Getting Pregnant <
Trying to conceive
28/05/2013 at 11:09
Hello & welcome to The Mumdrum! Our Trying to Conceive (TTC) board is the place to chat about the frustrations and joys of trying to conceive. Our current forum members are an incredibly passionate and supportive bunch, so please jump in.
Here are some top tips for getting started:
- You'll need to Join The Mumdrum to start posting.
- You can add a Forum Name and Forum Avatar (picture) by going to your Settings and choosing the 'Forum Settings' tab.
- Start a new thread to introduce yourself - adding a few details such as your stage of TTC is a great ice-breaker.
- There are no silly questions, so ask away.
- The more you put in, the more you'll get out - respond to other people's threads and they're much more likely to respond to yours.
- Want to know what all those abbreviations are?! Find out here: Forum Abbreviations
- If you get the news you've been hoping for, our Baby Talk board is the place to discuss pregnancy, birth and beyond.
- And we also have an Off Topic board to chat about everything else: fashion, jobs, latest news....
- Please remember this is a public forum, so we don't suggest you add personal details such as your e-mail address.
- And if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com.
28/05/2013 at 11:43
The most common TTC abbreviations:
2WW - 2 week wait - the loooong wait between ovulation and when your period is due; 14 days on average, hence the name. Basically another term for Luteal Phase, but used if you are in with a shot of being pregnant, with the 2ww feels like forever.
BD - Baby Dance. A sickly sweet term for sexytime. If you need your husband to perform, don't ask him to Baby Dance!
BFP - Big Fat Positive (pregnancy test)
BFN - Big Fat Negative
CD - Cycle Day
DPO - Days post ovulation
DTD - Do the deed i.e. sex
FMU - First morning urine. Nice and concentrated and the best for detecting early pregnancy hormones
HCG - Human chorionic gonadotropin. A hormone released after an embryo implants and is what gives you a positive pregnancy test.
IC - Internet cheapie test. Either pregnancy tests of OPKs, usually purchased in bulk from Amazon or eBay.
IUI - Intrauterine insemination - putting the spermies where they need to be at the right time
LH - Luteinising hormone. A surge in this causes the follicle to rupture and release the egg within shortly afterwards.
LP - Luteal phase, the part of your cycle between ovulation and your period
MD - Mumdrum
OPK - Ovulation predictor kit. It detects a surge in hormone LH just before you release an egg.
OV - Ovulation
POAS - Pee on a stick (pregnany test or OPK, not one from a tree)
TCOYF - Taking charge of your fertility. A mucus bible.
TTC - Trying to conceive
EC - Egg collection
ET - Embryo Transfer
OTD - Official test date - given to you by the clinic
DR - Down regulating
Stims - Injections to make the eggs grow
10dp5dt - 10 days post 5 day (blastocyst/embryo) transfer
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.