Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Men / Alcohol / TTC

Hi LAdies
Does anyone know of a good website I can show OH to prove to him that 4/5 beers is too much when TTC . he thinks cos he has cut down it's ok but he doesn't believe me when I say it should only be a couple a week.

He is really starting to pee me off now, he is speaking like he has swallowed a bloody fertility plan and hasn't got a clue what he is talking about - according to him we have definately done it this month as we BD on ovulation day - if only it was that freeking simple eh, I would be a millionaire!"!!!!!!GGGGRRRR!!!
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Emma - your not alone my hubby is exactly the same. He's having a beer as i speak & we're meant to be bding tonight!
  • Options
    God, I go through hell and miss all my favourite things for a baby. I asked him if he was serious about having one and he said yeah but it won't hurt. He had 5 pints last night and he has had 6 during the day today at Rugby so in 25.5 hours he has had 11 beers - believe me, I went potty!!!!!!
  • Options
    lol you sure you dont have my hubby there...

remember my lovly post to him the other night,saying how fab he is and he got his vitamin pills and zinc tablets................well he took them the other day and washed them dowm with a beer......yes a beer and today i caught him at it again today i just mentioned it to him and he said next to having sex with me its the only other enjoyable thing he gets to do..........i also have to add he just got a slap round the head lol
  • Options
    I've given up at going potty...........it doesn't get me anywhere. My hubby has had 7 today & then about the same yesterday! Who invented BEER!!!
  • Options
    oh *Impatient* dont bash the beer lol i love it xx

[Modified by: grudie on April 04, 2009 08:47 PM]

• Options
    but my hubby loves it too much!!

But saying that we managed to concieve last oct & neither of us changed what we were eating / drinking. Unfortunatley i had an ectopic.
  • Options
    They just don't understand, he upsets me so much sometimes. I get told just to RELAX, CHILL and it will happen and he hasn't got a clue. Bang goes my happy Saturday night, we are not talking now. Not that he is capable of talking, more like slurring. He actually turns into the most unattractive man I know.
  • Options
    There is little doubt that alcohol affects male fertility negatively. The more pertinent question is : how much alcohol is too much to threaten fertility and what damage to fertility will too much alcohol cause?

So how much is too much? Studies have shown that drinking more than four ounces of alcohol a day is bad for your reproductive system. As an example, a bottle of beer or a glass of wine contains about half an ounce of alcohol. Alcohol concentration depends largely on the kind of drink that is consumed but taking beer as a guide, 8 bottles of beer a day will give you 4 ounces of alcohol content. This is certainly going to do harm to your fertility.

Here's how alcohol actually affects male fertility :-

1. Alcoholism (excessive consumption of alcohol) raises the estrogen level in men. This will in turn interfere with his hormones and sperm development. Why? Because alcohol is a toxin that tends to kill sperm generating cells in men. Worse still, chronic alcoholism can cause atrophy in the testicles, gynecomastia and the lack of sexual interest.

2. Excessive alcohol consumption causes a disorder in the gonads resulting in changes in the structure of the testicles and decline in the T serum level. A drop in the is T serum level can cause male infertility.

3. The toxicity of excessive alcohol can reduce sperm density or sperm count. Typically the volume of a single ejaculate is 3 milliliters (sometimes reaching six milliliter per ejaculate) with 120 million sperm cells per ml. But alcohol can cause a drastic reduction in these figures. In addition, alcohol can result in abnormalities in sperm size, shape and the sperm tail. Sperm motility can also be affected negatively.

4. Excessive alcohol alters the regular oval head and a straight tail of the healthy sperm cell. This change in sperm shape can seriously compromise the viability of the spermatozoa. Also, chronic alcoholism damages the sperm morphology that often has irreversible effects.

(Note: Drinking too much alcohol can also cause impotence and liver damage)

If in doubt, do a semen analysis test to determine the state of your fertility. Sperms normally take about three months to develop. So if you want to have your sperm analyzed, you must abstain from sexual activity during this period to get a clearer and more reliable reading regarding the health and the condition of the sperm that is produced.

You don't always have to see a Urologist if you want to do semen analysis. You can save yourself a lot of money by using a laboatory technician instead. Another option is to use a semen analysis test kit which can do the job for you in the privacy of your home. You can get a good, basic information about the health of your semen and sperm.

Just like in men, alcoholism also can also affect the reproductive health of mothers too. Some of the causes are : ovarian dysfunction, amenorrhea, anovulation, luteal phase defect, hyperprolactinemia etc.

To conclude, if you are serious about getting a baby, then curbing your drinking habit is an important consideration.

i found this havnt read it all but it looked good xx
  • Options
    what you want to be a perfect romantic night can so easily turn into a quick fumble under the covers after hubby has had a few lagers.
  • Options
    Im so glad I read this!! Inearly cried reading it in fact, this is our biggest issue in our relationship. EmmaH- I totally agree with you, I cant stand to be near oh when he has had too many, I find him repulsive and this lasts for a few days, it really upsets me.
    The trouble with us is he and my brother are very good friends but they are such bad influences on each other and spur each other to drink.
    His drinking bothers me because its me that puts up with the drunkard partner and me that has to put up with the hangovers all the time!!!
    Saying all that, we had a big row last month and he hasnt touched a drop since, he wanted to prove to me he doesnt need it and has promised he will def cut down, Mainly cut out midweek drinkin unless footie is on and cut down what hes drinking on the weekends.
  • Options
    We have the beer debate almost constantly. It's amazing how the points can add up. I read in Mariam Stoppards TTC book that both MTB and DTB should abstain from alcohol, but if this is not feasible then max number of units is 2 per week for the girlie and 7 per week for the bloke.

