Getting Pregnant <
Trying to conceive
01/11/2013 at 09:43
OK so I'm back from the consultants and in a right state about what to do next. Apparently one of my fibroids does intrude into the uterus, but there's still no way of knowing if it contributed to the miscarriage. However, in future if the egg implants near it, it will cause problems and the embryo won't develop. If an egg implants away from it, there's no problem. I have been offered surgery in 2 weeks time to remove it, that shouldn't affect my cycles, BUT I then can't ttc OR dtd for a month afterwards due to risk of infection. And of course if I get pregnant in the meantime but don't know about it (i.e. before tests show a bfp) then I'll lose that pregnancy as well, although I won't know I was ever pregnant.
My gut feeling is to wait until I get AF after the mc, try for another cycle and see, then go for surgery after that, but maybe that's a bit silly, since if I DO get a bfp then, it may implant in the wrong place and cause another mc. Consultant said if I was having IVF it would definitely be removed to decrease the variables, but it was up to me if and when I wanted anything done. And she reiterated that the mc could have absolutely nothing to do with this!
Any advice or thoughts?
01/11/2013 at 09:51
Personally, I'd have the surgery now. I think its better to get it out of the way, and then you won't be as nervous when you get a BFP about whether it will be sustainable or not.
01/11/2013 at 09:53
In your position i would opt for the surgery now, recover and then crack on with TTC. Obviously it is entirely your decision at the end of the day and only one you can make.
01/11/2013 at 10:07
Hi Barefoot - I've got two fibroids, ones 2.5cm and ones 1cm. if you imagine the womb is like this ( ) mine are at the top, abit like this (* ) so I was told it should be ok, but at my 12 week scan I have to get them to check on it because they can grow signicantly during pregnancy and I have a lot of stretch marks that have appeared on that side of my tummy only. are yours more mid way down, like (~ )? (sorry, really hard to explain on the computer)
From what I've always heard of fibroid removal is that they can come back, and that it can cause damage inside. I've no idea if thats true or not though, I just remember looking into it before (online admittedly) and agreeing with my H that if we've gone a long time and nothings happened pregnancy wise then we would consider removing but we didnt like the idea of removing before just incase it did cause damage.
As someone with fibroids I can only really share what my gut reaction to it all was, which is that i personally wouldnt remove. I know I've been told that due to the location of mine it shouldnt affect pregnancys and maybe if i had been told that it would I may have had a different reaction to remove them.
I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope in some way you can find some closure, but try not to be too hard on yourself. xx
01/11/2013 at 10:09
i would have the surgery now, the short wait to ttc again after the surgery far outweighs the pain and upset of another miscarriage?
01/11/2013 at 10:10
WMS. I would defo have the surgery now, rather than knowingly run the risk of another mc. I'm sorry you're going through this x
01/11/2013 at 10:28
Wishful thanks. I have a few. Most aren't a problem, but this one intrudes into the uterus, midway down. My fear is that surgery will cause it's own complications, and of course the consultant couldn't say otherwise. If I knew it would definitely affect a pregnancy, or that it was even probably the cause of the mc, then I wouldn't hesitate. It's just that it could be completely unrelated. I know a wait shouldn't be a problem either, but I'm 40 in Feb so that is also affecting my decision. I am also thinking that if I have it removed, and conceive again, and have another miscarriage anyway, will I always wonder if the surgery caused it, same as I'm wondering about the fibroid now? I know there are no answers, it's just such a hard decision. I don't have to decide today, however.
01/11/2013 at 10:34
I'd def have the surgery, I'd put ttc on hold till surgery done. My friend had a fibroid but didnt realise, got pregnant, bled throughout so they diagnosed fibroids, it grew loads whilst she was pregnant and they had to crash section her as it caused placental abruption at 34 weeks, if they are offering surgery in 2 weeks I'd take it at least you don't need to wait months
01/11/2013 at 10:49
Well I won't have to wait as long as BUPA will pay. They argued over the MRI!! Hubby is going to call them today and ask, since that will also affect our decision. If they won't pay, its other a wait for months on the NHS (and we won't put off ttc for that long) or self fund it, but not sure of costs. Aaaargh why can't life be simple??
01/11/2013 at 11:39
Sorry for your loss. I would have the surgery now. Although one month seems like an eternity it really isn't (I had to not try for six months and it went quicker than I thought it would). Also if they can't be sure about the link to the mc I would rather not risk it. Sorry you have to make the decision. X
01/11/2013 at 20:21
I would either not DTD or use protection for the next two weeks. A BFP would then show up by op day so there would be no risk of unintentionally terminating a pregnancy.
Whilst everything feels like an age whilst TTC, 6 weeks (total) really is nothing. You can try and use the time to focus in healing your heart and mind knowing it is all systems go at Christmas x
01/11/2013 at 22:54
I agree with the majority too bf. I think I would have the surgery and then try again.
I think Duckys suggestion is a good one, use protection for 2 weeks so you can test the day before the surgery and then know that you're not pregnant/are pregnant.
02/11/2013 at 11:34
Hi Barefoot. Although no experience of that, I too agree with the majority and have the surgery now.... that would be my reaction I think if I was in the same situation.
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.