Getting Pregnant <
Trying to conceive
14/08/2014 at 14:25
So as I have to wait at least another 6 months maybe even a year for more tests on the NHS I've been thinking about going private. I just want to know what is going on and I've also read good things about the HyCoSy if all is clear (although I'm scared of having it done). I've just found a clinic near where I live that can do all the tests, I have also found out my private health insurace covers fertility testing so I will only have to pay around £200 for £800 worth of tests and appointments.
My question is would you go for it or just wait? Am I just being really impatient?
14/08/2014 at 15:05
I would definitely go Lulu - I see no reason to wait. Will your Insurance request you to fulfil certain criteria before allowing you to go?
Do you mind me asking - how did things go when you first went to your Docs? As in, did they ask anything about you charting/opks etc?
14/08/2014 at 15:31
If you can afford it then I'd do it just as I know how frustrating it is 'doing nothing' when something could be wrong. How long have you been TTC? Please forgive my ignorance as I don't come on this board very often x
14/08/2014 at 16:08
Tayto - No the insurance will just pay it, all I have to do is pay the excess on it, it is really good cover I have here! No I don't mind you asking at all, the doc said we had to be trying for 2 years but would send me for 21 day bloods and h for a sa, these both came back ok. She said she would try and refer us in 6 months but I just don't know if I can wait that long and even if she does refer us I guess there would be a waiting list for the rest of the tests. She didn't ask anything about charting or opks I did tell her I tried them though.
Browny - Thanks for your reply, that is how I feel I hate the waiting around feeling like I'm not doing anything! We've been trying for a year now x
14/08/2014 at 16:33
I would go for it to Lulu - that sounds like good insurance! Waiting around can be so hard so if you dont have to thats a bonus xx
14/08/2014 at 16:39
That's great they don't Lulu - I already noticed my Bupa doesn't cover fertility treatment - unfortunately, it's the type of corporate scheme we have.
I agree with Browny & if I recall correctly, MrsB's sister is in the same boat. No real/proper investigations done; just told to wait 2 years due to age.
Definitely go for it and see how you get on; I have my fingers tightly crossed for you xx
14/08/2014 at 17:56
I would definately go for it, it's such an emotionally draining process & if you can make it any easier / shorter for you both then it's money well spent.
I am one if the HSG miracle bfp so any questions feel free to private mail me.
14/08/2014 at 20:50
Hey Lulu - as you know I'm at pretty much the same stage and am also in a 2 year area so it's something we've to think about too (although no insurance here). Can I ask are there tests other than the HSG that you are thinking of? I've had the 21 day tests and an ultrasound to confirm no fibroids etc. Part of my thinking was that if I know I'm ovulation I wasn't too sure what else they could do?
15/08/2014 at 08:10
Like the others have said, I'd definitely go for it. You're not being impatient at all. We all know how TTC can seem to make time go so slowly sometimes (just look at the 2ww!) - it's only natural you want to move things along as quickly as you can.
15/08/2014 at 09:11
Thanks again for your thoughts ladies I am going to go for it but wait until after my holiday in September now.
Tayto - It only covers the tests up until diagnosis so no treatment on it unfortunately, completely understandable though.
SaSaSi - Thank you for the offer I would definitely like to chat when its comes round to it although going by your ticker you might be busy :-) I remember reading your story on Saffron's post about the HyCoSy it is amazing.
veecee - The only other test really is a blood test to check ovarian reserve and I'd also like to speak to a private doctor as well, when talking to the clinic yesterday by the time you add up those three tests I might as well go for the full testing package and have everything done again (as she said they might even look at things differently to what the NHS have already done) so I thought we could do them all again and have all the results in one place as well. The other tests are not too bad so not bothered about having them again. Have you had a look at private clinics near you? x
15/08/2014 at 10:33
Haha I'm sure I'll find 5 minutes to reply :)
I remember the TTC woes & infertility aspect so so well, I fact I'm already worried about TTC2 because of it so I'm not sure it really ever leaves you once you've experienced it.
I'm only happy to help if I can x
15/08/2014 at 11:36
That's very interesting to know Lulu. Sounds like you should go for it. I've looked briefly but they don't have too much info on line. I think I'd have to phone and I'm not sure OH is ready for that kind of step yet (he hasn't had the SA done yet, and is hesitant about testing generally - still in the 'it'll happen soon' mindset).
15/08/2014 at 14:02
Thanks SaSaSi! I hope when you get to number 2 it will be easier!
veecee - I know what you mean with your H I sometimes think am I over reacting but then when I look back I know we've been trying every month so no I'm not over reacting. H flips from saying it will happen soon to why hasn't it happened we need to do whatever we can, he is a bit reluctant about doing more tests at the moment which is why we are compromising and going to wait until after our holiday.
18/08/2014 at 15:50
I would definitely go for it, Lulu xxx
18/08/2014 at 17:37
Hi Lulu, I would definitely go for it especially as you have the cover, it's what it's there for after all xx
Continues below ad
with our partner Childcare.co.uk
Nice to see you! Please do nose around, sign up and join in.