Trading Standards officers warn about the potential choking and strangulation hazards that could be posed by amber teething necklaces, bracelets and anklets
Parents are being warned about the possible choking or strangulation risks that could be posed by beaded teething necklaces, bracelets and anklets.
The teething products, made from amber stones, are meant to work by releasing a natural anaesthetic, but health experts suggest there is no evidence that this is the case, reports The Sun.
Trading Standards officers from Nottinghamshire County Council have issued a warning about the safety of the beaded teething items. The Daily Mail reports that while some of the necklaces have been withdrawn from the market, they're still available online. They might also be found at markets around the UK.
“Although the necklaces are designed to be worn, not chewed, there is a serious risk involved in giving any product with small parts to small children. Should the beads or clasps become detached, the parts are a choking hazard and the necklace as a whole presents a risk of strangulation,” said Sarah Ridley, Trading Standards officer at Nottinghamshire County Council.
© Immediate Media Company Ltd 2012. This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited. www.immediatemedia.co.uk