That is so little! OH was amazing on Saturday - he went out with his mates for birthday drinks and managed to keep his consumption down to only 3 pints, when normally it would have been more like 8. But a pint at lunchtime yesterday means he's already over his weekly limit. And he's actually trying really hard! We're off this week and seeing friends/out for dinner every day, which means he'll probably be drinking every day.

Society seems to find it more acceptable for the girl to not drink (I tend to stick to soft drinks) but our families and mates would find it v weird if OH was not drinking.

I don't really have any conclusions, I agree that it's a hard part of TTC. The odd beer will probably make little difference, but regular jaunts on the beer bus will damage his swimmers and more importantly make us VERY cross with them. It makes you feel like your his mother and he's 16....
  • Options
    Tooty Fruity/Goldilocks - thanks so much, it really is a tough one and i'm so glad i'm not alone.
    Our argument lasted until about 11pm last night, he could hardly stay awake cos of the beer, he thinks oh it's a different day so can have more but when I pointed out he started drinking at 7pm on Friday and then at 12.30pm on Saturday it was actually 11 beers in 24 hours and he was embarassed but you know what men do when they get embarassed, argue the bloody odds!
    He then tried the whole "your obsessed, your anxious, you spend too mcuh time on that forum" and then said you should talk to me more often, if he thinks i'm being obsessed with what i tell him now, god forbid if he knew half the things we spoke about on here.
    Grudie - i'm sorry but beer is a bad thing for people who can't control themselves (and I know you can hehe!).
    Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge him the odd beer but I don't count 11 as odd. On Friday at 5DPO I had 2 SMALL glasses of wine and I mean small.
    I have seen that if I say don't drink at all he has 2 or 3 to defy me, If I say have 2 or 3 then he has 5! It is like having a child and I hate being "mum" but do us girls really have any other option?
    I just don't think they realise that when a woman decides to have a baby with her husband hormones go into overdrive that she can't help. I can just "go with the flow" as my heart would be crushed every month, we can't help that.
    Thanks again girls for replying, love to you all!
    xxx
  • Options
    i dont begrudge scott a beer either,he has a stressfull job and likes to have a drink at the weekend to try be normal for the day,i cant rememeber that last time he was actually drunk tho,he doesnt drink when watching FB/Rugby/Boxing during the week just the weekends,he knows that he doesnt need to get smashed as we have Lennon anyway so dont drink major,and yep i still have a drink when i can in the weekends,we dont go out very much so enjoy having a little tipple in the house,if you knew how much i used to drink before you would think i was being a saint,and hubby lol

• Options
    After posting on here last night, me & my hubby ended up arguing about drink. He went off on a sulk cos he thought i was whinging to you all about him............didn't actually tell him that i was!! Ooops!!
    To make thinks worse we were meant to be bding last night. Anyway, after much discussion my husband said that the thing he wants the most is to give me a baby (which i knew already) & because of that he wont drink alcohol on the weeks that we are ttc...........................and we ending up bding last night!!
  • Options
    Fab impatient. Well not that you argued - it must have been in the water!!!
    Why is it that men feel so hard done by eh!
    Grudie - I think cos you have lennon he knows that he has to get on with things even if he has a hangover cos kids don't want for noone.
    My one worry is he still prats around like a teenager when we have a newborn and i'll end up doing everything but when I asked him that he said no it will be different with a baby!!! Guess only time wiill tell.
    Have decided not to tel OH i'm on here so much and just explained FF to him and showed him my chart and showed him what my chart should look like if i'm PG or if AF is about to show and my symptons and stuff and he seemed quite interested!
    xxx
  • Options
    Its so difficult to get men to understand they have as much of a part to play in fertility as women. But they do.

I saw my GP on friday and she said DH should cut the booze out altogether for the best possible chances. As Grudie posted earlier, medical evidence is pretty conclusive that booze affects sperm quality.

Why not tell him if he wont give up neither will you! you are in this together and this might make him realise it !

good luck

• Options
    When I was TTC my acupuncturist who was also a nutritionist told me it was more damaging for the man to drink than the woman!
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

I could have written any one of your posts!! My DH is exactly the same and has no idea how it is affecting our chances! But i just cant get through to him at times. Im thinking of getting one of those DIY tests for his swimmers just to shock him into thinking!!
    And his best line to me when im trying to tell him about alcohol is " Well if it's that bad why are there so many pissed up teen pregnancies then?" To which i just get rage!!! lol
  • Options
    Em7
    OMG - My OH said that to me yesterday, it works for all those 15 year olds in the town centre drinking white lightening doesn't it I was like ERRR - what about giving baby the best start in life. He just shrugged it off.
    I was sooo going to get one of those kits to prove him wrong but nothing his luck it will come back excellent!
    xxx
  • Options
    Ha ha yeah I know thats what stopped me in the end! If it came back really good he would just think he was super stud and it is all my fault!!! MEN!?!
    Think im going to have him read that post from grudie though..it's worth a shot! xx