Parents warned not to give their babies gem encrusted dummies due to choking fears
Babies’ dummies decorated with hand glued gems have been seized by local authorities due to serious safety concerns. The so called ‘bling dummies’ generally tend to be well known branded items with gems, beads or magnets simply glued onto them. The sparkly dummies may look pretty and fun, but the small pieces can lead to choking, inhalation and ingestion by babies. Standard practice of sterilising soothers before they’re used is said to easily dislodge the glue. The products have reportedly failed all safety tests and parents are being urged not to use them. Suffolk County Council has removed bling adorned baby products from several retailers and independent sellers, with further warnings that if the gems clump together they could block a baby’s airways. Kay Hammond, Surrey County Council’s cabinet minister for community safety warned, “Anyone caught selling ‘bling’ dummies or bottles could face a fine of up to £20,000”. Many sites now host messages confirming they’ve been advised to cease selling them.
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk