Getting Pregnant <
Trying to conceive
09/04/2014 at 08:57
We're on our 6th cycle of ttc this month, and yesterday I saw a job advertised that I'm really interested in. The only problem is, my current job has a *very* good maternity package, and if I got this new job and I fell pregnant in the next year then I would only be on stat mat. But then I feel that it's not happened the past 5 cycles, so why would it happen any time soon? It's also more money (probably about £4/hr more)
I realise that I've got to apply ad see what happens, as I might not even get an interview or offer, but I'm trying to give myself plenty of time to think about this decision
09/04/2014 at 09:20
This is something I have been thinking about recently too. I'm really not happy in my current role and have started to look elsewhere. My current job also has a good maternity package, so its a difficult decision to make.
The application/ interview process could take a couple of months, so maybe apply and go from there?
09/04/2014 at 09:37
This is also something I have thought about numerous times but again I have a good maternity package at work. I am sticking out my job for now as it actually isn't that bad at the moment and there is nothing that has caught me eye. I would say apply for the job and see what happens, you might go for an interview and decide it's not for you anyway or they might have a good maternity package as well.
09/04/2014 at 09:40
Yes, do apply for it and wait to see - don't overthink things now. You can weigh up the pros and cons when you have the job offer on the table. At the end of it, if you do get the offer and decide it's better to stay or you get your BFP, you can always reject the offer with the explanation - no HR rep would ever have an issue wit that.
Also, regarding the 5 cycles, don't beat yourself up - think positive. It can and will happen for you!
09/04/2014 at 10:06
Thanks ladies, I'll definitely go for it if I can. I've emailed the manager as I haven't got one of the qualifications they want but am doing the course in September, so will see.
I know the mat package is pants until you've been there a year, as it's standard for this kind of workplace. I have to give two months' notice so if I got a BFP in that time, then I could change my mind and I'm sure my current boss wouldn't mind - I've worked here for 5 years so she'd only be happy for me! I guess if starting a new job invoked the law of sod then I wouldn't mind being poor/coping.
Tayto - I know what you're saying, and thank you :) Just struggling a bit to feel positive at the mo x
09/04/2014 at 10:11
It's a really hard one, I changed just before falling pregnant, and now have sod all mat benefits, but we talked it over and decided that we couldn't rest something like that on the maybe of falling pregnant. For us it just seemed wrong when I needed to make the move.
The advice to go for it and see is really good. Perhaps you could negotiate better holiday pay or perhaps they're more open-minded about flexi hours, what I'm trying to say is the choice might not be totally clear cut and it might be the best move. Good luck! :)
09/04/2014 at 10:26
I don't want to give too much on here (for those that know who I am, this post will make perfect sense!) but I have very good benefits at the moment, so I know that this new job would be a cut in holidays, sick pay and maternity benefits. I have worked in this sort of environment before so know it's less flexible, but it would be Mon-Fri and no bank holidays, etc
09/04/2014 at 11:01
You should apply for it *Hazel* and see what happens. Do you know for sure that you wouldn't be entitled to an enhanced package? I know with my work, So long as you weren't pregnant before you started the job, then you are entitled to the enhanced package.
09/04/2014 at 12:26
I'm certain that it'll be the same across the board and you have to be there for a year before going onto the better stuff. I'll obviously check somehow before if I need to
09/04/2014 at 16:26
I would go for it too! If you get it, and are on more money, you could try and put a bit extra aside for if you only get SMP.
16/04/2014 at 13:53
Bumping this as it's something that I'm thinking about at the moment.
Hazel, did you decide to go for it? I'm not very happy where I am at the moment as I don't see any development there for me careerwise and have seen a position I'd like to go for which would be a step up, something I've been wanting for a while. But the only thing putting me off applying was the whole "what if" thing but I guess I can't let something like that sway me. But it's still a dilemma!
16/04/2014 at 14:16
Funnily enough Enjayee, I sent the application form in about an hour ago! I'm just going to see what happens. The only hope I have of getting an interview is if no-one who's fully qualified goes for it. But then they are asking for a lot of things!
17/04/2014 at 19:26
Ah, good stuff Hazel! I talked to my husband about it yesterday and I'm definitely going to put the feelers out. Then if I do fall I can change my plans, I don't want TTC to mean that I'm treading water for a "just in case", you know? Best of luck! X
Continues below ad
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.