Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

pcos / metformin / norethisterone & clomid

HI i have pretty bad pcos and very irregular cycles af been only twice this year! im on metformin which i take 3 times a day! I tried using ov sticks but kept getting +ive on every one i used i think its because my hormones are so unbalanced.

We have been ttc our second for a year now, been to GP and they have put me on notethisterone (which will be my last day of taking it tomorrow) then has prescribed clomid to be taken cycle days 2 - 6 then to go for a blood test on cycle day 21 to see if i have ov. Has anyone else been put on norethisterone to bring on af before taking clomid? im convinced that its not going to work!! does anyone know when af usually starts after the nothisterone has finished?

any advice is would be appreciated im just soooooooo confused right now!!:\(

Replies

• Options
    I havent had nothistoron to bring on an af though I remember my GP talking about it as an option. I had very irregular cycles after coming off the pill the last time & was tested for pcos but it came back negative. However my cycles were soo irregular & the pill wasnt leaving my system so I was prescribed clomid & fell pregnant in the 2nd month of taking & now Zara is nearly 6 months. I know its a slightly different situation to yours but I just thought it might help reassure you that the clomid really does work.

Good luck & sending lots of babydust your way xx
  • Options
    Hi there - I wasn't perscribed norethisterone - as I was luckily on day 2 when I saw my gyne - I too have only had 3 afs in 14/15 months - I am on my first month of clomid - I'm on day 26 today - so will have to wait to see if it's worked - I've had day 21 blood tests - I'll try and get the results on tuesday when I get my day 28 blood tests done.

I tested yesterday on day 25 - because I'm a poas addict!!! But it was BFN!! But I think it was only 10 days after ov - so may have been to early - but trying not to get my hopes up!

I don't know anything about norethisterone but I can't tell you when taking clomid my af got quite light - so it slowed down my af!

Are you a member of the Verity website? This is a site purely for PCOS sufferers - I'm on there - we are all going through the same thing - so there is bound to be someone on there whos going through or been through the same thing as you.

Good luck hun - and hope you get your BFP soon.

Love M

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Options
    thankyou both for your very helpful replys it means alot ive heard so many stories about clomid, good and bad!! i was prescribed it over 2 years ago but i never got far enough to take them as i discovered i was already pregnant!! i was hoping the same would happen again!!

Its so hard never knowing when to expect the next af and sometimes i convince my self i am pregnant as with the last pregnancy i didnt have af for 4 months before I caught so i find myself forever poas!! but as ive already found out from this site IM NOT ALONE!!!!

taken my last noreisterone just now so presume af will come knocking within the next few days then i can get cracking on my 1st cylce of clomid!! quite nervous!!

I will definately check out verity so thankyou for that will be nice to know there are others in my position!! once again many thanks and good luck both you've been very helpful!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    hi like you i'm on 500mg x3 daily metformin

10mg x2 daily norethisterone

and i have clomide to take on day 2 to 6....i am on day 7 of norethisterone and should take it for 14 days....i'm tempted to stop taking it now and hope i will still get a period so i can start the clomide. i'm sure you'll feel the same about wanting to get the clomide started now!..how long is your cycle of norethisterone?
  • Options

just because we have pcos doesnt mean we cant fall naturally there are drugs that can give us a regular cycle, like me im so irregular but i started my fertility and since then i have been regular unfortunately my partner also has a problem which makesit harder but i  have been told theres still a chance of natural pregnancy, i suppose wot im trying to say is never give up it can happen and dont put so much pressure on your self, like me my pcos is all over and cant be treated, but if its only you without partner issues then theres plenty of hope still, i have 1% of natural and i havnt given up and niether should anyone, all the best to u all from a lady who has ttc for 8 yrs keep the faith xxx

• Options

i to have pcos for the past 12 years, i have never had regular cycles 1 in a year if im lucky. i concieved naturally in born 09/2001, ans was on norethisterone and clomid for 2 years and nothing had 2 years off then again on them for 2 years and nothing. in 2009 i started metformin and concieved born 04/2011. been on metformin ever since with no luck and had 1 cycle in 14 months. we are wanting another baby close as possible to this one and then thats it. but fingers crossed it dont take another 10 years again its so stressfull as i never have cylcle or ovulate my doctors are useless and never want to try anything there must be something out there that can help me have regular cycles and ovulate.

