150mg someone else mentioned seems rather high.

Southernbelle - you can buy them over the counter but need to tell your doc in case you have any issues - aspirin can have many effects on you (thinning the blood, internal bleeds etc,)and is not suitable for everyone so shouldn't be taken lightly on a regular basis or without checking with your doctor first - that goes for anyone reading this really - don't want to patronise but would hate for someone to think it's ok for everyone!

Good luck 3054 you deserve your sticky bean image

BoB. 29+4
  • thanks very helpful advice!!
  • hey

good luck with the aspirin. I had one MC then an ectopic and decided to start taking it after that and fell pregnant in my second cycle after the ectopic. I stopped taking it as soon as i got my bfp.

The way i saw it was that i didn't think it could do any harm but could possibly do some good!

Good luck to you

• Hello and not sure if my input is too late?

I have gone 3 IVF three times with one early MC other times was not succesful. My consultant couldn't work out why as my embryos were the best quality possible and then obviously the MC. I was also put on 75 mg of aspirin, along with Cyclogene and Clexana (but the latter two may be just because of the IVF?)....4th IVF try I am now 8 weeks pregnant and hoping to keep going. Do I believe in Aspirin? Absolutely and if I could TTC naturally I would be taking it. However I am no doctor and would stress to anyone that it should not be taken without a discussion with your doctor. Some people should not be taking it, even in such a small dose, especially if you suffer from indigestion/stomach problems etc as it can do more harm than good............

Good luck with your TTC I truly hope it will work out for you

K.
  • hi i seen this thread, and as i had mc in december thought i would try it. Went to see a friend of myn who is a doctor, who tould me that it is not worth the risk, as even tho sum doctors will tell some women to try it after 3 or 4 mc, it can also be known to cause mc. Best advice she said is eat healthy take folic and omega 3 and just take it easy, if its meant to b it will b. hope this is of help x
  • Sorry, late reply to this but just wanted to post...

...i had 2 missed miscarriages and on advice of a consultant, started to take 75mgs aspirin from before conceiving to week 34 of my pregnancy and i now have a gorgeous 6 month old daughter (it took 5 months TTC) Would def recommend taking it, lots of luck and baby dust image

SF xxx
  • So glad of this post, as i miscarried recently after ttc dor nearly 2 years. I'm gonna ask my GP bout it tomorro, i have no ulcers or anythig so will probably be allowed. If IVF pregnancies take clexane injections, asprin shouldnt cause any harm.