• Options

i tried for a baby with my ex partner for 2 years before being referred to my fertility doctor. he put me on northisterone which bought me on my period then i had to start taking chlomid on the 2nd day of my period for 5 days. then went to have a unltrasound scan to see if i was due for ovulation and to my surprise i was going to ovulate the weekend after my scan. and luckily it worked first time for us. as you can imagine having endometriosis and PCOS and being told i was infertile for many of years i was overjoyed. i would recommend this treatment

• Options

i have just been given norethisterone and clomid, but unsure how long and when do i start the tablets. i have pcos and rarely have periods. please help

• Options

I have pcos I conceived my daughter naturally 5 years been trying for the last 3 years nothing! My gp wouldn't help me coz I have a child so I paid privately the dr prescribed me northisterone and clomid finished the northisterone yesterday just waiting to come on little got a + on my ovulation test yesterday has anybody else had this? I'm meant to have a scan on 10th-14th after starting my period to see if I am ovulating

• Options

Hi Lou,

I had the same treatment as you a few years back. I can't remember the schedule accurately, but I am sure af came within a couple of days of finishing the norethisterone (sp?) and the cd1 is first full day of af- clomid is taken on cd2-5 (I think).  But if you have any doubts of what you should be doing, I would call the fertility clinic- the nurses I spoke to were always really helpful. Good luck x

• Options

Hi all. I was perscribed Norethisterone last month to bring on my period which I hadnt had for almost 6 months - since early April 2013. I have PCOS - diagnosed years ago. I had miscarried at 5 weeks after taking 1 cycle of Clomid back in February after trying for 3 years. I had been waiting for another period to start taking Clomid again but nothing happened. 

I went to the Gynae and they gave me Norethisterone to take for 10 days and was told to expect a period 3-5 days after taking the tabs and to start CLomid on CD2. 10 days later no sign of my period  but was experiencing sore breasts so even though I didnt think it was possible, I took a test and it was +!! 

I went to the doctor and they confirmed doubling HCG levels last week! Im still in shock.image 

They told me the Norethisterone wouldn't have done my pregnancy any harm and they think Im just over 6 weeks now.

I have an early scan in the morning and very nervous..... 

• Options

I have been on the process of Norethisterone and clomid to fall pregnant which we did for 12 months then fell in. the second try of clomid 150ml we fell pregnant, unfortunately we miscarried. Now my Gyno has started me on metformin and then on to Norethisterone and clomid, as this may help to stop miscarriage the next time. I'm hoping this works. To answer your question though, Norethisterone and clomid process does work. It will depend on the clomid if you ovulate. This post you have done it quite old, I'm wonderign if you had any success?

• Options

have you tried going the herbal approach I have pcos and did have AF for over a year I started with natural herbal medicine and my  cyst have shrunk by over 70% in a month and my cycle is starting to regulate. it is slightly expensive but it worked for me x

• Options
    Hi everyone,

Have recently read many posts on this thread but am new to this so please forgive me if I don't use correct terminology!

I have been ttc for 5 years now with my partner who I have been with for 7 years. He is 29 and I am 24.

At the age of 16 I was 38weeks and sadly lost my twin girls with previous partner, then at the age of 17 I lost my little boy at 21 weeks with my current partner, then at 18 I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks then couple months later lost another baby at 16 weeks, a few months after that I had an ectopic pregnancy and was treated with oral medication. I was then diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis which was lazered off in 2010. I have ha two miscarriages both at 14 weeks since then.

I was referred to fertility in September 2013 and after being told to lower my BMI which I did I was then given all tests and so was my partner which all came back really good!

I started taking 50mg of clomid on 17th dec 13 (D2 of my cycle) until 21st dec 13 (D6). I experienced no side effects. I had a scan on D8 and was told there were 3 small follicles all under 10mm in size. On D14 of my cycle I was told to start my OPKs which came up positive up until D17 of my cycle and me and my partner were active everyday.

I then had my progesterone levels checked on D22 and received results on D24 which showed progesterone levels at 41 which showed I had ovulated image!

On D26 I had slight period cramps and a negative pregnancy test on D28 image and cramps again on D29 and D30 image

Now just waiting for my period to come so I can start my second round of clomid (docs are keeping me at 50mg)

I'm so disheartened and confused as to why this round didn't work as I had sex on correct dates based on docs advise and OPKs and my progesterone levels showed I had ovulated as my levels were 41 so don't understand what want wrong!

If anyone else is going through this or similar then please rest as I really feel like I'm alone at the minute :'(

Thank you and good luck to you all that are trying to conceive xx